wrong board for me? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2012, 10:21 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default wrong board for me?

I don't mean to exhaust this topic since i'm assuming you've all read this time and time again, but i really need some insight on if i'm riding the right board.

i'm currently 5'10, 140lbs riding a 152 skate banana.

I've had this board for about 3 season now and i just started to get into the park last season. i felt that i couldn't butter or do much with it as it was too stiff (even though it should be the exact opposite), and when i could get some butters in, i would just fall backwards because of the deep angle i had to hold to get the board to come up.

on the other hand, the board is amazing in the mountains, i can carve like a champ and do everything else. it's just when the park and butters come in that the troubles arise.

I'm wondering if the 152 is too big and if i should go down to a 147?

that being said,

i was thinking of getting a never summer evo 147. but i really don't want to buy a new board just because i can't keep a flex in it. i do love the SB. don't really want to replace it but if i keep failing at my freeriding i may have to change it up.

someone please prove me wrong. lol
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2012, 10:26 AM   #2 (permalink)

152 is perfectly fine.

it's funny you say it's too stiff. i have the later versions which are even more stiff than yours, and i think mine is ridiculously soft. how soft exactly do you want your board being?

anyway, if you're falling on your ass, it's just that you suck. no offense. it's not the board.
KungMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:35 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KungMartin View Post
152 is perfectly fine.

it's funny you say it's too stiff. i have the later versions which are even more stiff than yours, and i think mine is ridiculously soft. how soft exactly do you want your board being?

anyway, if you're falling on your ass, it's just that you suck. no offense. it's not the board.
i'm not sure, but everytime i try and press it shoots me back down because i don't have the leg power/weight to keep it pressed.

but i've thought about it and would 5cm less really make that big of a difference?
Old 12-03-2012, 12:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned Bananas [national phenomenon]

Quote:
Originally Posted by newnew View Post
i'm not sure, but everytime i try and press it shoots me back down because i don't have the leg power/weight to keep it pressed.

but i've thought about it and would 5cm less really make that big of a difference?
Strengthening your legs as well as your core will help with your lack of butter ability. Also, general progression in the sport will.

Back in my more crazy days I rode a 147 ride kink. I was 65% jibs 25% jumps and 10% wherever. My hill also only has 900ft of vertical, not exactly hard riding. The 5cm difference can be huge. If you ride on a mountain with any decent vert and still want to ride the mountain at all, I'd stick with a 152. Just my opinion

alaric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

This board isn't stiff imo. I think it might be your technique. Keep on practicing, you need to find that sweet spot!

I think 152 is short enough for height anyways. There's no need to go lower.

Last edited by zeeden; 12-03-2012 at 08:58 PM.
zeeden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:57 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
I don't mean to exhaust this topic since i'm assuming you've all read this time and time again, but i really need some insight on if i'm riding the right board.

i'm currently 5'10, 140lbs riding a 152 skate banana.

I've had this board for about 3 season now and i just started to get into the park last season. i felt that i couldn't butter or do much with it as it was too stiff (even though it should be the exact opposite), and when i could get some butters in, i would just fall backwards because of the deep angle i had to hold to get the board to come up.

on the other hand, the board is amazing in the mountains, i can carve like a champ and do everything else. it's just when the park and butters come in that the troubles arise.

I'm wondering if the 152 is too big and if i should go down to a 147?

that being said,

i was thinking of getting a never summer evo 147. but i really don't want to buy a new board just because i can't keep a flex in it. i do love the SB. don't really want to replace it but if i keep failing at my freeriding i may have to change it up.

someone please prove me wrong. lol
I ride a 158 and am 5'11 165-170 lb
cd21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:02 AM   #7 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Hi newnew,

It sounds like you already are aware of this, but the Skate Banana is the softest board Lib makes in adult sizes (really small Box Scratchers excluded).

That doesn't mean that the flex is right for you or that length is an issue. I would highly suggest demoing another deck before buying. Try something different that is known as an easy press deck and that should answer your doubts.
Wiredsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:44 AM   #8 (permalink)

i'll have to demo my friend's boards when we hit up the mountain again. one has a 147 boxscratcher and the other guy has a 153 pickle.

i seriously think it's just beacuse i'm not heavy enough for the board. height has nothing to do with the size of the board i thought?
Old 12-04-2012, 10:09 AM   #9 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
i'll have to demo my friend's boards when we hit up the mountain again. one has a 147 boxscratcher and the other guy has a 153 pickle.

i seriously think it's just beacuse i'm not heavy enough for the board. height has nothing to do with the size of the board i thought?
You are correct that rider height has nothing to do with board sizing. This particular board however is on the soft side and in 152 cm should be easily pressable with your 140 lbs. Are you comfortable with your stance? Is it ultra wide?
Wiredsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:12 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiredsport View Post
You are correct that rider height has nothing to do with board sizing. This particular board however is on the soft side and in 152 cm should be easily pressable with your 140 lbs. Are you comfortable with your stance? Is it ultra wide?
i'm 15/15 at a wider stance. i'm pretty comfortable. little wider than shoulder lenght. i can do 360's on flat grounds with minimal pop. makes it that much harder vs if i had more air time to spin.

i'll have to take a video and upload for you guys to see...