2013 Lib Tech Banana Magic impressions / review - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2012, 08:04 AM   #11 (permalink)
Jeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeb View Post
Me: I'd call myself an "advanced intermediate" who gets out 20-30 times a year, mostly in NH and Maine. I am more into groomers, glades and natural smaller jumps than the park.

The only Lib Tech boards I demo'ed were the TRS, the Skate Banana and the Attack Banana.

- The Skate Banana was really not for me. I could tell that in 1 run.

- The TRS is an awesome board. I loved it right away and thought I was going to buy it. I could have, and I probably would have been just as happy with it.

- The last board I demo'd was the Attack Banana, and I just liked the feel a little better at speed. For me, the TRS held its edge the same as the AB, but I just thought the AB was a little more buttery. Turn initiation just seemed so effortless. I liked the looks of it - and I got one for about $75 less than the TRS.

I can't speak to the Banana Magic. It's the clear-cut favorite of a very knowledgeable local shop guy, but that's all I know about it.

Wish I could offer more.
If it matters, these were all 2012 models.
Jeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2012, 08:07 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hktrdr View Post
Only numbers 1 and 4 (and maybe 3 and 7) are good for the type of riding that you are describing. 2 and 6 are probably the worst choices on your list.
Could you please explain that a bit more? Why do you think that the TRS fits better than the Attack Banana? Why do you think that the BM doesn't fit at all? Thanks a lot in advance.
someguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:14 AM   #13 (permalink)
Fire on Ice...and Powder!

Quote:
Only numbers 1 and 4 (and maybe 3 and 7) are good for the type of riding that you are describing. 2 and 6 are probably the worst choices on your list.
I agree that 1 and 4 are probably best choices, but disagree that the Banana Magic is a worst choice. Since he doesn't do much jibbing, and the BM is FANTASTIC in the pipe and good on kickers, I think that is still worthy of consideration.
No to the Jamie Lynn.
And I don't know 7 & 8 enough to have an opinion there.
GreyDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:56 AM   #14 (permalink)

I have a Banana Magic 157 and a Never Summer Evo 152. I like the Magic more for days where I am riding powder (better float) or want to carve (magnetraction). I ride the Evo on days where I want to mess around and have a more playful board. And I actually prefer the Evo in the trees because its soft shape and shorter length make it easier to rip through turns.

I will say that the Magic has quite a bit more "bite" as far as edge hold. That can be a good and a bad thing.

Good because on an icy day, the edges hold much better and you never wash out. You can carve a perfect sine wave and it feels like you're on rails.

The bad is that I consider this a board where you almost need to always be paying attention to what you're doing, an advanced board. The reason I say this is because last year there was a time where I was hauling ass down the mountain and kind of not paying attention and caught and edge and damn near broke the back of my skull when I slammed down. Now this a bit of user error on my part for not really paying attention when going really fast... but its also something to consider.

I've ridden the Magic the last few times I've been out this year (early season = icier), but I've come to find it was a lot more fun than I remembered it from last year. When I bought the Evo last year... I rode that almost every time I went up just because it was my new board, playful, etc. But getting back on the Magic (which I did because I kept washing out on my Evo on the ice, but I will say I needed my edges sharpened), it really renewed my interest in that board. My only wish is that it was a 154 instead of a 157 (I have the 1st years model, 2010 I think, which only came in 152 and 157. They didn't come out with a 154 until 2011).

So again, I personally consider the Magic an advanced board in that you have to be focused when riding it - but it is a really great board. If you want to be buttering and what not, I'd suggest something softer / smaller.
turbospartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:09 PM   #15 (permalink)

Ok thanks a lot for the input.

If I'd want to get a TRS or Attack Banana, which size would you recommend me?
Old 12-07-2012, 12:52 PM   #16 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy View Post
Could you please explain that a bit more? Why do you think that the TRS fits better than the Attack Banana? Why do you think that the BM doesn't fit at all? Thanks a lot in advance.
There are many reason, but this one alone answers the question: You are primarily riding groomers/on-piste, but the Magic is primarily an off-piste board.
Fantastic deck, but groomers are not its strong suit. Its like taking a big pow stick into the park - you could, but why would you want to?
hktrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:55 PM   #17 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDragon View Post
I agree that 1 and 4 are probably best choices, but disagree that the Banana Magic is a worst choice. Since he doesn't do much jibbing, and the BM is FANTASTIC in the pipe and good on kickers, I think that is still worthy of consideration.
No to the Jamie Lynn.
And I don't know 7 & 8 enough to have an opinion there.
Actually, the Jamie Lynn is a better choice, as it is far superior to the Magic on groomers (except for in very icy conditions).
Old 12-07-2012, 01:53 PM   #18 (permalink)
Jeb

Quote:
There are many reason, but this one alone answers the question: You are primarily riding groomers/on-piste, but the Magic is primarily an off-piste board.
Fantastic deck, but groomers are not its strong suit. Its like taking a big pow stick into the park - you could, but why would you want to?
This is a good point. I can attest that the Attack Banana kills it on groomers. It loves ice and hardpack, soft snow and slush. It's a true "all-mountain" option.
Jeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:22 PM   #19 (permalink)

Very interesting. So I guess I should better be buying a LibTech TRS or Attack Banana. You guys also recommended GNU Rider's Choice to me, but I think I prefer the LibTech boards. I can't quite explain why, but the fact that more LibTech boards are recommended as top-boards makes me think that they produce better boards and have more experience in general. I know that they belong together at Mervin, but maybe there's still a difference.

So when those two boards are shortlisted, which one of them is a little bit more suitable and which size would you take?

- LibTech TRS 157 (minimum rider weight 58kg)
- LibTech TRS 159 (minimum rider weight 63kg)
- LibTech Attack Banana 156 (minimum rider weight 61kg)
- LibTech Attack Banana 159 (minimum rider weight 63kg)

I weigh about 70kg and together with my clothes and equipment I'm far over the 63kg, so I tend to get 159 length.

@hktrdr & @GreyDragon:

Both of you said that 1 (TRS) and 4 (RC) are best and that 3 (AB) is only second-best. Why is that? Could you please explain why you think that TRS fits better to me than Attack Banana? I need to know more about the thing TRS vs. Attack Banana. I feel like I can pull the trigger soon, but I need some more information before spending that much money. :-)

By the way, what do you think about my proposal to combine that board with a Rome 390 Boss and Burton Ions? At the moment I use Burton Cartels with Salomon Maori boots.

Last edited by someguy; 12-07-2012 at 06:34 PM.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:29 PM   #20 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy View Post
Very interesting. So I guess I should better be buying a LibTech TRS or Attack Banana. You guys also recommended GNU Rider's Choice to me, but I think I prefer the LibTech boards. I can't quite explain why, but the fact that more LibTech boards are recommended as top-boards makes me think that they produce better boards and have more experience in general. I know that they belong together at Mervin, but maybe there's still a difference.

So when those two boards are shortlisted, which one of them is a little bit more suitable and which size would you take?

- LibTech TRS 157 (minimum rider weight 58kg)
- LibTech TRS 159 (minimum rider weight 63kg)
- LibTech Attack Banana 156 (minimum rider weight 61kg)
- LibTech Attack Banana 159 (minimum rider weight 63kg)

I weigh about 70kg and together with my clothes and equipment I'm far over the 63kg, so I tend to get 159 length.

@hktrdr & @GreyDragon:

Both of you said that 1 (TRS) and 4 (RC) are best and that 3 (AB) is only second-best. Why is that? Could you please explain why you think that TRS fits better to me than Attack Banana? I need to know more about the thing TRS vs. Attack Banana. I feel like I can pull the trigger soon, but I need some more information before spending that much money. :-)

By the way, what do you think about my proposal to combine that board with a Rome 390 Boss and Burton Ions? At the moment I use Burton Cartels with Salomon Maori boots.
GNU boards are just as well/badly constructed as Lib-Tech. Zero difference. Many people would consider the RC to be a slightly upgraded TRS.

I picked those two over the AB because the camber profile-flex combo is better suited to groomers IMO. The AB has more rocker in the profile which helps with float in powder and turn initiation/looseness. However, to avoid it becoming to squirrelly/unstable on hard (like the Magic, which has more rocker) Mervin increased the stiffness resulting in less playfulness, pop, andvbutterability.
Accordingly, for mostly groomer riding I would go with the TRS/RC for playfulness and pop, while the AB is better for off-piste because of the float in powder and the extra stiffness.

Last edited by hktrdr; 12-07-2012 at 09:31 PM.