Question about first wax - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2012, 01:53 PM   #11 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowolf View Post
No need normally to use a base cleaner.
What he said. In fact I almost never use base cleaner. I don't really ride on sap or gummy shit though so nothing sticks to my base. I don't wax right after a spring boarding day, usually wait and do an early season day or two and then wax before my first big trip of the season.

Only time I've ever used base cleaner is right before applying p-tex to a base repair.
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2012, 02:00 PM   #12 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I first waxed my board following snowolf's video back in like 2008 (thanks).

What I've learned over the years is you're probably going to screw up at least a few wax jobs, especially when beginning (that's why it's good to have a used board to practice on). Until then, you're probably going to over heat, over wax, over scrape, etc, etc, until you develop your own system for going about the process.

Things get even more complicated when you start tuning your own edges (so it's good to dive in and start acclimating yourself to that early on as well)

the more your board gets hammered by the mtn (that first big core shot is a killer), the less you're going to care if it's "perfect", anyhow (it's never perfect) - you'll get over your waxing mistakes.
extra0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 01:40 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowolf View Post
No need normally to use a base cleaner. Either ride for a day on the factory wax, or do a hot wax on top of the factory wax. The only reason I suggested a base cleaner was for the possibility that some form of residue might be responsible for that white spot.

OP: I really dont think this is anything to be concerned with. That looks simply like a dry base (or spot where the base is dry). If you are concerned, try rewaxing over that spot again and scraping.
I just got done doing another wax over, the spot is still there.
If it is not a dry base and the board came like this, could I have gotten a bad one??
laxinchili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:51 AM   #14 (permalink)
Veteran Member

whatever the white is, it's superficial and will undoubtedly disappear after the first few rides...so just ride it and try to quit obsessing over every detail of your new stick
extra0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:36 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by extra0 View Post
whatever the white is, it's superficial and will undoubtedly disappear after the first few rides...so just ride it and try to quit obsessing over every detail of your new stick
i'm obsessing over this ONE spot on my new board I just paid a lot of money for I found after waxing, not over every detail

You seem to be sure it is nothing to worry about, I hope you are sure. The other kryptos I looked @ at the shop do not have that. I am ignorant when it comes to this so I truly do not know.
laxinchili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:29 PM   #16 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by extra0 View Post
+1

10 chars
Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:31 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by laxinchili View Post
I just got done doing another wax over, the spot is still there.
If it is not a dry base and the board came like this, could I have gotten a bad one??
Dude It's cancer... return the board

Spots on the penis
Chef Jer is offline   Reply With Quote