Too Old To Learn Tricks? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2008, 11:26 AM   #1 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Default Too Old To Learn Tricks?

I was just wondering what age one would be considered too old to really progress in snowboarding ability? I guess I'm mainly talking about learning to do 3's, 5's, 7's etc. One of my riding buddies is in his early 40's and wants me to teach him how to spin a 180. Granted, he doesn't go boarding nearly as much as I do, but it got me thinking. What age is too old to learn tricks? 30? 40? 50?
Gnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2008, 11:35 AM   #2 (permalink)
DBtv

At the risk of destroying my cred on the Forum, I am 53, first learned to snowboard (never learned to ski) when we moved to Denver a couple of years ago, and I progressed mightily this year, finally actually getting air. Next year I will spin.

You are never too old as long as you are serious about your conditioning, and do your conditioning hard all year round.
Old 04-14-2008, 12:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Simply^Ride

Thumbs up

Nah I think you are never too old. This season I meet this guy, he was probably around 75yo and he was a great rider. We talked for a few minutes and he said he went riding almost every day at Loveland and that he improved each time he gets out. I just think you have to be aware of your limitations and thats it. I say do it, just note that he wont hold you liable for any damages that might arise from it, lol, you never know.
Old 04-14-2008, 01:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
apv211

I agree with everyone else. I don't think you can be too old, but you can definitely be in not good enough shape to progress. For instance, if you're 35 and you have a bad knee from a sports injury,it might not be a goodidea. If you're a 60 year old well conditioned healthy individual though, go for it.
Old 04-14-2008, 01:39 PM   #5 (permalink)

Whew I feel better now. I just turned 36 this year and if I was too old to learn tricks on a snowboard, I might as well have just shot myself!
tboooe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 01:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I just turned 31 and learned to do some ground tricks & spin a FS/BS 180 & BS 3 this year...Ok, so I can only land the 3 maybe 25% of the time, but it's still better than 0%.

I guess I have no reason not to show him how to trick it up then.
Gnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 02:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Default Age is a number

If you only do things that you're "supposed" to do at any given age, then you'll really be old.

My mom is 83 and plays 3-4 hours of good tennis every day she can. She's good enough that I've never beaten her....like playing a wall, it just keeps coming back. Volunteers at a retirement home helping the "old" folks (they're all younger than her)

I took up boarding in my 40's (now 47) and still play sports that I'm not "supposed" to be doing at my age. My boarding instructor is 53 and pretty good in the park, better than his 25 year daughter who instructs with him.

How old is too old? You like it, you want it, try it. While others might list a ton of potential injuries, the WORST thing that could happen is you sitting in your rocking chair wishing you had.

Besides, it's sweeter to pull off things when you're older. I never appreciated new skills when I was "young", everything was new.

Although, stretching is a good idea
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 02:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Augie09

snowboarders get all the chicks in the retirement home.
Old 04-14-2008, 03:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
st.stark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augie09 View Post
snowboarders get all the chicks in the retirement home.
I agree! lol But seriously, I agree mainly with the others, but I think that when it comes to actually setting goals for tricks and such as you get older you need to be more wise about it. Because whether you believe it or not, I think it is easier for a teenager to pick up on tricks than it is for those who are old enough to be grandparents. No offense, I just want to say be careful and set goals carefully! Just my $0.02.
Old 04-14-2008, 11:35 PM   #10 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

On Thursday I'll be 34. I've been skateboarding since I was 11. What I have found over the years is that you always progress and regress at the same time. I don't do 13-stair handrails or ollie down huge gaps anymore. The truth is that when you get older you don't heal as fast. In that sense, I have regressed. With snowboarding, I don't hit huge kickers anymore either. Same reason. However, with both skating and snowboarding my flatland, curb, bench, box ability is better now that it ever was (and I used to be a sponsored amature skateboarder) b/c I spend more time on it than hitting huge-ass stuff. Tony Hawk is pushing 40 now. Danny Way is exact same age I am (well, he is a day older), and they still rock the party harder than anyone else. The key is just do what your comfortable with. One day that might taking mellow runs down blues, the next it could be working 540's in the park. The mountain is your canvass, paint it the way you want to, and you'll always have a smile.

"Up, up, my people, let smoke and flame be our sign!"
-The White Rose Society

sedition is offline   Reply With Quote