Help me pick my Never Summer Board! - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2012, 01:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Help me pick my Never Summer Board!

Age 27
Weight 140
Height 5'6"
Boot size 10
Budget Whatever

Location of riding Southern California (Mammoth, sometimes Big Bear), Colorado (usually Breck)

Riding style I probably fall squarely in the advanced (though not expert) riding category; I've been doing it for about 15 years, but I never really push the envelope to the extremes. I usually ride with friends of lower skill/risk level, so I generally carve my own path in nearby foliage or hit a black steep/mogul run. I enjoy riding the groomers for speed as well, and I make the occasional venture to a bowl when there is one available. I'll hit a natural jump/spin once in a blue moon, but I never make a conscious effort to do any freestyle riding.

--

I have a bit of brand loyalty to Never Summer, as I have owned and ridden a Carbon VMAX Wide for over a decade now; I'd definitely like to stick with one of their boards. There are three on my radar, and this is where you guys come in:

155 Never Summer Heritage: This is the top contender right now. My research suggests that my relatively eclectic riding style as a one board kind of guy makes this a natural choice. The only fear I have here is that its designation as an All Mountain board means that it won't really be anything memorable compared to the other options.

159 Never Summer Premier F1: I visited a snowboard shop in CO last weekend to get some advice from one of the guys there, and this is what he recommended. The biggest problem I see with it is the 159 length; I am not tall, my current board is a 155, and I have the vague sense that the extra length has the potential to get me into trouble during tree riding and moguls.

156 Never Summer Raptor: When I first started looking, this was my favored choice; I really like the promise of handling well at high speeds for groomers, steeps, and bowls. My main concern is that the reviews I have read suggest that turn initiation is much more difficult due to the Big Mountain nature of the board, and I worry how that will affect me in the trees and riding on bumps.

Please let me know if I haven't provided enough information or done enough research on my own. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Fredlicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2012, 03:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned!

yo.

IMHO

1. Heritage hands down. Why? Every aspect of the board.

2. Not F1? If I was going to get an F1, I'd spend the extra cash and get the Raptor without even blinking an eye, but...

3. Not the Raptor? While it will certainly meet your needs, this seems to me a board I would pick up if planning an Alaska or Japan trip, but I see the Heritage as being more fun and playful, while the Raptor is just a serious board.

I'm sure someone on the internet will enjoy disagreeing, GL.

I also have NSitis.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I'm similar size (5'9" 145-150 lbs) and I've owned the Never Summer Evo 153, SL 155, Proto 154, and Summit 161.

While a 159 is not terrible in trees and moguls (I ride a 161 for powder), nothing in your self description screams to me that you really need to go longer... so I would tentatively take out the Premier F1 for only that reason.

Never ridden the Raptor or Heritage so I am making educated guesses. I did read a review that actually said the Raptor was fun in the trees - although it is definitely stiffer.

My suggestion is to just buy the Raptor 156 from Backcountry.com and ride it... if you don't like it ... return for a full refund. Nothing beats your own firsthand experiences and that is why I really like Backcountry.com and Dogfunk.com.

Some videos I found of people riding the Raptor - doesn't look that tough to initiate turns.

A guy on what I think is a 159 cm Raptor doing some mellow carves and switch riding on a blue run:

A girl (lady?) riding a 159 cm Raptor on Powder and Bumps

Last edited by lonerider; 11-30-2012 at 04:28 PM.
lonerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:25 PM   #4 (permalink)

if your not totally dead set on one of those 3 boards, take a look at the

154 NS Proto CT
blazinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazinden View Post
if your not totally dead set on one of those 3 boards, take a look at the

154 NS Proto CT
I own the 154 Proto and in my opinion... it isn't a very good true freeride board - it's fine if you like to play around on the slopes as a natural terrain park... and it acceptable on groomers/trees runs - but a true freeride board is going to be better in the steeps, in the trees, and going fast on groomers provided the rider isn't a novice rider (OP sounds plenty experienced).
lonerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:35 PM   #6 (permalink)

Just out of curiosity, have you considered the Cobra?
hoodrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:36 PM   #7 (permalink)

Why not a Cobra 158?

Edit: beaten to it
oldmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned!

The cobra is too soft and pow specific for those locations.

The proto does not fit his needs. ie zero freestyle.

The raptor has a trippy strung out rocker profile for pow, which is why I would not suggest it for those 3 locations.

The Heritage will own those locations no matter how much snow they get.
Old 12-01-2012, 02:49 PM   #9 (permalink)

Hey guys, thanks for all the responses so far!

On the Raptor, it looks better and better the more I look at it. The Shayboarder review, in particular, jumped out at me because it mentions Mammoth, groomers, and tree riding, which is all right up my alley.

The Proto CT is too far on the freestyle side of things to really fit my style.

I had not given much consideration to the Cobra only because the reviews that I read were not as glowing as some of the other NS boards. That being said, I am not against learning something I wasn't expecting to. According to Never Summer's "selection chart," the Cobra is actually probably closer to the side that appeals to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowklinger View Post
The cobra is too soft and pow specific for those locations.
What about the board makes it more of a powder board than the Heritage? The reviews on the TheGoodRide seem to imply the Cobra is better for groomers while the Heritage is built to float on powder. It's also worth noting that, while the snow in Big Bear is always thin and powder-less, Mammoth and Breck can (and have been) better in that regard, and I spend much more time in the latter locations than the former.

Last edited by Fredlicious; 12-01-2012 at 02:51 PM.
Fredlicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 02:51 PM   #10 (permalink)

Heritage hands down. Wish I could ride one myself, but I'm too light for it :c
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote