Board decision- leaning Gnu - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2012, 08:53 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Board decision- leaning Gnu

Hey Guys,

This is my first post. I have been impressed by some of the board reviews, and responses, on this site so I thought I would just ask peoples opinions on which board I should by for the new season.

By way of background, I am 5'11 and 150 pnds and do not need a wide board. I like to get off piste as much as possible whether backcountry or sidecountry, a typical powderhound. I usually access the pow via resorts so this also involves a lot of piste bashing. Currently, I have beaten to death a Unity Pride, which I love, but I am looking for a board that is more stable on hard pack as I was frequently annoyed after a good day up top having such a sketchy time lower down.

Originally, I thought I wanted a more all round board. I had dreams of a true twin to ride switch on and be a little more playful and was thinking the TRS/ Riders choice.

However, I usually ride in St Anton/ Laax/ Davos with a trip to Revy/ Whistler/ Kicking Horse (back home) once a year and have accepted that I need a more directional board. I would like opinions on deciding between the Gnu Billy Goat, The Impossible, or the Jamie Lynn (or anything else- Jones for example). I am leaning Billy Goat as it looks a good combo of pow, speed and responsiveness and if I get that I was hoping for some insight on how I can source one in Zurich and if the 156 is long enough for me (my pride 159 seems long to me).

Many thanks; can't wait to hear your insights.
rg21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2012, 09:01 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Maybe

I know i learned on a "Directional Twin" board, that may be your answer to the shape. normally the bindings are slightly offset to the rear but if you move them both to the forwardmost position then theyre right in the middle.

and as far as length it depends on how you like to ride, if you ride as much big mountain as you say you do then i'd go bigger, i had a Neversummer legacy 166 last year that was the fastest steadiest board on the mountain but a nightmare in the park
murfy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:13 AM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rg21 View Post
Hey Guys,

This is my first post. I have been impressed by some of the board reviews, and responses, on this site so I thought I would just ask peoples opinions on which board I should by for the new season.

By way of background, I am 5'11 and 150 pnds and do not need a wide board. I like to get off piste as much as possible whether backcountry or sidecountry, a typical powderhound. I usually access the pow via resorts so this also involves a lot of piste bashing. Currently, I have beaten to death a Unity Pride, which I love, but I am looking for a board that is more stable on hard pack as I was frequently annoyed after a good day up top having such a sketchy time lower down.

Originally, I thought I wanted a more all round board. I had dreams of a true twin to ride switch on and be a little more playful and was thinking the TRS/ Riders choice.

However, I usually ride in St Anton/ Laax/ Davos with a trip to Revy/ Whistler/ Kicking Horse (back home) once a year and have accepted that I need a more directional board. I would like opinions on deciding between the Gnu Billy Goat, The Impossible, or the Jamie Lynn (or anything else- Jones for example). I am leaning Billy Goat as it looks a good combo of pow, speed and responsiveness and if I get that I was hoping for some insight on how I can source one in Zurich and if the 156 is long enough for me (my pride 159 seems long to me).

Many thanks; can't wait to hear your insights.
Riders Choice/TRS might be your best choice, even if they are true twins. Playful, versatile, good on ice/hardpack, pretty good float in powder (although not directional).
Major difference is the Pickle tech on the Riders Choice (different sidecuts on toe and heel side).

Billy Goat, Jamie Lynn are not what anybody would call playful boards.
Impossible is a twin, i.e., note directional. Slightly more playful than Goat/Jamie Lynn, but still quite an aggressive/charger board.

Last edited by hktrdr; 04-06-2013 at 08:12 AM.
hktrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:24 AM   #4 (permalink)

thanks, you have summarised that pretty well. I can see the benefit to the TRS/ Riders choice, and would love the playfulness. I can also see the logic in pickle tech (I think).

However, I suppose that, not being able to have two boards, an agressive charger is really what I am after. I am keen to hear peoples experiences of the Billy, Impossible, or Jamie Lynn. How are they in hard pack and in powder. Just looking for experience to inform the eventual purchase decision.
Old 11-25-2012, 12:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Hi,

Please post up your foot size as well. Rider height is not a factor in board sizing, but foot size is a big one.

Thanks!
Wiredsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

Sure, I am a size 9 (maybe 9.5)US.
I had heard the Gnus ride big, so am tempted to drop down to a 156. I know this is not powder condusive but I am looking for a bit of an all mountian board with a focus on the powder (and a lack of focus in the park). I am currently on a 159 and feel I am sometimes wrenching the thing round corners. I was also hoping the smaller Billy Goat might mitigate the stiffness a bit but let me know if my engineering logic is flawed here.

Last edited by rg21; 11-25-2012 at 12:19 PM.
Old 11-25-2012, 12:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by rg21 View Post
I had heard the Gnus ride big, so am tempted to drop down to a 156.
Ji rg,

It sounds very much like you are trying to find the correct cm size that you would ride in any of these boards. I would highly suggest that you abandon that goal. At 150 lbs, size 9, 156 will be a much better choice for you in the Billy goat than the 159. In the Impossible you will want the 152.

The tip to tip length of a board is not a valuable measurement. Advice like, "Gnus ride big" is equally incorrect. Every board model has been designed for a specific rider weight range and foot size range. This will vary from model to model even within a brand. The reason your 159 was feeling unwieldy was almost certainly because it was too large for you in that specific model.

Once you have this corrected you will be very pleasantly surprised by how easy the correct board can be!
Old 11-25-2012, 12:59 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks, that is all very informative. Is the shoe size just about width (toe drag). And, are you basing the sizing off the individual boards (a great point) on the manufactures specs, ie weight?

I also looked at the Trice but eliminated it based on it's wider width.
Old 11-25-2012, 01:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Hi Again,

When designing a board a manufacturer can only accomodate a certain foot size range for any given size of deck. Stance width and angle will effect this range. Essentially, at your chosen width and angle you will need to exceed the boards width (with your bare foot) to gain leverage but not by so much as to cause critical toe drag.

Similarly each size in a given model has a weight range that will be able to comfortably flex the core and laminates while not distorting the shape unintentionally.

You will get the maximum out of any design when you are centerred in the weight and foot size range for that deck.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:49 PM   #10 (permalink)

Never Summer are little overrated I think.

I like mervin and capita anyday over them
NWskunkAPE is offline   Reply With Quote