Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Capita to a Proto CT or SL (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/51789-capita-proto-ct-sl.html)

dcflw 12-01-2012 11:17 PM

Capita to a Proto CT or SL

A little about me, live in NC. When I'm here i ride the small stuff in NC and winterplace/snowshoe. I love SLC and am looking hit some other places out west this year. I am an intermediate rider, right now I ride 100% freeride but would like to get 5-10% of small jumps/park stuff just to help me in natural terrain. I dont care a about being good at park, I just want to practice enough to able to hit small stuff if needed.

So...my board progression has been some old crappy burton boards back in the late 90s-->Atomic Hatchet--->Capita Sierrascope now. I have Flow ATSE and Flow boots that have worked well for me. Right now I need one board for all East coast stuff and for my west coast trips.

I like the sierrascope but it seems to wash out on me heelside on the steeps. I am on the border between the CT and SL. I have always have true twins, I'm not sure I would like the SL being directional, but I do want something more damp and stable. I think I would love the CT for my east coast riding, but wonder how well it will do when I actually get some pow time. Hope fully I can find a way to demo these boards, but does anyone have any suggestions for me? I have read alot of the treadds on these boards already.

Bayoh 12-01-2012 11:52 PM

I do not own a Proto, but the SL has very nice dampness.

The SL is also only a directional board because of it's default setback(If I remember it's 1"). Other than that it has symmetrical flex.

Some on here have said you can just put your bindings on up one notch on the inserts to make it a true twin, but I've never personally tried that as the setback doesn't bother me after I've gotten more proficient in switch stance.

Edit: btw, either board you get you'll really appreciate the sidecut. Boards with multiple contact points make life so much nicer in icy conditions.

dcflw 12-02-2012 01:56 PM

Thanks for the reply. One thing I for got to mention is that I value edge to edge speed and ease.

Bayoh 12-02-2012 11:00 PM

The edge response is very good on NS boards. I'm assuming in large part to their boards having 0 base bevel coupled with the shape of the sidecut. Very fun just to carve on.

Nivek 12-02-2012 11:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by dcflw (Post 546489)
Thanks for the reply. One thing I for got to mention is that I value edge to edge speed and ease.

Save some money then and get either a Flow Rush or Drifter. Rolled base between the feet makes edge to edge butter smooth. Drifter is comparable to the SL, the Rush a bit stiffer than the Proto.

dcflw 12-03-2012 12:57 PM

Kindve set on tyring out NS boards. The more I read about the heritage the most interested I am. Im worried it might be to much board for me but it seems to fit what I want. I think my sierrascope is similar to the Proto, I could just keep it and have a bigger board like the heriatge....BTW Im 6'1" ~185 if that helps

lonerider 12-03-2012 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcflw (Post 546258)
A little about me, live in NC. When I'm here i ride the small stuff in NC and winterplace/snowshoe. I love SLC and am looking hit some other places out west this year. I am an intermediate rider, right now I ride 100% freeride but would like to get 5-10% of small jumps/park stuff just to help me in natural terrain. I dont care a about being good at park, I just want to practice enough to able to hit small stuff if needed.

I am on the border between the CT and SL. I have always have true twins, I'm not sure I would like the SL being directional, but I do want something more damp and stable.lready.

Between the Proto and the SL (I own both) I would recommend the SL based on your description. SL is excellent both for freeriding and for jumps (see links for videos of my riding the SL 155). Based on your self-description and where you ride, the Heritage will likely be too much board (too stiff) for you. That being said, based on Nivek's posts, I am looking to try and demo those Flow boards he mentioned.

In reality, if you are only riding 5-10% small jumps/park... basically any board will be good enough for that. On powder days, and I'm riding my 161 tapered, setback, powder board (Summit 161)... I still end up rolling through the park on way back to the chair... doing 180s, boardslides and nose presses. It's not ideal... but if you are just looking to "practice to help you in natural terrain" it is good enough. Some people take this to extremes (check out this video to see how un-important a true twin is).

If I've managed to convince you that having a twin isn't that important... than in addition to the Never Summer SL, you might want to look at the Never Sumer Cobra. I haven't ridden the Cobra myself, but has the carbonium topsheet of the Proto CT, but with the more freeriding friendly stiffness/dampening of the SL, finally with a different shaped nose and tail to be better for riding in powder (whereas the SL and Heritage have an old-school directional twin shape).

As you've mentioned... there are lot of threads already debating the various NS boards. So I don't think creating more threads to ask (Cobra vs SL) is really going to do much.

Nivek 12-03-2012 04:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by dcflw (Post 546971)
Kindve set on tyring out NS boards. The more I read about the heritage the most interested I am. Im worried it might be to much board for me but it seems to fit what I want. I think my sierrascope is similar to the Proto, I could just keep it and have a bigger board like the heriatge....BTW Im 6'1" ~185 if that helps

Your Sierra deck is vastly different than the Proto. It's flat to rocker, the Proto is RC, the Proto has sidecut tech, your sierra is standard radial, the Proto is a mid stiff all mountain/park twin, your board is a jibstick at best. If you're basing your fear of the SL being to much board on your current board and the Proto being comparable then the SL is definitely too much board.

And If you really wanna drop the extra $$ for an SL over a Drifter to get less tech thats fine. The NS eagle comes at a premium.