2013 Lib Tech Banana Magic impressions / review - Page 3 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2012, 12:21 AM   #21 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Brainwashed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: PNW
Posts: 126
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hktrdr View Post
Actually, the Jamie Lynn is a better choice, as it is far superior to the Magic on groomers (except for in very icy conditions).
I disagree. The Banana Magic is amazing on groomers. I am starting to doubt you have actually ridden these boards.
Brainwashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-08-2012, 12:37 AM   #22 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,966
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainwashed View Post
I disagree. The Banana Magic is amazing on groomers. I am starting to doubt you have actually ridden these boards.
As I said in the other thread: It is your right to disagree with me, but I stand by my opinion. The Magic is an amazing board, but a groomer deck it ain't.

Incidentally, that is also what Mervin is saying about the board...
hktrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:04 AM   #23 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 168
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy View Post
Very interesting. So I guess I should better be buying a LibTech TRS or Attack Banana. You guys also recommended GNU Rider's Choice to me, but I think I prefer the LibTech boards. I can't quite explain why, but the fact that more LibTech boards are recommended as top-boards makes me think that they produce better boards and have more experience in general. I know that they belong together at Mervin, but maybe there's still a difference.

So when those two boards are shortlisted, which one of them is a little bit more suitable and which size would you take?

- LibTech TRS 157 (minimum rider weight 58kg)
- LibTech TRS 159 (minimum rider weight 63kg)
- LibTech Attack Banana 156 (minimum rider weight 61kg)
- LibTech Attack Banana 159 (minimum rider weight 63kg)

I weigh about 70kg and together with my clothes and equipment I'm far over the 63kg, so I tend to get 159 length.

@hktrdr & @GreyDragon:

Both of you said that 1 (TRS) and 4 (RC) are best and that 3 (AB) is only second-best. Why is that? Could you please explain why you think that TRS fits better to me than Attack Banana? I need to know more about the thing TRS vs. Attack Banana. I feel like I can pull the trigger soon, but I need some more information before spending that much money. :-)

By the way, what do you think about my proposal to combine that board with a Rome 390 Boss and Burton Ions? At the moment I use Burton Cartels with Salomon Maori boots.
The weight recommendation is a minimum, and its just that.. a recommendation. Don't be worried you are a good bit heavier than the minimum. I'm 75kg and I'd never consider the TRS in 159. Even at 5kg heavier than you my decision would be between the 154 and 157.

I like the park and love hitting any natural features I can find, don't get the chance to ride much powder (and when I do I'll have a powder deck) and enjoy a more playful feel when on groomers as apposed to a stiffer board to bomb with. 154 would be my personal preference on the TRS.

Had a smiliar decision recently between 157/154 NS Proto, got the 154.
Richie67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:15 AM   #24 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,966
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie67 View Post
The weight recommendation is a minimum, and its just that.. a recommendation. Don't be worried you are a good bit heavier than the minimum. I'm 75kg and I'd never consider the TRS in 159. Even at 5kg heavier than you my decision would be between the 154 and 157.

I like the park and love hitting any natural features I can find, don't get the chance to ride much powder (and when I do I'll have a powder deck) and enjoy a more playful feel when on groomers as apposed to a stiffer board to bomb with. 154 would be my personal preference on the TRS.

Had a smiliar decision recently between 157/154 NS Proto, got the 154.
Completely agree. I am about 70kg (without clothes and gear) and would chose between the 154 and 157 on the TRS. No way longer than that.
For the AB it would be 156 for sure.
hktrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:26 AM   #25 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Brainwashed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: PNW
Posts: 126
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hktrdr View Post
As I said in the other thread: It is your right to disagree with me, but I stand by my opinion. The Magic is an amazing board, but a groomer deck it ain't.

Incidentally, that is also what Mervin is saying about the board...
Where is Mervin saying that the Magic is more of a off groomer board and the Lynn where the Lynn is? The Lynn is actually set back .5" for powder.

Have you ridden these boards? If you had you would know the Magic is not squirelly and rips in the carve.
Brainwashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 02:00 AM   #26 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Brainwashed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: PNW
Posts: 126
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy View Post
Hello Brainwashed,

this is Julian from Germany. I read your review and it's VERY interesting for me because I tend to buy a LibTech board, but I still don't know which one to get.

About me:
Usually I'm rinding 70% of my time on piste/groomers, 20% Offpiste/Frontcountry, 10% Park. I'm 1,82m tall and weigh 70kg. I am able to ride quite OK, which means: Normal pistes (all difficulties) are no problem, except for steep mogul slopes. Until now I haven't spent so much time in the park (i.e <<10% of my time, but I want to spend more time in the park in the future and come to the abovementioned 10% then). My park skills are modest therefore, i.e. flat boxes and small kickers are OK and I'm not doing any rails yet. I always try to catch powder if possible. Deep snow isn't a problem usually, except for when the ground and weather conditions are very bad.

At the moment I'm riding an Atom (not Atomic) Royality 159 Allmountain-Board with a Burton Cartel 09/10 binding and I use Salomon Maori in 42 (9).

What I am looking for:

I'm looking for a board that suits best for the abovementioned riding style. I looked around in german and english forums, at snowboard magazines' reviews, at blogs (angrysnowboarder, shayboarder, etc.) and in reviews in Youtube.

From what I heard, these boards would be my favorites at the moment (order: 1 = preferred, 8 = not preferred):

1.) LibTech TRS 157/159 (still undecided regarding the length)
2.) LibTech Banana Magic 157
3.) LibTech Attack Banana 156/159 (still undecided regarding the length)
4.) GNU Riders Choice 157
5.) Capita Black Snowboard Of Death 156/159 (still undecided regarding the length)
6.) LibTech Jamie Lynn Phoenix 157/160 (still undecided regarding the length)
7.) Ride Machete GT 157/160 (still undecided regarding the length)
8.) Rome Mod Rocker 156/159 (still undecided regarding the length)

I think the Neversumme boards (for example SL and Proto) are fine boards too, but I think they won't fit to my requirements so well.

Most important questions:

What do you think which LibTech Board fits best to me and which size would you recommed for me? I heard positive reviews about all of the boards, which makes the decision quite hard. I want to go for some buttering too and I thought that the Magic is too stiff for that and that I might be happier with a TRS, for example. An experienced guy from a german forum strongly recommended that I should prefer the Attack Banana over the Banana Magic, but I also heard that the EC2 is not so matured in comparison to the C2BTX or the shape of the Banana Magic (I forgot the name).

In this review they (just like you) prefer the Banana Magic more than the Attack Banana.



Also the guy in this video doesn't look so euphoric when he speaks about the Attack Banana.



I also tend to switch to Rome 390 Boss bindings (I like the idea of these canting pads because I have some knee issues) and Burton Ion boots (size 9). Do you think that's a fine combination together with some LibTech board?
Those are tough questions.

In my opinion, and it should be noted that I completely disagree with HKTRDR who has replied multiple times in response to you, for your riding I would rank the boards your looking at like this:

1.) LibTech TRS 157/159 (still undecided regarding the length)
2.) LibTech Attack Banana 156/159 (still undecided regarding the length)
3.) LibTech Banana Magic 157

I actually avoid the park. It would need to be perfect conditions for me to go in there. So for me the Banana MAgic is great. It flat rips on the groomers. And I mean, it's dead solid fast, steady and planted. It links carves better than some of the old slalom race boards I use to actually run gates with. It's great. Other people have said the same thing. Hell I was talking to a guy who finished boards at the Mervin Factory last weekend at Crystal and he said the Magic is too "carvy" for him and he like the Attack Banana.

For you, it sounds like you would want a board a little more forgiving on the park and doing jibs and flatland type tricks and buttering. That would point your wants more towards the Attack Banana or the TRS. I think the Magic Banana would be a little too demanding and stiff for a beginner in the aprk. I would want a full Skate Banana if I wanted to learn how to ride the stuff in the park.

I just got back from skipping work and riding all day in 14" of new. I am still loving the Magic for the riding I do, but again I don't go in the park. I wouldn't know what I would want from a snowboard even if I did go in there. I would just want the softest more rockery board and shortest board I could get.

I would steer your towards one of the shorter length Attack Banana or the TRS. I would say the Attack Banana as a first choice. And again, the shorter lengths. You would only want more length if you want float in the powder. For jibs and the parks I would run a shorter board.

You really should demo all three boards though so you can feel what you think of them. Is there a way you can do that in Germany?

If you can't demo them, I really do think you would be happy with either the Attack or the TRS. I know I would have!

Last edited by Brainwashed; 12-08-2012 at 02:05 AM.
Brainwashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:07 AM   #27 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,966
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainwashed View Post
Where is Mervin saying that the Magic is more of a off groomer board and the Lynn where the Lynn is? The Lynn is actually set back .5" for powder.

Have you ridden these boards? If you had you would know the Magic is not squirelly and rips in the carve.
Mervin says so pretty much in every single piece of marketing material that we have for our shops. Their reps are also consistent in pointing that the Magic is all-terrain machine meant for powder, ice, and broken snow - pretty much anything but groomers and park.
Yes, it can lock into a carve on hardpack because of its terrific edge hold (although those carves are nothing compared to the amazing pow carves and slashes that the board is capable of), but it is still squirelly on groomers and hardpack - a function of the amount of rocker in the profile and of the sidecut (plus a few other factors).

The Jamie Lynn is a completely different animal. It is more of a charging deck than one made for pow slashing than the Magic. And it has the setback for pow because it much less rocker in profile than the Magic (and the other Lib-Tech C2 decks) - incidentally that also makes it a much more stable board on groomers.

And yes, I have ridden these board - and some of our shops sell them. I have also owned my fair share of different Bananas. That would include a Magic if I did not have 2 other pow targeted already - because I sure as hell would not own for groomer use.
hktrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:11 AM   #28 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,966
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainwashed View Post
Those are tough questions.

In my opinion, and it should be noted that I completely disagree with HKTRDR who has replied multiple times in response to you, for your riding I would rank the boards your looking at like this:

1.) LibTech TRS 157/159 (still undecided regarding the length)
2.) LibTech Attack Banana 156/159 (still undecided regarding the length)
3.) LibTech Banana Magic 157

I actually avoid the park. It would need to be perfect conditions for me to go in there. So for me the Banana MAgic is great. It flat rips on the groomers. And I mean, it's dead solid fast, steady and planted. It links carves better than some of the old slalom race boards I use to actually run gates with. It's great. Other people have said the same thing. Hell I was talking to a guy who finished boards at the Mervin Factory last weekend at Crystal and he said the Magic is too "carvy" for him and he like the Attack Banana.

For you, it sounds like you would want a board a little more forgiving on the park and doing jibs and flatland type tricks and buttering. That would point your wants more towards the Attack Banana or the TRS. I think the Magic Banana would be a little too demanding and stiff for a beginner in the aprk. I would want a full Skate Banana if I wanted to learn how to ride the stuff in the park.
Well, we do seem disagree on the relative ranking of Lib-Tech boards for the guy asking the questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainwashed View Post
I just got back from skipping work and riding all day in 14" of new. I am still loving the Magic for the riding I do, but again I don't go in the park. I wouldn't know what I would want from a snowboard even if I did go in there. I would just want the softest more rockery board and shortest board I could get.

I would steer your towards one of the shorter length Attack Banana or the TRS. I would say the Attack Banana as a first choice. And again, the shorter lengths. You would only want more length if you want float in the powder. For jibs and the parks I would run a shorter board.
And we agree on that, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainwashed View Post
You really should demo all three boards though so you can feel what you think of them. Is there a way you can do that in Germany?

If you can't demo them, I really do think you would be happy with either the Attack or the TRS. I know I would have!
And agree on that that, as well

Last edited by hktrdr; 08-22-2013 at 03:26 AM.
hktrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:19 AM   #29 (permalink)
Jeb
Member
 
Jeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: People's Republic of Cambridge (MA)
Posts: 64
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hktrdr View Post
GNU boards are just as well/badly constructed as Lib-Tech. Zero difference. Many people would consider the RC to be a slightly upgraded TRS.

I picked those two over the AB because the camber profile-flex combo is better suited to groomers IMO. The AB has more rocker in the profile which helps with float in powder and turn initiation/looseness. However, to avoid it becoming to squirrelly/unstable on hard (like the Magic, which has more rocker) Mervin increased the stiffness resulting in less playfulness, pop, andvbutterability.
Accordingly, for mostly groomer riding I would go with the TRS/RC for playfulness and pop, while the AB is better for off-piste because of the float in powder and the extra stiffness.
This may be true, but it still should be noted that the AB is a solid performer on groomers and hardpack (dozens of reputable online reviews agree). The rocker/camber Ec2 Rocker/camber is a total blast and a killer option. I own it and I don't consider it "squirrely" in the least. Super-versatile board!
Jeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:50 AM   #30 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,966
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeb View Post
This may be true, but it still should be noted that the AB is a solid performer on groomers and hardpack (dozens of reputable online reviews agree). The rocker/camber Ec2 Rocker/camber is a total blast and a killer option. I own it and I don't consider it "squirrely" in the least. Super-versatile board!
That was my point: Unlike the Magic, the AB is not nearly as squirrelly - in part because of the different camber profiles and in part because of the flex pattern. Unfortunately (and partially because oft these two factors), the board is not as playful as the TRS.
hktrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:08 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums