Help me pick my Never Summer Board! - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2012, 03:42 PM   #11 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredlicious View Post
Hey guys, thanks for all the responses so far!

On the Raptor, it looks better and better the more I look at it.

I had not given much consideration to the Cobra only because the reviews that I read were not as glowing as some of the other NS boards.

What about the board makes it more of a powder board than the Heritage? The reviews on the TheGoodRide seem to imply the Cobra is better for groomers while the Heritage is built to float on powder. It's also worth noting that, while the snow in Big Bear is always thin and powder-less, Mammoth and Breck can (and have been) better in that regard, and I spend much more time in the latter locations than the former.
you will find a lot of glowing reviews of the cobra on this forum... even some by people who have never ridden it!

Heritage is a directional (update:corrected) twin, which the nose and tail are the same shape. Cobra has a directional shape with a more upturned nose and spade tail to life the nose and sink the tail to help keep you on top of deep powder.

Last edited by lonerider; 12-01-2012 at 04:37 PM.
lonerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2012, 03:52 PM   #12 (permalink)
Banned!

Quote:
I had not given much consideration to the Cobra only because the reviews that I read were not as glowing as some of the other NS boards. That being said, I am not against learning something I wasn't expecting to. According to Never Summer's "selection chart," the Cobra is actually probably closer to the side that appeals to me.

What about the board makes it more of a powder board than the Heritage? The reviews on the TheGoodRide seem to imply the Cobra is better for groomers while the Heritage is built to float on powder. It's also worth noting that, while the snow in Big Bear is always thin and powder-less, Mammoth and Breck can (and have been) better in that regard, and I spend much more time in the latter locations than the former.
The design of the Cobra is pow-specific, simple. That is not to say it wouldn't be great on groomers and trees. TBH it would be a better choice imo than the Raptor.

I still say Heritage hands down, but its just an opinion(probably because I like to be more freestyle myself).

Pretty sure any of these boards would make you happy, keep that in mind. It's like stressing over a 2cm deck length...
Old 12-01-2012, 06:30 PM   #13 (permalink)

I know I am going to get flamed for this and I can't help myself. I have had the old Titan, SL and the heritage both camber and last years as well. Even though I like them very much, I bought this years Jones Mountain Twin and it blows the Never Summer boards away that you are talking about. If I were you that is the board I would buy. The board holds a wicked edge, turns on a dime great in pow and is very light on the feet. I am blown away by this board. Just my two cents, sorry NS fan boys.
Angler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:25 PM   #14 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Hey guys, thanks for all the responses so far!

On the Raptor, it looks better and better the more I look at it. The Shayboarder review, in particular, jumped out at me because it mentions Mammoth, groomers, and tree riding, which is all right up my alley.

The Proto CT is too far on the freestyle side of things to really fit my style.

I had not given much consideration to the Cobra only because the reviews that I read were not as glowing as some of the other NS boards. That being said, I am not against learning something I wasn't expecting to. According to Never Summer's "selection chart," the Cobra is actually probably closer to the side that appeals to me.

Agree with what others have said - Heritage is the first choice for sure. Cobra not really that close, but might be a consideration for powder capability and playfulness - but a bit softer and less damp, sacrificing stability at speed and on the steeps.

You picked 2 terrible reviews. Shay is a nice person, but she does not do anything like the riding that you have in mind and her gear review are super shallow.
TheGoodRide can be hit and miss - recently more of the latter. Normally they quote the brochures pretty accurately but only ride the boards for a couple of runs on test days (and never seem to do any real powder riding). In case of the Heritage and Cobra they even messed up copying from the brochures - unlike what their review says ("The Cobra is made for those who spend most of their time on groomers" WTF!?) the Cobra is actually more powder focused than the Heritage.

Last edited by hktrdr; 12-01-2012 at 08:03 PM.
hktrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:57 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowolf View Post
The Cobra is a board that I helped design for that specific purpose after test riding the Heritage. I have extensive reviews on this site as well as my own site of both of them. The Cobra actually IS very similar to the Heritage in it's handling and the Cobra really does not chatter at high speed on hard grounded significantly more than the Heritage.
I grabbed a Cobra in large part off of your reviews and sold the Heritage. Loved the heritage but wanted something a little more playful and a little better in powder. Cobra/heritage were too similar to keep both.
Chef Jer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:28 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
No one is going to flame you for giving an honest opinion, so you don't need to be defensive or end your post with a snide remark. Stick around a little longer and learn some about the people on the forum you are judging. A fanboy is someone who blindly follows a brand to the point of not acceptiing other brands have equally good products and for some niches outperform "their" brand. That is not the case here. The OP asked a specific question about specific boards produced from a specific company and people with that specific experience and knowledge have responded. As for your opinion, it is valid and the point of this forum is to help people explore all of their options and make their own decisions. In the snowboard coaching world we call this Guided Discovery.
My intention was not to be defensive or snide. I have been around for a long time as you can see from my join date. Have not felt the need to post before. Sorry if I offended you.
Angler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:28 PM   #17 (permalink)

I rode the 2013 heritage (162) yesterday and today at killington and personally didn't find one thing wrong with the board, one of the best i have ridden, ill be honest it was on the more difficult side to turn, have to pay attention.....im not to good at explaining things but if you have any specific questions, ill do my best to answer them.
LoEdge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:33 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Interesting observation. What specifically did you notice? Was it the turn initiation or maintaining the turn?
Im going to say turn initiation, for example, the first turn i ever made with the board took me and spun me around all the way to where i was in my switch position. What I'm trying to say is if you give it the slightest hint that you want to turn, its going to take you into that turn a lot easier(if that makes any sense). As for maintaining the turn, once you learn how much power to give for your turn(first run for me), its not a problem and can straiten out or carve with ease.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:09 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoEdge View Post
I rode the 2013 heritage (162) yesterday and today at killington and personally didn't find one thing wrong with the board, one of the best i have ridden, ill be honest it was on the more difficult side to turn, have to pay attention.....im not to good at explaining things but if you have any specific questions, ill do my best to answer them.
Did you demo the heritage from some place near killington? If so What shop?
03SVTCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:31 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03SVTCobra View Post
Did you demo the heritage from some place near killington? If so What shop?
Nah i own it .