Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   252 Waist Width With Size 10.5 DC Status? (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/51908-252-waist-width-size-10-5-a.html)

JENKS 12-04-2012 07:47 PM

252 Waist Width With Size 10.5 DC Status?
 
Will a 252 Waist Width Work With Size 10.5 DC Status Boots? Or Too Small?

Extremo 12-04-2012 08:02 PM

I'd go wider. I'm a 10.5 and my all mtn board is a 24.8. I can get away with it most of the time because I ride the ice coast, but when the snow softens up or gets deep I get a lot of drag. My park board is a 25.5 and is much more suitable for a 10.5 profile IMHO.

hktrdr 12-04-2012 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JENKS (Post 547919)
Will a 252 Waist Width Work With Size 10.5 DC Status Boots? Or Too Small?

Impossible to know. Waist width alone is irrelevant in determining whether a board is wide enough or too wide.

What matters is foot size (not boot size) and width of the board at the inserts. After that you can look at overhang.

JENKS 12-04-2012 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hktrdr (Post 547949)
Impossible to know. Waist width alone is irrelevant in determining whether a board is wide enough or too wide.

What matters is foot size (not boot size) and width of the board at the inserts. After that you can look at overhang.

That makes sense. I measured my bare feet and they are 10.25 inches. Unfortunately I can't measure the board. It is a 2012 Ride Highlife UL in a size 158 regular.

BigmountainVMD 12-04-2012 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JENKS (Post 547960)
That makes sense. I measured my bare feet and they are 10.25 inches. Unfortunately I can't measure the board. It is a 2012 Ride Highlife UL in a size 158 regular.

Get the the tail width and average it with the waist width to get a "estimate" of the width at the inserts. Same with the tip width. At least it will be closer than using strictly waist.

JENKS 12-04-2012 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigmountainVMD (Post 547969)
Get the the tail width and average it with the waist width to get a "estimate" of the width at the inserts. Same with the tip width. At least it will be closer than using strictly waist.

The tail width is 300, tip width is 300 as well and waist width is 252 those added up to 552 divided by 2 = 276. My foot size 10.25 inches multiplied by 2.54 to get centimeters is 26.035. Do you think this will work?

hktrdr 12-04-2012 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JENKS (Post 547972)
The tail width is 300 and waist is 252 those added up to 552 divided by 2 = 276. My foot size 10.25 inches calculated into centimeters is 26.035. Do you think this will work?

That should be fine.

JENKS 12-04-2012 10:28 PM

Cool. Thanks for your help guys. Sorry it was a little difficult. I am going to buy this board rite now.

Extremo 12-05-2012 05:18 AM

What the hell does foot size have to do with board width? You're determining heel and toe drag. That's dependent on the outside profile of the boot, which can vary by up to a full size depending on the model. Then you'll have to figure in sidecut radius and stance width along that radius. You're dealing in terms of millimeters here. So choosing a waist width is really just a general rule, and by my experience 25.2 is too narrow, generally, for a 10.5 boot, unless you're riding boiler plate.

hktrdr 12-05-2012 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Extremo (Post 548095)
What the hell does foot size have to do with board width? You're determining heel and toe drag. That's dependent on the outside profile of the boot, which can vary by up to a full size depending on the model. Then you'll have to figure in sidecut radius and stance width along that radius. You're dealing in terms of millimeters here. So choosing a waist width is really just a general rule, and by my experience 25.2 is too narrow, generally, for a 10.5 boot, unless you're riding boiler plate.

Mostly wrong - read wired's excellent explanation (e.g., here).

Foot size is the primary determinant for proper board width, as it determines to what extent the rider can have proper edge control. Standing on the board with naked feet in the usual riding positions, the toes/heel should just be at the edge of the board or have slight overhang.
Size/dimensions of the boot will indeed determine toe and heel overhang/drag, but that is strictly a secondary concern.

You are correct that sidecut radius and stance width are important, as they affect width at the inserts - which I had already pointed out is the key dimension, rather than waist width.
But your generalization is not correct in my experience - 25.2cm WW should be enough for almost all 10.5 size boots almost regardless of sidecut. For instance, the GNU Billy Goat 159 has an even narrower waist and nose/tail than the board described by the OP and it still works just fine with 10.5 size boots.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:29 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2