Need help picking new snowboard - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2012, 03:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Need help picking new snowboard

Hi there,
I've been riding for about 8 months now. Despite the fact that this is ofcourse a very short time, I consider myself an advanced snowboarder. Over those 8 months, I've been snowboarding for atleast 12 hours every week. I can do long carves at high speed, can do 50/50's on rails, boardslides on boxes, basic airs with some grabs off of big kickers, I think you get the idea by now. I spend about 98,2% of my snowboarding time in the park.

I live in the Netherlands, which is one of the flattest countries in the world. The only place I can go snowboarding is a snowdome, except for 1 week of vacation to Austria every year. This snowdome has a variety of park features, but it's pretty small, which makes it hard to gain enough speed for the larger kickers. It also has a very annoying lift that has torn the edges of my current board (Burton Hero 11/12) to pieces in less than 7 months. So I'm looking for a poppy and durable board to provide enough pop for those kickers and to survive those annoying lifts. I also like to do a lot of jibbing, so a soft flex is appreciated as well.

Some boards I've been looking into:

Burton Whammy Bar
Seems like a very solid pick, very soft flex, not too expensive, and everyone who has ridden it loves it. The only points I'm afraid of is that a board that soft will not deliver the explosive pop I need for those large kickers I described above, and I don't like limiting myself to only Burton bindings.

Bataleon Global Warmer
Bit more expensive than the Whammy Bar, but it seems like a very durable board with a good combination of pop and flex.

K2 Fastplant
More expensive than the other 3, but about this one I can atleast be 100% sure that it's durable enough, it also seems veryvery poppy, but I don't know if it's flexy enough, haven't been able to find any good flex tests.

Capita Ultrafear Scott Stevens Pro
Decent price, positive reviews, my favourite rider's board, I like exclusive stuff, but it's only in 153cm, which may be a bit small for me (I'm 6'1, 145lbs, and I'm 16 so still growing)

Those are the boards I've been looking into. Which of these 4 would be the best for me (or maybe a board that's not in this list?).

Thank you for your time,
Zypher

P.S. I'm sorry for my bad English. I'm not drunk, I'm Dutch.

Last edited by Zypher; 12-09-2012 at 03:44 PM.
Zypher is offline   Reply With Quote