252 Waist Width With Size 10.5 DC Status? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2012, 08:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: NorCal
Posts: 31
Default 252 Waist Width With Size 10.5 DC Status?

Will a 252 Waist Width Work With Size 10.5 DC Status Boots? Or Too Small?
JENKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-04-2012, 09:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Extremo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: NH
Posts: 3,345
Default

I'd go wider. I'm a 10.5 and my all mtn board is a 24.8. I can get away with it most of the time because I ride the ice coast, but when the snow softens up or gets deep I get a lot of drag. My park board is a 25.5 and is much more suitable for a 10.5 profile IMHO.
Extremo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,966
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JENKS View Post
Will a 252 Waist Width Work With Size 10.5 DC Status Boots? Or Too Small?
Impossible to know. Waist width alone is irrelevant in determining whether a board is wide enough or too wide.

What matters is foot size (not boot size) and width of the board at the inserts. After that you can look at overhang.
hktrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: NorCal
Posts: 31
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hktrdr View Post
Impossible to know. Waist width alone is irrelevant in determining whether a board is wide enough or too wide.

What matters is foot size (not boot size) and width of the board at the inserts. After that you can look at overhang.
That makes sense. I measured my bare feet and they are 10.25 inches. Unfortunately I can't measure the board. It is a 2012 Ride Highlife UL in a size 158 regular.
JENKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
BigmountainVMD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sugarloaf, ME / Philly
Posts: 1,204
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JENKS View Post
That makes sense. I measured my bare feet and they are 10.25 inches. Unfortunately I can't measure the board. It is a 2012 Ride Highlife UL in a size 158 regular.
Get the the tail width and average it with the waist width to get a "estimate" of the width at the inserts. Same with the tip width. At least it will be closer than using strictly waist.
BigmountainVMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: NorCal
Posts: 31
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigmountainVMD View Post
Get the the tail width and average it with the waist width to get a "estimate" of the width at the inserts. Same with the tip width. At least it will be closer than using strictly waist.
The tail width is 300, tip width is 300 as well and waist width is 252 those added up to 552 divided by 2 = 276. My foot size 10.25 inches multiplied by 2.54 to get centimeters is 26.035. Do you think this will work?

Last edited by JENKS; 12-04-2012 at 10:44 PM.
JENKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,966
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JENKS View Post
The tail width is 300 and waist is 252 those added up to 552 divided by 2 = 276. My foot size 10.25 inches calculated into centimeters is 26.035. Do you think this will work?
That should be fine.
hktrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: NorCal
Posts: 31
Default

Cool. Thanks for your help guys. Sorry it was a little difficult. I am going to buy this board rite now.
JENKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:18 AM   #9 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Extremo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: NH
Posts: 3,345
Default

What the hell does foot size have to do with board width? You're determining heel and toe drag. That's dependent on the outside profile of the boot, which can vary by up to a full size depending on the model. Then you'll have to figure in sidecut radius and stance width along that radius. You're dealing in terms of millimeters here. So choosing a waist width is really just a general rule, and by my experience 25.2 is too narrow, generally, for a 10.5 boot, unless you're riding boiler plate.
Extremo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:30 AM   #10 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,966
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extremo View Post
What the hell does foot size have to do with board width? You're determining heel and toe drag. That's dependent on the outside profile of the boot, which can vary by up to a full size depending on the model. Then you'll have to figure in sidecut radius and stance width along that radius. You're dealing in terms of millimeters here. So choosing a waist width is really just a general rule, and by my experience 25.2 is too narrow, generally, for a 10.5 boot, unless you're riding boiler plate.
Mostly wrong - read wired's excellent explanation (e.g., here).

Foot size is the primary determinant for proper board width, as it determines to what extent the rider can have proper edge control. Standing on the board with naked feet in the usual riding positions, the toes/heel should just be at the edge of the board or have slight overhang.
Size/dimensions of the boot will indeed determine toe and heel overhang/drag, but that is strictly a secondary concern.

You are correct that sidecut radius and stance width are important, as they affect width at the inserts - which I had already pointed out is the key dimension, rather than waist width.
But your generalization is not correct in my experience - 25.2cm WW should be enough for almost all 10.5 size boots almost regardless of sidecut. For instance, the GNU Billy Goat 159 has an even narrower waist and nose/tail than the board described by the OP and it still works just fine with 10.5 size boots.
hktrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:01 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums