Question about the Burton Hero? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2012, 12:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Default Question about the Burton Hero?

So, for my christmas this year I'm going up to Moonlight Basin on some bus with 2 of my friends, who happen to be skiiers who are maybe a 7 out-of-10 for 12 year olds, meaning since I'm new I don't want to hold them back. Now, I know I'm not going to be able to keep up with them the whole time, it's just I want to be good enough to not be kinda embarressed. I told them I was a newer snowboarder and all so they know not to expect a pro, but my main question was there is some run at Moonlight Basin in the Stillwater Bowl that is called Stillwater Traverse and it is a blue run. I'm guessing by the area (right below the headwaters) is that it's probably powder and I just wanted to know if my Burton Hero 2012 138 cm would work just normally? I mean I think so but I'm just kinda, I don't know, just kinda feeling sorta iffy about it since it's a freestyle/jib board (or so I'm told). So as I was thinking it's probably A-Ok I just thought might as well post it on here since there are people on this forum that actually know stuff, and have experienced some of it. Because I really want to be able to ride that by December 29th, so I will have 2 maybe 3 more days of practicing at Red Lodge.

Oh, and last thing, if anyone one reading this has been to Moonlight Basin, particularly the Stillwater Bowl area, please let me know if for a blue run, is it a more difficult blue run? Thanks, all help is apreciated.

Last edited by Backcountry; 12-04-2012 at 12:57 AM.
Backcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2012, 02:28 AM   #2 (permalink)

I have not been to a lot of hills, but most blue runs are groomed. They just tend to be steeper sections that may be a bit intimidating for beginners.

...Also it'll have to have snowed the night before you go to see powder because EVVERRYYYOOOONE eats up any route with powder the very second they see it.

If you do happen to ride in powder(snowing that day), you may be in for a very tiring day trying to pick yourself up again and again. Riding well in powder is very much a learned skill more than the board you ride.

Anyways, that's a bunch of "what-ifs". Just concentrate on learning your basics and keep progressing. I'm sure you'll have a blast out there.
Bayoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

You sounds like you want to progress quickly before your trip. This is great!

I think the best way to do this would be to actually go take a private lesson if you can afford to do so. If not private, then a good group lesson. Tell the instructor what you want to achieve and I think you'll be surprised at your progress.

Take a lesson as soon as possible, then have another trip out to practice what you learned before you go with your friends or even take a second lesson, ideally from the same instructor provide you liked him and got value out of it. That said, if you didn't get value out of it I'd talk to the ski school and ask for a comped lesson with someone else.

Good luck!
Brainwashed is offline   Reply With Quote