Buying a board for a beginner... help me - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2012, 02:13 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Buying a board for a beginner... help me

Ok so done some research and defiantly getting out of my comfort zone now that its time to make a purchase. My fiancee is moving out here to lovely Driggs Idaho and its her birthday in a week. Love to have a nice new board waiting for her when she gets here. After an uncomfortable text message asking for her measurements I think i'm armed with the info I need to get her something.

Her stats:
36 years old in a week
beginner snowboarder
5'5" 150 pounds size 6 womens boots
will be boarding @ the Grand Targhee resort since we live on ski hill road. =)

I'll hold off on the boots I know that's something better to try on in person than order online. After looking at different boards and trying not to drain the account I think something like this Rossignol Gala Amptek in the 150 size would do well for her. I was thinking that having a bit of rocker would help, out here we do get alot of fresh powder (obviously once i get her off the bunny slope) and help her initiate turns as she's learning.
Link 4 board: Rossignol Gala Amptek Snowboard - Women's 2013 | evo
If you have any other ideas for a good board or recommendation for bindings I should look into any help is appreciated.
And please don't let her know I shared her stats in a public forum I'd like to live to see our wedding. =)
Beefck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 07:30 AM   #2 (permalink)

I really recommend the never summer infinity. Read the review on the evo site. I have lent mine to many beginning riders and they all ride much better and buy it. It has a nice flex between the bindings and the ns rocker camber makes it easier to turn and harder to catch an edge. Best of all it goes everywhere and she won't out grow it when her riding gets more advanced.
sb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:18 AM   #3 (permalink)
mjd

Roxy Ollie Pop and Gnu B-Nice are my gf's favorites. She's new to snowboarding. She also really liked the Jones Twin Sister.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:40 AM   #4 (permalink)

Oo +1 for the NS women's boards

My GF is beginner/intermediate and she loves her K2 GB Pop. Great graphics (it matters for girls lol)
Cormier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:10 PM   #5 (permalink)

The Ollie Pop (which I haven't written) is the same rocker/camber as the NS. Probably a good choice also but I think the Infinity may be a little more all mountain freeride and the Ollie Pop a little more park. The Infinity is good on powder and pretty damp on the bumpy stuff. I ride a Roxie envi also. Roxie boards are made by Mervin and they're good boards. The Be Nice is a very soft board. I demoed it a few years ago. You wouldn't want to stay with it after you got a little better.

When I started snowboarding I bought a cheap Atomic board mostly because it was described as "forgiving". It wasn't. Then I rode a Burton Feelgood which was easier than the beginner board! But it was stiff for learning and didn't have good edge hold. I wasn't even looking to buy a board when I tried the Infinity and ended up getting it. It has a nice flex and I could make quick turns anywhere without worrying about skidding out or worse. When you're learning and you have confidence in your board doing what you want, you lose the fear factor especially when you find yourself on some new terrain.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:54 PM   #6 (permalink)

I'll cast another vote for the Never Summer Infinity! It's what I've been riding and enjoying.

Another board to consider perhaps is the Arbor Swoon. It's a really light board and its super easy to ride and turn, despite having pretty good edge hold. It might be a little chattery at high speed, but that's not a concern for a beginner. It's a mild rocker too, so it should be good in powder.

The Infinity is fun and damp, better at high speed, but it's certainly on the heavier side.

Shayboarder and the goodride both have reviews on the Swoon:

Arbor Swoon | The Good Ride
Snowboard Review: 12-13 Arbor Swoon

Just something else to consider...
cocolulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:14 PM   #7 (permalink)

Seems like the Never Summer Infinity has a ton of votes guess they aren't kidding in the literature when they say wolf pack.

@ sb60 so you're saying that a cheaper board that she can beat up and not care about wont be as forgiving or flex properly? I'm iffy about dropping 4+ bones for a beginner.

@ Cormier yes i'm trying to channel my fiances inner girl in making sure the board is 'pretty' LOL

now if I decide on something pricier what about size?? Her weight puts her in either 149 151 and 154 according to the sizing chart for the NS Infinity. Bigger or smaller? shes got small feet but seems to be on the upper end of weights for womens boards.
Beefck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:47 PM   #8 (permalink)

A board that's hard to learn on might beat her up. I'd go with the 149 because it's her first board and it's better to be shorter.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I just got my wife and daughter a Rossi Tesla. They're supposed to have some auto turn tech or something like that. Last years are only 165.00.

It aint no super board but if fits the bill for a beginner.

Rossignol Tesla Snowboard - Women's 2012 | evo outlet
pdxrealtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:33 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

IMO, I wouldn't drop a ton of money on her first board. As a beginner, she may or may not want to continue with snowboarding, so spending a lot of money on the first board may be wasteful. Also, if she does get hooked like the rest of us, she will want a new board next year anyways
DC5R is offline   Reply With Quote