wrong board for me? - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2012, 11:17 AM   #11 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by newnew View Post
i'm 15/15 at a wider stance. i'm pretty comfortable. little wider than shoulder lenght. i can do 360's on flat grounds with minimal pop. makes it that much harder vs if i had more air time to spin.

i'll have to take a video and upload for you guys to see...
One thing that is sometimes overlooked is that going very wide on a relatively short board can have some unexpected results. For one, there is less deck between your binding and the tip to flex. This will make the same deck fell stiffer in the nose /tail. Also, if you are even a little wide of your comfort zone, that can have a huge impact on pressing/buttering control.
Wiredsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2012, 11:28 AM   #12 (permalink)

i'm comfortable at my stance. nothing feels awkward. the only time it's awkward is when i'm trying to manual or butter. feels like my leg is getting pulled out of my hip socket lol
Old 12-07-2012, 11:51 AM   #13 (permalink)

I've got a small nana and buttering it is really easy, just project your weight into the tail rather than pulling the nose. Have you checked out the snowboard addiction free intro to buttering? That got me going fine It could also be the stance.

The size of your board seems pretty spot on, the calc here is surprisingly accurate, but it's all preference!
Snowboard Sizing Guide, Size Calculator
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:53 PM   #14 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newnew View Post
i'm comfortable at my stance. nothing feels awkward. the only time it's awkward is when i'm trying to manual or butter. feels like my leg is getting pulled out of my hip socket lol
You are doing the butter wrong if you hip feels like it is pulling out of the socket. I'm 5'9" 145-150 lbs and I have ridden an earlier version of the Skate Banana like the one your have. It is is not the board, and is not your weight (every novice freestyler thinks they are too light, or the board is too stiff or long - just ask jdang ).

Remember the trick is called a "press" you aren't trying to pull the end up with your psoas (hip flexor muscle), you are "pressing" the other end down by shifting your weight over the other end and with your core tightened the other end of the board will lift from the strength of your 'press."

I think I have a video of my friend buttering a Skate Banana 152 at your weight

Update: found it - not a great video, but still enough to show that snowboarding really is 99% Rider > 1% board.

Last edited by lonerider; 12-07-2012 at 07:07 PM.
lonerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:21 PM   #15 (permalink)

I think Wiredsport might be on to it.

If your stance is really wide it can make buttering suddenly a lot harder on some boards cause of their flex pattern. At home, try out a skinnier stance and see if it's easier to press.

I'm 145lbs. and I prefer 152cm for riding around the mountain, but still being able to lay a press easily. If I make my stance too wide(which is a bit more natural feel to me as I have very long legs being 6ft tall) it makes it much harder to get leverage over the board.
Bayoh is offline   Reply With Quote