Board for Deeper Days - Charlie Slasher? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2012, 12:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Default Board for Deeper Days - Charlie Slasher?

I'm 6'4'' 205 lbs with size 12 boots. I mostly freeride, hitting off-piste/trees whenever the snow allows and mostly looking for natural jumps, jibs and drops.

I ride a 161.5 T-Rice for everything but I am looking to pick up another board that will float better for the deeper days. I'm not really looking for pure powderboard for Deep BC type riding, really just a resort powderboard that will allow me to still have fun hitting the natural terrain but give me better float and less leg burn than my T-Rice.

Thoughts on the 164 Charlie Slasher for this purpose? It retails for pretty cheap and I may also buy a 2011 on CR for even less.
schmitty34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2012, 12:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Burton Driver-X
K2-Cinch-CTX
Subaru WRX 06
KIRKRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Supra may come in and recommend the sherlock (which I haven't ridden yet, but want for next year.) so I can't personally say it's a good choice, but based on people's impressions and thoughts, it may be what you're looking for.

I have ridden the Charlie Slasher and it's a beast. It looks like a regular snowboard, you stand on it like a regular snowboard (set back a little bit) and it rides like a regular snowboard......but in pow.

Both my GNU and Joystick floated pretty well in pow, but I had to really get my legs going, especially the back one, to adjust/absorb the terrain. I even flipped over the handle bars a few times when I wasn't careful.

Charlie is different. All I had to do was strap in and ride. No rear leg burn (that I can remember), it smashes through crud, it's impossible to sink, and shit that would have been a disaster on the other boards I've ridden in pow, were an afterthought. At the end of the day, you're not tired, and you probably had an easier time riding than people on regular boards with a higher skill level (at least I did.)

Price is nice too.

/my worthless opinion

Last edited by phony_stark; 12-05-2012 at 01:42 PM.
phony_stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

PowderSnake
Old 12-05-2012, 01:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I love my 164 CS. I agree with the previous poster, even in deep pow, you just ride. You don't even think about keeping your weight back, the set back, taper, and that big upkicked nose do the work for you.

For a dedicated pow stick, I just don't see dishing out $500+. It's a special occasion board. That's why I went with the CS, great pow stick and the price is right. Another board to look at that fits those criteria is the Salomon Powder Snake. *Oops, saw the poster above me had already mentioned it.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by linvillegorge View Post
I love my 164 CS. I agree with the previous poster, even in deep pow, you just ride. You don't even think about keeping your weight back, the set back, taper, and that big upkicked nose do the work for you.

For a dedicated pow stick, I just don't see dishing out $500+. It's a special occasion board. That's why I went with the CS, great pow stick and the price is right. Another board to look at that fits those criteria is the Salomon Powder Snake. *Oops, saw the poster above me had already mentioned it.
Yeah, that's my thoughts as well. I'm not going to use the board real often (I wish it was deep everyday) so I'm not looking to spend a ton.

There's a 2011 164 CS on craigslist near me right now that I am thinking of jumping on for around $200. He's asking more, but since I can get a new one for $399 I think he's asking too much.

Definitely going to look more at the Powder Snake as well. Maybe the hovercraft because that edit was so convincing....
Old 12-05-2012, 01:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

One of the most hilarious reviews/overviews of all time.

2010 Capita Charlie Slasher POW FK - YouTube
Old 12-05-2012, 01:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

My buddy just picked one up and commented on how fast it is, and how it floats so well. He also mentioned that with the hybrid shape, it sinks if you try to ride switch on anything but a groomer. I can't wait to steal it from him and try it out...
Triple8Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:42 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phony_stark View Post
One of the most hilarious reviews/overviews of all time.

2010 Capita Charlie Slasher POW FK - YouTube
Sold!!

Funny, but some sick riding to watch as well.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:43 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

WAPOW!!!

You'll love it, it's fucking life changing.

Edit: I believe they're riding in the same place T.Rice's Supernatural comp was held.