wrong board for me? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 187
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
wrong board for me?

I don't mean to exhaust this topic since i'm assuming you've all read this time and time again, but i really need some insight on if i'm riding the right board.

i'm currently 5'10, 140lbs riding a 152 skate banana.

I've had this board for about 3 season now and i just started to get into the park last season. i felt that i couldn't butter or do much with it as it was too stiff (even though it should be the exact opposite), and when i could get some butters in, i would just fall backwards because of the deep angle i had to hold to get the board to come up.

on the other hand, the board is amazing in the mountains, i can carve like a champ and do everything else. it's just when the park and butters come in that the troubles arise.

I'm wondering if the 152 is too big and if i should go down to a 147?

that being said,

i was thinking of getting a never summer evo 147. but i really don't want to buy a new board just because i can't keep a flex in it. i do love the SB. don't really want to replace it but if i keep failing at my freeriding i may have to change it up.


someone please prove me wrong. lol

2010 152 LibTech Skate Banana, 2010 Ride nRc Bindings
newnew is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 11:26 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Uppsala, Sweden
Posts: 159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
152 is perfectly fine.

it's funny you say it's too stiff. i have the later versions which are even more stiff than yours, and i think mine is ridiculously soft. how soft exactly do you want your board being?

anyway, if you're falling on your ass, it's just that you suck. no offense. it's not the board.
KungMartin is offline  
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 187
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KungMartin View Post
152 is perfectly fine.

it's funny you say it's too stiff. i have the later versions which are even more stiff than yours, and i think mine is ridiculously soft. how soft exactly do you want your board being?

anyway, if you're falling on your ass, it's just that you suck. no offense. it's not the board.
i'm not sure, but everytime i try and press it shoots me back down because i don't have the leg power/weight to keep it pressed.

but i've thought about it and would 5cm less really make that big of a difference?

2010 152 LibTech Skate Banana, 2010 Ride nRc Bindings
newnew is offline  
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 01:00 PM
Banned Bananas [national phenomenon]
 
alaric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: CNY
Posts: 1,783
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by newnew View Post
i'm not sure, but everytime i try and press it shoots me back down because i don't have the leg power/weight to keep it pressed.

but i've thought about it and would 5cm less really make that big of a difference?
Strengthening your legs as well as your core will help with your lack of butter ability. Also, general progression in the sport will.

Back in my more crazy days I rode a 147 ride kink. I was 65% jibs 25% jumps and 10% wherever. My hill also only has 900ft of vertical, not exactly hard riding. The 5cm difference can be huge. If you ride on a mountain with any decent vert and still want to ride the mountain at all, I'd stick with a 152. Just my opinion

life IS good.


alaric is offline  
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 09:55 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 132
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This board isn't stiff imo. I think it might be your technique. Keep on practicing, you need to find that sweet spot!

I think 152 is short enough for height anyways. There's no need to go lower.

Last edited by zeeden; 12-03-2012 at 09:58 PM.
zeeden is offline  
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 09:57 PM
Senior Member
 
cd21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by newnew View Post
I don't mean to exhaust this topic since i'm assuming you've all read this time and time again, but i really need some insight on if i'm riding the right board.

i'm currently 5'10, 140lbs riding a 152 skate banana.

I've had this board for about 3 season now and i just started to get into the park last season. i felt that i couldn't butter or do much with it as it was too stiff (even though it should be the exact opposite), and when i could get some butters in, i would just fall backwards because of the deep angle i had to hold to get the board to come up.

on the other hand, the board is amazing in the mountains, i can carve like a champ and do everything else. it's just when the park and butters come in that the troubles arise.

I'm wondering if the 152 is too big and if i should go down to a 147?

that being said,

i was thinking of getting a never summer evo 147. but i really don't want to buy a new board just because i can't keep a flex in it. i do love the SB. don't really want to replace it but if i keep failing at my freeriding i may have to change it up.


someone please prove me wrong. lol
I ride a 158 and am 5'11 165-170 lb
cd21 is offline  
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 08:02 AM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Wiredsport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,229
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Hi newnew,

It sounds like you already are aware of this, but the Skate Banana is the softest board Lib makes in adult sizes (really small Box Scratchers excluded).

That doesn't mean that the flex is right for you or that length is an issue. I would highly suggest demoing another deck before buying. Try something different that is known as an easy press deck and that should answer your doubts.
Wiredsport is offline  
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 187
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i'll have to demo my friend's boards when we hit up the mountain again. one has a 147 boxscratcher and the other guy has a 153 pickle.

i seriously think it's just beacuse i'm not heavy enough for the board. height has nothing to do with the size of the board i thought?

2010 152 LibTech Skate Banana, 2010 Ride nRc Bindings
newnew is offline  
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 11:09 AM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Wiredsport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,229
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by newnew View Post
i'll have to demo my friend's boards when we hit up the mountain again. one has a 147 boxscratcher and the other guy has a 153 pickle.

i seriously think it's just beacuse i'm not heavy enough for the board. height has nothing to do with the size of the board i thought?
You are correct that rider height has nothing to do with board sizing. This particular board however is on the soft side and in 152 cm should be easily pressable with your 140 lbs. Are you comfortable with your stance? Is it ultra wide?
Wiredsport is offline  
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 187
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiredsport View Post
You are correct that rider height has nothing to do with board sizing. This particular board however is on the soft side and in 152 cm should be easily pressable with your 140 lbs. Are you comfortable with your stance? Is it ultra wide?
i'm 15/15 at a wider stance. i'm pretty comfortable. little wider than shoulder lenght. i can do 360's on flat grounds with minimal pop. makes it that much harder vs if i had more air time to spin.

i'll have to take a video and upload for you guys to see...

2010 152 LibTech Skate Banana, 2010 Ride nRc Bindings
newnew is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome