1st time out with new board - base gouge/gash (repair experts please help) - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2012, 04:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 1st time out with new board - base gouge/gash (repair experts please help)

Hey guys. I took out my new Rossi Krypto out for the first time up to crystal yesterday. Let me first say this board is amazing and I absolutely am in love with it.

When I got home I noticed this nice gash running side to side near my heel edge. I know its not bad, but fucking shit I am kicking myself for not being careful.

Now I am just a boarder and do not know much about base tech/repairing/etc, but I have read that for little things on sintered bases you can just use P-tex... but I am not sure if that is needed here. If I pass over it tip to tail with my plastic wax scraper, I can definitely feel it get caught there.. Anyways, I wanted to ask the experts here for some help... Please... what do you guys thing/recommend I do?

Here are some pics... They are HD and quite big so you guys can see everything, so I am just putting links below so as not to have everyone load 3 fat pics everytime when entering this thread. Please let me know what you think!

1. http://i.imgur.com/by8rW.jpg
2. http://i.imgur.com/o45zX.jpg
3. http://i.imgur.com/3x553.jpg
laxinchili is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2012, 04:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Well I certainly don't think it is very serious. I had an identical mark on my board all last year and when I took it in for a full tune with base grind, they were able to make it go away. As a matter of fact, i don't think it is anything. But I am interested in what the old timers have to say.
ARSENALFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

That's nothing....literally. Don't need to P-Tex that. It's not even a core shot. That will fill in with some hot wax. Not much you can do to prevent stuff like this. It's the edges of the board you wanna worry about and prevent.
ThunderChunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

+1, wax it and deburr the edges
bseracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:04 PM   #5 (permalink)

I think that if that's the only mark on your board after a full day of riding then you sir are not riding hard enough... That's nothing, put away the microscope and ride the shit out of it.
TorpedoVegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:49 PM   #6 (permalink)

Don't listen to these idiots mate, that board is completely fucked... unrideable.

I'll give you 100 bucks for it.
Richie67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Not really worth reporting to be honest, it wont affect the boards integrity or performance. But i understand the first scratch hurts buuuuut you will get over it as there are a lot more to come!
Old 12-10-2012, 02:04 AM   #8 (permalink)

thanks for the replies. Clearly I was over reacting over such a tiny scratch... heh...

like I was saying, when I go over the area with my scrapper from tip to tail it gets caught there... some of the stuff is sticking up slightly... since the gash is side to side, this only happens when something brushes front to tail...

how can I make this area flat and smooth like it used to be? do I need to go over it carefully with a metal scrapper?
laxinchili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:26 AM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

could probably use a really sharp razor to just clean up the burrs, obviously just be careful. I have done this exact thing and taking your time it should be all good