Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Help with new board (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/51770-help-new-board.html)

Killacam109 12-01-2012 02:32 AM

Help with new board

I currently have an Atomic board 158 and it is really stiff and seems to long for me. I have to power it to get it to turn. I am an average rider but just looking for a board that is more flexible and easier to turn. I weigh 170 and height is 6 foot. I also worry that since i wear a 11.5' boot that it may make going to a smaller board difficult because of boot overhang. Any suggestions on boards and sized I can fit with my foot size would be appreciated. Thanks!

Wiredsport 12-01-2012 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Killacam109 (Post 545972)
I currently have an Atomic board 158 and it is really stiff and seems to long for me. I have to power it to get it to turn. I am an average rider but just looking for a board that is more flexible and easier to turn. I weigh 170 and height is 6 foot. I also worry that since i wear a 11.5' boot that it may make going to a smaller board difficult because of boot overhang. Any suggestions on boards and sized I can fit with my foot size would be appreciated. Thanks!

Hi Killacam,

What model of Atomic deck are you riding?

Please measure your foot using this method:

Kick your heel (barefoot please, no socks) back against a wall. Mark the floor exactly at the tip of your toe (the one that sticks out furthest - which toe this is will vary by rider). Measure from the mark on the floor to the wall. That is your foot length and is the only measurement that you will want to use. Measure in centimeters if possible, but if not, take inches and multiply by 2.54 (example: an 11.25 inch foot x 2.54 = 28.57 centimeters).

Thanks!

Killacam109 12-01-2012 11:55 AM

I am riding a 2012 Atomic Terminal. And thanks for the tip on measuring the foot.

Wiredsport 12-01-2012 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Killacam109 (Post 546035)
I am riding a 2012 Atomic Terminal. And thanks for the tip on measuring the foot.

Got it.

A few things. First off, I would suggest that you not consider tip to tip length (i.e. 158cm). It can only get n the way of finding the correct board. Your Terminal is narrow. 25.1 cm at the waist and 26 cm at the center inserts. There are many boards (both longer and shorter) that will be a better fit in terms of width for an 11.5 foot. Second, please post your foot measurement here as above. Third, the Terminal is not a stiff board in the grand scheme of things. It is a standard all poplar core with biax lamination.

Thanks!

Killacam109 12-01-2012 05:09 PM

Foot measurement is slightly over 27cm.

Wiredsport 12-01-2012 05:59 PM

Got it. 27 is technically a size 9 shoe. In terms of board sizing however only your foot length matters. 27 cm is a great fit on a board that is 26 cm at the inserts. That will allow for all common stance angles and will maintain a bit of barefoot overhang which is needed for leverage.

Now back to yor board. It is really not a bad fit, but that does not make it fun for you. With your specs there are many boards in the 153/4 range that could be fun and super playful if that is what you are looking for.

Stoked!

Killacam109 12-01-2012 06:34 PM

Any recommendations for boards that won't break the bank? Thanks for all your help again. Looking to purchase one after my trip to WV this Christmas. Also I am kind of interested in the mid-wide boards because of the boot problem.

Wiredsport 12-01-2012 06:39 PM

Hi,

Please let us know some details about the type of riding that you are doing/want to do. I would highly suggest against going with a wider board based on the size that is written on your boot. Your foot is 27 cm and that is all that the board will respond to. With the boot there are only two possibilities of what is going on. The first is that the boot is labeled differently from an accurate fit. The second is that it is too big. In either case you do not want to buy a wide board (or wider board).