Absolute newb, rent? Or buy board? - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2012, 05:35 PM   #11 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

i mean it really depends on what you want. if you just want like an in between freestyle board then it just look into some of your options and go for something that is somewhat flexible but not a super noodle.

honestly, a softer board might be decent for you because it will be more forgiving.

best bet is to figure out the size that you need first. then go from there.

if you think that you might progress quickly then maybe Wrath's idea of doing a seasonal rent would be a good call... again it's up to you.

FacePlant4Free is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2012, 05:40 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FacePlant4Free View Post
i mean it really depends on what you want. if you just want like an in between freestyle board then it just look into some of your options and go for something that is somewhat flexible but not a super noodle.

honestly, a softer board might be decent for you because it will be more forgiving.

best bet is to figure out the size that you need first. then go from there.

if you think that you might progress quickly then maybe Wrath's idea of doing a seasonal rent would be a good call... again it's up to you.
Whats a seasonal rent?
tony477g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:57 AM   #13 (permalink)

Should i just buy good bindings and a board that i find on sale? That way I can put the bindings on a better board once the time comes?
Old 12-11-2012, 09:02 AM   #14 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony477g View Post
Whats a seasonal rent?
as opposed to renting for like 40$ every time you go to the mountain, you can usually find a local shop that does seasonal gear rentals. usually it costs you around 150$ and you can rent a setup for the whole season. this means board bindings and boots. this gear is typically a lot nicer than the crap rental gear you get on the mountain.

look for coupons and you can sometimes get your rental for like $100

o and as far as bindings go, you might as well just wait and figure out what you like and dont like. this way you dont go buying softer bindings and then realize later that you want a stiffer set and oops youve already dropped 200$.

FacePlant4Free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:14 AM   #15 (permalink)

Ill ask the local shops if they have seasonal rentals.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:12 PM   #16 (permalink)

This is what they told me, sounds pretty good? or should i just buy that board and sell it at the end of the season? Its $200 to rent "You would keep the board for the season and bring it back at the end. The board is an Arbor System Rental board which is the same board as the Arbor Formula but with a really plain graphic. The bindings are either Flux P15 Bindings or Burton Freestyles. We have a lot of different boots from 32, Burton, Ride, and DC. Questions are always welcome now worries. Hopefully this helps."
Old 12-12-2012, 11:47 PM   #17 (permalink)

So ive been thinking about it and renting is just looking less and less likely. $200 is quite a bit of money to spend on something that I'm just going to give back. Plus if i break something they'll probably charge me to fix it. In reality money isnt a problem for me, I have about 2500 dollars to spend. I'd rather not spend 1000 on a board just yet until i know what i really want it for, but i do want to buy a really good board and bindings and be able to use it for a while.

Heres the resort i will be snowboarding at Brian Head | Welcome to Brian Head Resort, Southern Utah's BEST place to play

I want a board that will help me get down the hill, park and stuff like that will come later on so I'm not too worried about a board that will be able to do that. So would i be looking at an all mountain board, or something else? whats the difference between freestyle and freeride?
Old 12-13-2012, 04:02 AM   #18 (permalink)
Resident poet

OMG how can they open with this snow report

Snow Report24 Hr Snowfall: 0″ 48 Hr Snowfall: 0″ 72 Hr Snowfall: 0″
Base depth: 18″ Year to Date Snowfall: 25″

May I humbely suggest buying a cheap used rock board...you don't want to rip up a 5-6 bill board.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:30 AM   #19 (permalink)

Look on Ebay for a board/binding setup....my 1st board was a Burton Indie I got off eBay for like 150 with bindings and boots and is still in decent shape 6-7 years later as my rock board. Dont get boots online like I did though, go to the shop and try on every pair of boots and buy the one that fits the best, regardless of price.

Granted if I were just getting into snowboarding now, reverse camber/hybrid camber would be my pick. It will save you some edge catches and make learning not quite as painful....then again if you wanna build your character you can learn like the rest of us did on plain ol camber and not being able to move the next day
Skinny Bam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:10 AM   #20 (permalink)

What does the snow report mean? So to make things a bit easier buy a reverse camber/hybrid. Ya I mean I've gone once and used the cheap rental they gave me, the only parts of my body I couldnt move the next day were my arms and sitting on my tailbone was killer!