Torn on the right board for me!! - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2012, 05:09 AM   #1 (permalink)

Question Torn on the right board for me!!

Weight: Fluctuates from 151 to 160 lbs, 152 right now
Boot size: 8 1/2
Riding style: Love bombing, want to learn to butter well and love jumps, option for occasional rails and boxes would be nice
Budget: $500 but I'll throw down more if it's worth it

Basically I'm an all-mtn guy that loves everything from bombing and jumps/kickers to carving and pow. I do want a playful board for butters and messing around, although I don't think I can sacrifice straight line bombing stability cause I love speed so much. I guess what I'm looking for is the best all-around board I can mold myself into. Buttery, good speed and stability, good turn initiation, good for landing jumps, and the occasional super deep stuff and rails but not as much as what I mentioned first. I'd like to be able to survive in deep pow enough to enjoy it though. Really an all around fun board, I know it's hard to specialize in much of these traits cause well.. I want it all.. For all I know I might fall in love with the park and hit jumps and rails every run; which makes me feel I need a do it all. The one thing I don't want to sacrifice too much is stability in bombing, but I also want to be able to butter, so whatever that in-between is.. Kind of makes me think of a GNU RC.. I'm thinking maybe the best idea is to get a really kick ass all around board in the all-mtn freestyle range. Can never go wrong with that, maybe later on if I feel I want a board for a specific style like pow or a strict park board I can do that down the road.

Here's what I was looking at the most:
Never Summer Proto | The Good Ride - I liked this for the all around stats and the flex for buttering and such, although I do really love bombing straight..

Gnu Riders Choice | The Good Ride - This because it seems like the best "all-around board" I may be looking for.

Rome Agent Rocker | The Good Ride - this seems to have that all around playful touch maybe minus being as stable as the GNU for bombing.

Lib Tech Jamie Lynn Phoenix | The Good Ride - this would be badass, I'm just worried about how playful it will be with how stiff it is..

I previously bought a 159 2012 Attack Banana at Skidazzle last yr and rode it for 8 days in Mammoth, I really didn't like it too much.. 159 seems way too big cause I had a a lot of trouble on turn initiation and getting an overall control on the board. It was a constant battle and I felt it was more controlling me and unfortunately I was really disappointed with my first board choice. I found it nearly impossible to whip around on the double black diamond mogul runs too. I also had boots that were half size too big so that's a huge red herring.. I'm actually going to put this board up for sale soon to help afford whatever I decide on. Please recommend whatever you think best suits me, I'm completely open!

Last edited by Brizors; 12-06-2012 at 03:04 AM. Reason: grammar
Brizors is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2012, 07:27 PM   #2 (permalink)

hmm no one? I'm thinking the GNU RC would be my best bet
Old 12-05-2012, 08:21 PM   #3 (permalink)

Indoor Survival FK 156. Carbon stringers in the middle for stability, FK for playfulness.

/end
I<3snowp0rn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:57 PM   #4 (permalink)

Pretty schweet, seems to have some decent reviews. Would like more suggestions/opinions from more riders
Old 12-05-2012, 09:48 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brizors View Post
Pretty schweet, seems to have some decent reviews. Would like more suggestions/opinions from more riders
Try this
K2 Happy Hour Snowboard | Snowboards | K2 Snowboarding 2012-13
cd21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:11 PM   #6 (permalink)

Dude I saw that and loved it's specs, other than being a little stiffer, but it's nice that it's light weight too.

I really like the across the board specs of the GNU RC, I could sacrifice some stiffness though, I'm really digging the NS Proto CP for some reason. It's got a softer flex, it's more lightweight, and you don't sacrifice speed stability, also great for jumps.(all based of reviews I've read)

I think I keep coming back to the GNU RC and NS Proto CP because they both have great turn initiation and the other specs I'm looking for, plus both having good wood awards def helps.

What do you guys think of the Proto CP? It would be nice to have a lightweight, buttery board without sacrificing speed stability, the Proto CP seems to fit the bill best so far.

It's also listed as the top pick here for Mammoth which is where I'll be primarily riding: http://www.snowboardermag.com/gear/2.../best-of-test/

Last edited by Brizors; 12-05-2012 at 10:16 PM.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Dude I saw that and loved it's specs, other than being a little stiffer, but it's nice that it's light weight too.

I really like the across the board specs of the GNU RC, I could sacrifice some stiffness though, I'm really digging the NS Proto CP for some reason. It's got a softer flex, it's more lightweight, and you don't sacrifice speed stability, also great for jumps.(all based of reviews I've read)

I think I keep coming back to the GNU RC and NS Proto CP because they both have great turn initiation and the other specs I'm looking for, plus both having good wood awards def helps.

What do you guys think of the Proto CP? It would be nice to have a lightweight, buttery board without sacrificing speed stability, the Proto CP seems to fit the bill best so far.

It's also listed as the top pick here for Mammoth which is where I'll be primarily riding: Buyer’s Guide 2012 – Best of Test | Snowboarder Magazine
I think the good wood award isn't that important
Old 12-05-2012, 10:22 PM   #8 (permalink)

I have no idea, IIRC to get the award I think snowboarder takes a bunch of the top riders and supplies around 10 boards for each rider to ride and rate. But that and being listed as the top board for mammoth is def influencing my decision, not as much as it's review here though: Never Summer Proto | The Good Ride

I dunno am I doing it wrong?
Old 12-05-2012, 10:25 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
I have no idea, IIRC to get the award I think snowboarder takes a bunch of the top riders and supplies around 10 boards for each rider to ride and rate. But that and being listed as the top board for mammoth is def influencing my decision, not as much as it's review here though: Never Summer Proto | The Good Ride

I dunno am I doing it wrong?
I was saying that I don't think that the award is that important
Old 12-05-2012, 10:35 PM   #10 (permalink)

Oh I know, I'm just ranting really..