Size 12 - midwide okay? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2008, 04:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
BadMojo

Default Size 12 - midwide okay?

I have a size 12 boot, and that's all people need to know for this thread. I have narrowed down my range of boards based on other qualitblahblahblah, what I need opinions on is: a board with a 25.4 waist. Too skinny? I don't think so, but I don't want to buy/regret/return. I've demoed like boards, and it's been fine, but my feet will probably grow and my wallet won't. I'm way into freestyle so I want to keep weight down and responsiveness up, hence the hesitation for wides.

NOTE: I like to ride w/ 15/15 bindings for normal-ish switch

Last edited by BadMojo; 04-14-2008 at 05:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2008, 07:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

If you already have your boots, and even your bindings, I would measure them to estimate how much overhang you will have with a 254 waist board. Size 12 isn't enough info because the actual length of a size 12 boot can vary quite a bit depending on the type of boot.

If you can get a good idea of how much your boot and binding will hang over the edge of your board, you should have your answer. A little overhang is okay, especially if you aren't going to be doing some really deep carves. Although, I imagine overhang could be a big problem in the pipe (i don't ride in the pipes so I wouldn't know).

As an example, I have size 12 boots with a wide board (GNU 11up with 265 waist I think) and my boots overhang a little with a 12/-9 stance. My L/XL 390 bindings don't overhang at all though. My guess is you will definitely have a decent amount of overhang, but it may not be a problem if you are in the park without doing really steep deep carves.
schmitty34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 07:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
BadMojo

I don't already have boots. I guess those should be a priority. Overhang is a huge problem in the pipes, although I'm not that good at pipe, I wanna get better. I was looking at the 11up earlier, how does it work for you?
Old 04-15-2008, 01:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadMojo View Post
I don't already have boots. I guess those should be a priority. Overhang is a huge problem in the pipes, although I'm not that good at pipe, I wanna get better. I was looking at the 11up earlier, how does it work for you?
It works real well. I don't ride as much park as you so I can't really help much with how well it works on rails or for buttering. It seems a little stiff for a lot of buttering, but I don't really know. I ride more all mountain and hit any jump in sight. Sometimes I hit the parks for the jumps, but not much else.

I can tell you that it carves pretty well and is stable at high speeds. It also has pretty good pop and it seems really stable for landing. I land a lot more jumps that go wrong than I used to...much easier to ride it out.

I also get a lot of positive comments about the way it looks which suprised me because it doesn't have the typical "sick" design that other boards have.
schmitty34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 12:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
BigUgly

Default Big & Tall snowboarder?

Hey all. I'm doing research for a school project on the Big & Tall market segment in Snowboarding. If you are over 6', over size 11 and/or over 200lbs. and wouldn't mind taking a 5 minute survey, go to:

Big & Tall Snow

or go to BigUglySnow.com
Old 04-21-2008, 06:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUgly View Post
Hey all. I'm doing research for a school project on the Big & Tall market segment in Snowboarding. If you are over 6', over size 11 and/or over 200lbs. and wouldn't mind taking a 5 minute survey, go to:

Big & Tall Snow

or go to BigUglySnow.com
What if I'm all three of those

*edit* I'm a size 12 boot and 200+ so I ride a wide, FWIW.

Last edited by zakk; 04-21-2008 at 06:16 PM.
zakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 11:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
BigUgly

Zakk, I know what you mean. I'm clocking in at 215, so I'm always looking for the stiffest board I can get. They always want me to go long, but I like a 157 for most everyday all mountain riding and a 161 for POW. My school project turned into a website for reviews, BigUglySnow.com. My goal is to have more rider specific reviews with respect to the rider's size and riding preferences. The plan is to provide reviews from rider that are most like you. A 140 lb park fiend's review won't be any help to a 200 lb backcountry rider. Riders can discuss boots and board widths etc. We are just launching now we're building up the reviews. Check it out.
Old 11-21-2008, 11:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUgly View Post
Zakk, I know what you mean. I'm clocking in at 215, so I'm always looking for the stiffest board I can get. They always want me to go long, but I like a 157 for most everyday all mountain riding and a 161 for POW. My school project turned into a website for reviews, BigUglySnow.com. My goal is to have more rider specific reviews with respect to the rider's size and riding preferences. The plan is to provide reviews from rider that are most like you. A 140 lb park fiend's review won't be any help to a 200 lb backcountry rider. Riders can discuss boots and board widths etc. We are just launching now we're building up the reviews. Check it out.
i think i was 215 in 6th grade

thanks for the heads up
Old 11-22-2008, 12:43 AM   #9 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Your stance width will also affect overhang. A snowboard's width gets wider as your stance gets wider (duh). Add in varying sidecut depths and you can't always go directly by board width.

GOD IS DONUT
legallyillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 11:50 AM   #10 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

^^ True that...the only way to really find out is get your boots first and try matching them with the boards. Boots are always the first priority of my set up and I build it from there.
Extremo is offline   Reply With Quote