Help me pick my Never Summer Board! - Page 3 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2012, 01:34 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowolf View Post
None taken and if I took your "fan boy" comment the wrong way, my apologies; from this end, combined with your stated fear of being flamed, I interpreted it as kind of a parting shot...

Really, its all good and your alternative opinion is valued and if you noticed, I have reviewed and been a big advocate of other boards too (namely the Gnu Billy Goat). I actually more wanted to assure you that we are not classic "fanboys" and that no one is going to flame you for a quality opinion just because it is not Neversummer. My part time back country partner, Shredlife just picked up a Jones Hovercraft split board and we recently rode together; the thing is just sick....
I think you did misinterpret my use of " fan boys". I was trying to be tongue and cheek with it. It does seem that there is a basis towards NS boards ( even though there is good reason as they make a great board) on the forum so I was trying to give some other options. Since I ride on the east and only get out west once a year the herritage has a tough time on hard pack going at high speeds. It gets very loose and has a hard time tracking well. In most conditions it's a great board. I love the edge to edge response, it's a turning machine! Also great in pow as well. With that being said when I view it as a all mountain board for the east coast it falls a bit short because of the way it rides on east coast hard pack. The rocker camber NS uses does not work as well out east as it does in the west because of the icy conditions at times. So there is my 2 cents... On another note have the hovercraft as well very sick board great in pow and surprisingly well on hard pack as well.
Angler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2012, 03:03 PM   #22 (permalink)

Isnt the heritage known for plowing through basically anything and one of the faster boards available? Your comments about it seem to be the opposite of a lot I have read.
03SVTCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 03:40 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
My personal experience with it is as you stated. Then again, I am a 35-40 MPH rider typically and not balls out bomber so I am not personally experiencing anything that causes me lack confidence in its controlability on hard pack. When it is actually ice, I slow down A LOT because at 48, I am not willing to take the chance of slamming hard at high speed on ice so there again, I am not feeling any issue.

I think pretty much everyone agrees that for flat out bombing on ice, a full camber deck is always going to be a little more sure footed. I know I tend to break ot the full camber stick when all I have to ride is icy groomers because off piste is a total shit show.
I'm not a balls out bomber either but I do get those days where If the conditions are right ill bomb a run or two! 35-40 is about where I'm at most of the time as well. Ice is a whole different story I slow down a lot as well. But I do more of my riding out west and have a shorter board for local riding ice crap anyway!
03SVTCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:17 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
I think this may have a lot to do with the fairly deep sidecut of the board. My Billy Goat is even "worse" for that on hardpack. It is even more of a turning machine. This loosy goosy feeling is pretty native to the C2 style of rocker/camber and why many east coast riders prefer the solid feel of traditional camber. By the way what is the camber profile of the Jones board you suggested? Just curious if this could be a factor.
http://www.jonessnowboards.com/image...mttech/mt1.jpg
You should check out the web site and look at the flagship as well. I have this board and it just rails on hard pack/ ice.
p.s. I am 55 so I understand not wanting to splatter on the trail
Angler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:15 AM   #25 (permalink)
lost in the ugly trees

Ive gotta say a Heritage. No question at all. I consider the heritage to be the the AM board for someone who likes to charge. Its great in the moguls and the steeps and still likes to play off the natural features.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:30 PM   #26 (permalink)

Hey guys, just wanted to thank you all for the advice and discussions. I'm settling more into the idea that the Heritage is going to be the right board for me. I'll probably pick it up around Christmas time for my next ride at Breck. I'll be sure to come back and report how it feels

One last question: is it likely to make that much of a difference whether I go with the 155 vs the 158?

Last edited by Fredlicious; 12-03-2012 at 04:49 PM.
Fredlicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:04 PM   #27 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredlicious View Post
Hey guys, just wanted to thank you all for the advice and discussions. I'm settling more into the idea that the Heritage is going to be the right board for me. I'll probably pick it up around Christmas time for my next ride at Breck. I'll be sure to come back and report how it feels

One last question: is it likely to make that much of a difference whether I go with the 155 vs the 158?
It is a subtle but noticeble difference (2% difference). I suggest 155 (to other posters... hey look I suggested thr shorter length) although I bet someone else is going to recommend you go shorter "just cuz" that what they do.
lonerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:14 PM   #28 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I own a Premier F1, and after demoing a Raptor I instantly regreted not getting it instead.
fuzebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:56 PM   #29 (permalink)
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonerider View Post
It is a subtle but noticeble difference (2% difference). I suggest 155 (to other posters... hey look I suggested thr shorter length) although I bet someone else is going to recommend you go shorter "just cuz" that what they do.
That's because the 158 is CRAZY big for someone who is #140 lawlz.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:38 AM   #30 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowklinger View Post
That's because the 158 is CRAZY big for someone who is #140 lawlz.
eh... I borrowed a 158cm board (1998 K2 Electra) my second season when I was 125 lbs. It only felt a little long turning it and it was actually more stable on jumps (I could only do a fs 180 back then).
lonerider is offline   Reply With Quote