Absolute newb, rent? Or buy board? - Page 3 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2012, 08:31 AM   #21 (permalink)

I would not spend over 400 for a beginner board. And before you worry about advanced tech I would go for an all mountain type of board because you need to get the basics of riding down before you even think of hitting the park.

This is a good website for discounted gear. http://www.the-house.com/snbd.html

As others have said boots are the most important.

I hate rental boards but unless you are sure that snowboarding is something that you will do on a regular basis every season then you should rent in the beginning.
luna is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2012, 08:33 AM   #22 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by poutanen View Post
A lot of places will have a deal on lift ticket, lessons, and rentals for not much more than the price of a lift ticket. Go that way for a few days at least and then make a decision.

You really are best off buying something used for $200 or so as a first board. After the first season resell it for nearly what you bought it for, and then buy yourself something fancier.

I know too many people that bought a Lib Tech T.Rice Pro as their first board. Without ever really being on the snow...
If you don't want to rent a board then go craigslist, get something cheap and flip it later.
Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:39 AM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony477g View Post
Ive only gone snowboarding once and wasn't very good. This year though i plan on taking a lesson to get the basics down quicker. I could get down the hill i just couldnt turn I was also on a black diamond, Imagine that. Anyway I have three options with the board. Rent which would be $35 everytime i go. Buy a cheaper board considering im new, but i'd have to have it for a while and in the long run it'll probably just sit there. Or just go out and buy a board $350 and up and have that one for a very long time. I already have boots I just need the board and bindings.
You can def buy a beginner board thats on sale from last season or season before....

The house snowboards
Evo
Proboardshop

When i began i bought a board from previous season off of a local seller on ebay: snowdealsnow.com and spent $200

Most snowboard places listed give u discount lift coupons from liftopia....

If u plan on going a bunch of times add up ur rental fees and see how much it would be and if it equals a board n bindings then go buy them instead!!! Boots are the most important tho!

But def lessons....

I never took lessons but i was good w polymetrics and balance and aerobics bc of playin soccer for the last 20yrs and inline aggressive skating for 5.....

I wish i took a lesson or two to brush up basics instead of trial by error but thats what youtube is for now (yes i watch videos on HOW TO to get techniques down and practice in my house w jumping and balance!!!)
Howlingsonnets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:29 PM   #24 (permalink)

snowboard community forums - Ippy's Snowboard Buying Guide - Page 1

Says here not to get an all mountain board, not made for beginners?

I found this site with boards they tested Snowboard Reviews | Good Wood Board Test 2012-2013 | TransWorld SNOWboarding but would i be setting myself up for failure buying a intermediate to advanced board?
tony477g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:40 PM   #25 (permalink)

Try this. There's a dude selling a Rome Garage Rocker and Union Flite bindings on this forum for $200 shipped. That's a great deal to me and the gear will be good for you for a couple seasons at least I'd say! Check it out and see what you think about it. Here's the link:

http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ker-156-a.html
Rookie09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:53 PM   #26 (permalink)

Problem there is the size is 156 the board would be taller than me
tony477g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:58 PM   #27 (permalink)

Sport chalet has carbon credits on sale for like 230
jml22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:18 PM   #28 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by luna View Post
I would not spend over 400 for a beginner board.

This is a good website for discounted gear. On Sale Snowboards 40% Off Free Shipping

Uhhhh $400 beginner board... where? Don't think you will find too many $400 beginner boards out there.

also, the house isnt a good discounted gear site. departmentofgoods.com is ok but really it's just the House's super leftover shit and they really don't even have a ton right now.

seriously, just get a decent used in between - park/all mountain - board. You don't want super flexy and you def don't want super stiff to learn on.

Oh and please don't buy Burton Freestyles. I can't think of a shittier binding. serious junk.

How much do you weigh and what size boots?

Last edited by FacePlant4Free; 12-13-2012 at 02:22 PM.
FacePlant4Free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:30 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony477g View Post
snowboard community forums - Ippy's Snowboard Buying Guide - Page 1

Says here not to get an all mountain board, not made for beginners?

I found this site with boards they tested Snowboard Reviews | Good Wood Board Test 2012-2013 | TransWorld SNOWboarding but would i be setting myself up for failure buying a intermediate to advanced board?
An all mountain board would provide u w more stability to get ur turning down w balance and precision IMO...whats ur hght/wght?

No need to buy a 2013 $400 board...buy urself a last season or two season ago board...or even a lightly used board....its already broken in....

My first board was an all mountain now i have a park and an all mountain board
Old 12-13-2012, 02:31 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FacePlant4Free View Post
Uhhhh $400 beginner board... where? Don't think you will find too many $400 beginner boards out there.

also, the house isnt a good discounted gear site. departmentofgoods.com is ok but really it's just the House's super leftover shit and they really don't even have a ton right now.

seriously, just get a decent used in between - park/all mountain - board. You don't want super flexy and you def don't want super stiff to learn on.

Oh and please don't buy Burton Freestyles. I can't think of a shittier binding. serious junk.

How much do you weigh and what size boots?
Yea agreed too much can set you up for too much time IN the snow than playing on it!