Lib Tech Banana Magic BTX HP Wide 162 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2012, 04:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Lib Tech Banana Magic BTX HP Wide 162

I currently ride a NS Legacy 166. I'm looking for an all mountain twin that's a little shorter and the banana magic looks bad ass. I am 6'4" 215# size 14 boot.

The width is 1/2 a cm less than my Legacy, this shouldn't be an issue, right? Last thing I want is toe/heel drag after spending this much dough on a board. And as far as the length, with the rocker and camber this board should ride a little bigger, right?

If you or anyone you know is my size and has experience with this board or one like it, please give me your comments, concerns, etc.

Thanks!

Last edited by Kilgore Trout; 11-26-2012 at 06:49 PM.
Kilgore Trout is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2012, 03:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Fire on Ice...and Powder!

I have last year's 161 (regular) and absolutely love this board!
Easily the most fun, yet stable board I've ridden.
I can't imagine you wouldn't be happy with this board.

Yes, it apparently rides bigger than its' size. I'm 5'11", 175lbs. and been advised that I could easily drop to the 157 and even the 154. Apparently, the waist is on the wide side for this board, but check the specs to make sure you're boot will fit.

So now I'm trying to sell mine and buy a 157. Not cheap!
GreyDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
The width is 1/2 a cm less than my Legacy, this shouldn't be an issue, right? Last thing I want is toe/heel drag after spending this much dough on a board. And as far as the length, with the rocker and camber this board should ride a little bigger, right?
No, the width on the Magic is not 1/2 cm less than the Legacy at all. It is just the waist width that is less - this matters for turning but not for overhang/drag.
Because of the deeper sidecut the Magic is actually effectively almost as wide the Legacy - note that the nose/tail width is the same on the Magic as on the Legacy despite a 7cm shorter edge!

Last edited by hktrdr; 11-29-2012 at 05:20 AM.
hktrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:19 PM   #4 (permalink)

Will the Banana Magic be better for hitting kickers/Jibs than my NS Legacy?
Old 11-29-2012, 07:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
Will the Banana Magic be better for hitting kickers/Jibs than my NS Legacy?
No. The Magic is way stiffer than the Legacy and has considerably more rocker in the profile. As a result it floats better in powder (despite being a pure twin as opposed to the directional Legacy) and is great for turning/slashing. But while it holds an edge really well (the Magnetraction is possibly the most aggressive of all Mervin boards) it does tend to be squirrelly on hardpack and groomers.
Frankly, you are much better off with the Legacy for most thinks park related.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:36 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hktrdr View Post
No. The Magic is way stiffer than the Legacy and has considerably more rocker in the profile. As a result it floats better in powder (despite being a pure twin as opposed to the directional Legacy) and is great for turning/slashing. But while it holds an edge really well (the Magnetraction is possibly the most aggressive of all Mervin boards) it does tend to be squirrelly on hardpack and groomers.
Thanks, Hktrdr.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:44 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hktrdr View Post
I totally disagree on the squirelly traits of the Magic. I own one and find it a very damp, stable and confidence inspiring board when ridden on hardpack at speed.
Brainwashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:30 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainwashed View Post
I totally disagree on the squirelly traits of the Magic. I own one and find it a very damp, stable and confidence inspiring board when ridden on hardpack at speed.
Does the Magic have some traits that are great for groomers/hardpack? Absolutely - specifically dampness and edge hold.
Is stability and lack of twitchy-ness one of these traits? No way.

Your prerogative to disagree with me on this. I read your initial review and happy to hear that the Magic is working for you - I also think that it is an amazing board. But I stand by my opinion on suitability for groomers (which BTW is also Lib-Tech's official line).

Buttering and any kind of park other than the pipe are also not strong suits of the Magic.