GNU vs NEVER SUMMER vs LIBTECH - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2012, 11:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default GNU vs NEVER SUMMER vs LIBTECH

Hey guys,

I am looking for a board for a girlfriend of mine. She is 5'9" weighing 140lbs and a shoe size of 9 or 10 I believe. We were out shopping all day today trying to find her a new board. Her current setup is an old K2 board from about 6 years ago. It is a 154 length.
She likes riding in tight trees, powder, playing on steeps with the very rare groomer. There has been no park riding, but she mentioned she would like to learn how to do a few jumps. Below are the boards we were looking at as well as the corresponding sizes.

We have it between a few boards:
1) GNU BPRO - 155
2) Never Summer Lotus - 154
3) Never Summer Infinity - 154
4) Lib Tech TRS - 154

I personally just bought a LibTech T.Rice Pro HP 157 so I am leaning towards the GNU or LIB Tech however I would love to get everyones advice. Thanks!
pamantea is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2012, 11:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

completely different boards. Lotus is super stiff, along with the B-pro. Infinity is on the softer side. She could down size a little bit too to the 151-153 range
StreetDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:36 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetDoc View Post
completely different boards. Lotus is super stiff, along with the B-pro. Infinity is on the softer side. She could down size a little bit too to the 151-153 range
She was mentioning she wants a shorter board but given her height what would be a good size?

What are the benefits of the stiffer Lotus or BPro vs the softer Infinity?
What about the Libtech?
Old 12-10-2012, 01:08 AM   #4 (permalink)

The board does not know or care what height you are only weight.

She can ride a smaller board with the new tech (mtx (lib & gnu), viao grip -sp (never summer) and shape (hybrid camber- rocker camber) and still have the stability / float.

I'm guessing her old board was camber.

All the boards are good, but she shall downsize.

The NS lotus is stiff and more toward freeride. cross that out.
The libtech TRS is an extruded base cross that out ( i don't like that)

That leave the GNU b-PRO and NS Infinity.

My gf has a GNU B-pro 152 10-11 that she you for 1 season. Very good shape and condition. LA area 250$ if interested. pm for more info
24WERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:13 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamantea View Post
She was mentioning she wants a shorter board but given her height what would be a good size?

What are the benefits of the stiffer Lotus or BPro vs the softer Infinity?
What about the Libtech?
Just go down to next available size.

Its weight not height. She needs to be able to flex the board to control it.

The Lotus has better dampening system then BPRO and infinity, but stiffer to absorb crud and bumps.

The bpro and infinity you will feel more and easier to control the board.

The edge tech the GNU and LIB are better then Viao grip (sp)
24WERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:00 AM   #6 (permalink)
Resident poet

The bpro and infinity are two different boards; infinity is a noodle compared to bpro and is more for an intermediate leisure weekend gal. Bpro is an excellent all around board and your gf sounds like she is fairly aggressive...go with the 155 or the next size down. Another idea, Gnu rider choice is very similar to the bpro.
Old 12-10-2012, 02:20 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24WERD View Post
Just go down to next available size.

Its weight not height. She needs to be able to flex the board to control it.

The Lotus has better dampening system then BPRO and infinity, but stiffer to absorb crud and bumps.

The bpro and infinity you will feel more and easier to control the board.

The edge tech the GNU and LIB are better then Viao grip (sp)

What do you mean by better dampening system for the Lotus? She wants to be able to rip through anything and is now leaning towards the GNU Bpro 152?

What is the difference between freeride and aggressive riding?
Old 12-10-2012, 03:06 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamantea View Post
What do you mean by better dampening system for the Lotus? She wants to be able to rip through anything and is now leaning towards the GNU Bpro 152?

What is the difference between freeride and aggressive riding?
The Lotus is really damp and will ride smooth over all sorts of crud. Also, it's NOT a s super stiff board. Who ever said that probably hasn't ridden the damn thing. It's got a 4 rating on the NS site and I found it to be not super stiff. Especially not when compared to the Bpro.

I demoed both the Lotus and the B Pro. IIRC the B Pro is a true twin with a centered stance and the Lotus is slightly set back and directional twin. This also changes year to year with model so check the stats!

After riding a few different boards I realized I did not want a true twin, but a directional twin. The tail is stiffer and the stance is a 1/2" set back. But that is something that I think everyone probably needs to figure out on their own.

I didn't like the B Pro and couldn't get my stance right,. It was a deep pow day and I stopped three times to adjust my bindings and got really fucking pissed I was missing ride time and almost tossed the board over the side of the mountain...ahem.......After reading Wraths praise of the board (and the fact the new model has unicorns) I'd like to give it another shot.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:15 PM   #9 (permalink)

The Infinity is a great all around board. I have one. It's good in all conditions. I'd say it's lively. I got the Roxy envi last year instead of the Lotus which I've also ridden. The envi has more flex between the bindings. Also a smooth ride like the Lotus. I see Roxy has the Eminence which I haven't tried but has the same rocker camber as the NS. C2BTX they call it.
sb60 is offline   Reply With Quote