Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Women's off-piste snowboard recommendations? (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/52001-womens-off-piste-snowboard-recommendations.html)

knoxious 12-06-2012 05:55 PM

Women's off-piste snowboard recommendations?

Hey peeps,

Super excited to have just pulled the trigger on flights to BC for a months powder chasing in Nelson and Rossland

I'll have my wife with me who is super keen and progressing well, but is still relatively new and hasn't hit deep powder yet (neither had I until I went to Red last year to be honest!). We'll will need to kit her out with a good board, so I'm coming to you guys for some advice...

I'm looking for:
- all mountain style board that leans more to off-piste than to park (so, something that's set back a bit would be cool).
- some kind of rocker or hybrid to help her in the deep.
- fun stuff like magne-traction/frostbite?
- sintered base.
- she'll be needing bindings too so any of Burton's channel boards aren't a problem.

Any advices?

Cheers! Dave

binarypie 12-06-2012 06:17 PM

Jones Mothership comes to mind or a Twin Sister.

My fiancee picked up a K2 High Lite and Burton Escapades and absolutely loves them together.

wrathfuldeity 12-06-2012 09:44 PM

Its hard to recommend anything without some info and stats....where is she riding now, what level of runs and how often, what is she riding now board & size, her aggressiveness and athleticism, skill level, riding style preference, boot size, weight, height and a pic.

knoxious 12-07-2012 04:05 AM

@wrathfuldeity "and a pic" lol...
I can do the maths on the size and stuff... she's only ever rented but is mad for the powder turns. I wouldn't put her down as crazy athletic, but we are both circus performers so maybe we're both a little over average? ;)

@binarypie - thanks pal, the K2 Bright Lite was the first board I'd looked at for her and so the High Lite is on much the same path. I think the JOnes boards are a bit too serious for her right now.

keep em coming!

Howlingsonnets 12-07-2012 05:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knoxious (Post 548879)
Hey peeps,

Super excited to have just pulled the trigger on flights to BC for a months powder chasing in Nelson and Rossland

I'll have my wife with me who is super keen and progressing well, but is still relatively new and hasn't hit deep powder yet (neither had I until I went to Red last year to be honest!). We'll will need to kit her out with a good board, so I'm coming to you guys for some advice...

I'm looking for:
- all mountain style board that leans more to off-piste than to park (so, something that's set back a bit would be cool).
- some kind of rocker or hybrid to help her in the deep.
- fun stuff like magne-traction/frostbite?
- sintered base.
- she'll be needing bindings too so any of Burton's channel boards aren't a problem.

Any advices?

Cheers! Dave

i love my roxy ollie pop....sweet in powder but also hitting jibs and jumps....DEF recommend....its my all mountain board....if im just riding park i use my 2012 flow jewel (does well on powder but not backcountry)

Argo 12-07-2012 07:23 AM

I just got my wife a smokin snowboards - vixen. Very well built ladies board and perfect for what you want. It's a rocker camber hybrid board, they call it clash rocker. Also has magnetraction with has some great ride qualities of it's own aside from the traction on ice. The board is a mid flex board so it is still playful with lots of pop.

knoxious 12-07-2012 07:55 AM

Nice one guys (and gals!)...

Someone on TGR mentioned the Vixen so I'll look again at that. Roxy Olli pop was on the list... she liked the look of last years Roxy Envi. Not aorund this year I guess?

wrathfuldeity 12-07-2012 09:56 AM

idk since not knowing the snow and terrain conditions...but kids want to hit nelson this winter. A month in the dryer deeper stuff...perhaps more of a powder board. Riding deeper pow is all about float which is different than packed or groomed and it is a different skill set of seeing and choosing lines wisely, pointing it to maintain speed and turning wisely. You can ride a regular all mtn board in the pow with some skills but its a hell of a lot easier on a pow board with a shovel rockered nose, and cambered pin/taper tail. However being circus performers...i can only imagine...assuming having a good body mechanics and awareness...go for an advanced level board like an envi or bpro and perhaps if her weight and boot size allows go for a small mens board like a rider's choice, bsod, charlie slasher etc.

IdahoFreshies 12-07-2012 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrathfuldeity (Post 549107)
idk since not knowing the snow and terrain conditions...but kids want to hit nelson this winter. A month in the dryer deeper stuff...perhaps more of a powder board. Riding deeper pow is all about float which is different than packed or groomed and it is a different skill set of seeing and choosing lines wisely, pointing it to maintain speed and turning wisely. You can ride a regular all mtn board in the pow with some skills but its a hell of a lot easier on a pow board with a shovel rockered nose, and cambered pin/taper tail. However being circus performers...i can only imagine...assuming having a good body mechanics and awareness...go for an advanced level board like an envi or bpro and perhaps if her weight and boot size allows go for a small mens board like a rider's choice, bsod, charlie slasher etc.

Great suggestion picking up a smaller mens board.

Are you looking for strictly a pow board for this trip? Knowing what your home mountain is would help, if you want to buy a new board to use all the time, or like i said if you are just getting a board to use for the pow trip.

knoxious 12-07-2012 06:03 PM

nice one guys...

I'd not thought of a smaller mens board :blink:

The Roxy Envi was my choice of last years boards and we've found one on ebay for cheep cheep.

I ride an Arbor Abacus 159 and tend not to use groomers whenever I can! We're uk based so no home mountains to speak of (sorry Scots!) She's ridden in Austria a couple of times and came out on a trip to Tignes last year where she started to get the taste for offpiste fun.

It's going to be a steep learning curve for her so a borad ofr all occasions may make bimbling about a little more fun, but in Whitewater and Red (Nelson and Rossland) there are very few groomers worth speaking of so maybe it's worth getting her a decent specific pow board.

Keep suggestions coming... it's really appreciated!