2013 Lib Tech Banana Magic impressions / review - Page 6 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2013, 04:52 PM   #51 (permalink)

Since this is becoming somewhat of a repository of Banana Magic reviews here
is another well worded Banana Magic review I just came across:

2012 Lib Tech Banana Magic Review

Size: 157cm
Stance: 23.5″, 18 negative 12 regular
Shape: Banana rocker but with very mild camber zone under feet, not pronounced enough to be called a C2 banana, but not really a banana.
Bindings: Union Contacts
Daveís stats: 6′, 210 lbs
Leoís stats: 5í9″ 180 lbs

Flex: Lib uses basalt instead of fiberglass to go along with the ďeco-friendlyĒ theme that is taking the snowsurfboard world by storm. The Banana Magic is pretty stiff, probably 7 out of 10 but a fairly stiff 7. For those of you that have ridden the T.Rice, it is slightly less stiff than that board.

Ollie/Pop: Tons of pop.

Handling: The Magic was exceptionally stable at high speed and responsive, quick to roll over edge to edge. Magnetraction actually does work, although itís a little over-hyped. It does give you noticeable performance everywhere but it isnít going to turn that bulletproof blue ice in to powder, you still need to know how to handle yourself.

Leo says: I do agree with David that magne-traction isnít going to turn ice into powder, but it is the best option for these types of conditions. Iíd actually prefer it over my positive cambered stick. I also believe the Magic has a more mellow magne-traction. The Banana Magicís edge to edge power is something else. For the second year in a row of my demoing, it is the best handling board out of the bunch. Short, medium, and long carves are all very fun to engage on the Magic. Itís definitely not the fastest stick Iíve been on, but fast enough.

Jibs/Playfulness: This board wasnít what Iíd call ďplayfulĒ, it was meant to be ridden pretty hard. That said for a stiff all-mountain deck it would be forgiving for an advanced or advanced-intermediate rider. You could probably take it in the park and Iím sure it will excel on the jump line. You could jib with this board but I donít know why youíd want to.

Leo says: I didnít jump with this board this year, but I did last year. Nothing special though, Iíd say it was a 10′er. Popped off a lot of rollers and some bigger moguls. Handled very well and wasnít washy.

Price: Not for the faint of heart, this board should retail somewhere around $700 placing it firmly in to the stratosphere of snowboard pricing, but mirroring an industry-wide trend (more on this later) towards more expensive, premium boards. Click on the "Buy Now" button to compare prices.
Daveís Take: I wouldíve preferred a stiffer binding pairing but anyways this board was the only 5-star deck I rode on day 1 of Test Fest; a blast to ride and very responsive but is definitely geared towards the more advanced riders. The magentraction gave you great edge hold and it carved like a dream. I feel like this is more of a freeride board than an ďall mountain freestyleĒ but if bombing steeps and hitting natural features is your thing, this board is gonna do it for you.

Leoís Take: The Banana Magic was my favorite board last year and I was highly anticipating riding it again this year. I even told David we canít be friends anymore if he didnít like this board. Even with the horrible Union Contacts on this stick, I thoroughly enjoyed it and gave it my only 5 star rating this year. If you are looking to buy this stick, do yourself a favor and put at least mid-stiff bindings on it. Personally, Iíd slap some Rome Targas or Ride SPIs on it. By the way, make sure you know how to ride before hopping on the Magic. Itís for the advanced intermediate and up.
Brainwashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement