Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   not sure if I made the right decision (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/51558-not-sure-if-i-made-right.html)

Sora 11-26-2012 08:04 AM

not sure if I made the right decision
 
Hey all, this is my first post to this website. I started snowboarding last season and decided that this season I would do a seasonal rental and brush up my skills before I stepped up to a new board. But unfortunately cyber monday got me and I wound up buying a ride arcade ul 160. I couldnt pass up the deal, but now im worried that the board may be to large for me. Im 5'11 190 lbs and a size 10.5 boot. I plan to board on and off piste and I doubt much powder seeeing as I board mostly in the northeast. Id like to work on jumping and a little park here and there. So any advice you can throw at me would be greatly appreciated. Should I return this board for a 157 of another brand of board?

Wiredsport 11-26-2012 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sora (Post 543455)
Hey all, this is my first post to this website. I started snowboarding last season and decided that this season I would do a seasonal rental and brush up my skills before I stepped up to a new board. But unfortunately cyber monday got me and I wound up buying a ride arcade ul 160. I couldnt pass up the deal, but now im worried that the board may be to large for me. Im 5'11 190 lbs and a size 10.5 boot. I plan to board on and off piste and I doubt much powder seeeing as I board mostly in the northeast. Id like to work on jumping and a little park here and there. So any advice you can throw at me would be greatly appreciated. Should I return this board for a 157 of another brand of board?

Hi Sora,

I wrote this same info on another thread recently but it applies here as well.

It sounds very much like you are trying to find "the correct" cm size that you would ride in any board. I would highly suggest that you abandon that goal. At 190 lbs, size 10.5, The Arcade 160 that you purchased is a great fit. Whether or not it is the best design for you is another matter.

The tip to tip length of a board is not a valuable measurement. Every board model has been designed for a specific rider weight range and foot size range. This will vary from model to model even within a brand.

Tell us a little more about the riding you want to do and what you are working on learning.

pharcyde 11-26-2012 08:47 AM

in the past "most suitable" board length was associated with height. from that perspective 5'11 is a bit short for a 160, especially if you want to ride park features. more recently the association has migrated much more toward weight rather than height, and from that view, 190 gels well with a 160. These are just general guidelines though. as wiredsport said, different boards include different features that alter these. however, most people youll see on boards do not have so-called "mathematically optimal" set ups and do just fine. unless your board is grossly over- or under-sized youll still have loads of fun.

Wiredsport 11-26-2012 08:52 AM

Thanks for that comment. I hope we have done our part in getting rid of the "size by height" mentality. That sizing method put a lot of riders out on hard to use gear. Rider height is not a factor in board sizing.

Lamps 11-26-2012 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sora (Post 543455)
Hey all, this is my first post to this website. I started snowboarding last season and decided that this season I would do a seasonal rental and brush up my skills before I stepped up to a new board. But unfortunately cyber monday got me and I wound up buying a ride arcade ul 160. I couldnt pass up the deal, but now im worried that the board may be to large for me. Im 5'11 190 lbs and a size 10.5 boot. I plan to board on and off piste and I doubt much powder seeeing as I board mostly in the northeast. Id like to work on jumping and a little park here and there. So any advice you can throw at me would be greatly appreciated. Should I return this board for a 157 of another brand of board?

I bet that as a beginner to intermediate rider you would have trouble in a blind test of 157, 159, and 161 to even feel the difference.

I'm 5'11" , 190 and have a 159 cambered board and a 163 rockered board, ride here in Ontario. A guy I know in a shop weighs the same and rides a 157. Enjoy your cyber monday deal, the whole board length thing is over rated, and you'll have a great time.

Sora 11-26-2012 09:29 AM

Thank you for your response, I like to go off mountain riding, shooting through the trees ocassionally. I would like to learn some jumping and just get better at carving the groomed trails up and getting faster on the board. And getting better on slush. It seems that everybody seems to have an opinion on whats to large so that was my main concern. People seem to think 160 is a boat. So I was worried about getting the 157 instead.

Sora 11-26-2012 06:10 PM

Ok. Quick question looks like I got jerked on my order and it was cancelled due to them selling more than they had in stock. So its back to the drawing board I need to know if a 158 wide would be ok in anyones opinion. The skirt width on the wide is less than a centimeter wider. 160=25.2 vs 158w=26 cm. Will there be any difference in the carving or riding ability. Is there a loss in sharpness in turning?

Wiredsport 11-26-2012 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sora (Post 543723)
Ok. Quick question looks like I got jerked on my order and it was cancelled due to them selling more than they had in stock. So its back to the drawing board I need to know if a 158 wide would be ok in anyones opinion. The skirt width on the wide is less than a centimeter wider. 160=25.2 vs 158w=26 cm. Will there be any difference in the carving or riding ability. Is there a loss in sharpness in turning?

+1cm is the most common increase in width from a normal to a wide model.

Please measure your foot using this method:

Kick your heel (barefoot please, no socks) back against a wall. Mark the floor exactly at the tip of your toe (the one that sticks out furthest - which toe this is will vary by rider). Measure from the mark on the floor to the wall. That is your foot length and is the only measurement that you will want to use. Measure in centimeters if possible, but if not, take inches and multiply by 2.54 (example: an 11.25 inch foot x 2.54 = 28.57 centimeters).

Sora 11-26-2012 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wiredsport (Post 543725)
+1cm is the most common increase in width from a normal to a wide model.

Please measure your foot using this method:

Kick your heel (barefoot please, no socks) back against a wall. Mark the floor exactly at the tip of your toe (the one that sticks out furthest - which toe this is will vary by rider). Measure from the mark on the floor to the wall. That is your foot length and is the only measurement that you will want to use. Measure in centimeters if possible, but if not, take inches and multiply by 2.54 (example: an 11.25 inch foot x 2.54 = 28.57 centimeters).


Done it came out to 27.31 cm

Wiredsport 11-26-2012 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sora (Post 543732)
Done it came out to 27.31 cm

Got it. Technically that is just over a US size 9. For the purpose of finding the correct width, only the 27.31 measurement matters (not the associated boot size). The Arcade 158 Wide is 271. cm at the center inserts (waist measurements are not valuable for this purpose). That will leave you essentially no adjustment other than zero degrees for stance angles. If for instance you ride a very common 15/15 or similar you will be well within the confines of the decks edges and I would stronly discourage that.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:00 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2