Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Machete GT or...? (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/51656-machete-gt.html)

taylorpoz 11-27-2012 11:58 PM

Machete GT or...?

Hey guys! I'm looking to get a new set up for christmas, and I've got my eyes set on the Machete GT...but I have a few concerns first:

I love to tear it up all over the mountain, mostly groomies and backcountry, off-trail trees and powder. I know the machete gt will kill it on any sort of groomed/packed snow you throw underneath it, but how does it perform on powder? Also, I enjoy doing a couple laps through the park: how does the Machete GT perform on jumps/rails?

I'm 5ft 7in, weigh about 140lbs, and have a size 10 boot, so which size will serve me best?

And FINALLY (sorry about all of the questions), any recommendation for bindings on the Machete GT?

Thanks so much for your help...I'm an indecisive guy and I just need a little nudge before I pull the trigger on this stick.:laugh:

Nivek 11-28-2012 12:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
It's a stiff board that takes some muscle. It will be fine in pow, it has rocker. Not fun to press but will 50/50 and boardslide just fine. Go for a 154 if you're not in the park much.

I'd put Maestro's, K2 Company IPO's, NOW IPO's, Flow NX2 AT's, or Flux SF 45's (which I have some L's for sale) on it.

taylorpoz 11-28-2012 06:58 PM

Awesome. Thanks so much for the info.
If I wanted something that was ever-so-slightly less stiff and just a tiny bit more playful, but still performs along the same lines as the GT, what would be a good option?

Nivek 11-28-2012 08:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Flow Rush. Which incidentally I could snap higher, turn harder, and hold a better edge with.

taylorpoz 11-28-2012 11:09 PM

I checked out the Flow Rush, and liked it, but still had some doubts. Then I stumbled upon the Jones Mountain Twin 2013. I think I'm going to pull the trigger on this one. It pretty much has everything I'm looking for.

Regardless, thank you for your advice. You indirectly helped me discover this board :laugh:

Nivek 11-28-2012 11:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Be aware, the MTN Twin is not a true twin, and is a bit of a harsh ride. All the Jones are a bit harsh.

taylorpoz 11-29-2012 12:25 AM

Yah I did notice that. The only reason I was looking at a true twin was so that I could actually learn how to ride switch; I can't as of right now. And since the base is only displaced by 2cm, it shouldn't be insanely difficult to become comfortable riding switch on it. It's not like I'll be trying to tear it up on double blacks going switch haha.

By harsh, do you mean not as smooth?

Nivek 11-29-2012 12:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
They aren't characteristically damp snowboards. You get more than average amounts of vibrations up into your feet and knees. And you feel everything underneath you. Great for AK so you know what to do based on snow conditions, but not the best for resort riding.

Alex B 11-29-2012 04:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nivek (Post 544476)
It's a stiff board that takes some muscle. It will be fine in pow, it has rocker. Not fun to press but will 50/50 and boardslide just fine. Go for a 154 if you're not in the park much.

I'd put Maestro's, K2 Company IPO's, NOW IPO's, Flow NX2 AT's, or Flux SF 45's (which I have some L's for sale) on it.

Why do you always recommend the K2 Company IPO rather than the regular Company? I'm still stuck between the K2 formula and company, (IPO isn't in my price range).

Thanbks
Alex B

Nivek 11-29-2012 11:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex B (Post 544964)
Why do you always recommend the K2 Company IPO rather than the regular Company? I'm still stuck between the K2 formula and company, (IPO isn't in my price range).

Thanbks
Alex B

I just like the IPO's a lot. The Company is a really stiff binding, so using the same tray with a soft urethane highback is just fantastic.