Absolute newb, rent? Or buy board? - Page 5 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2012, 05:43 PM   #41 (permalink)

Personally, I think women riding mens boards is different than men riding womens boards. Maybe I'm off-base here but that's my gut feeling.

And a girl weighing 125 lbs is no different than a guy weighing 125 lbs. It's just that I'm assuming he will probably grow a lot more and quicker than a girl would. But if the board is only going to be used for about a season while he progresses, it would be fine. A kids board might work but don't they only go up to like 140 cm? that seems pretty small.
Rookie09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2012, 05:53 PM   #42 (permalink)

If you want a womans board I have a burton 146 lol but its crazy old from like 2003...
luna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:57 PM   #43 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony477g View Post
Reason why I want to go 2013 is because I'd rather shop local. Gives some business to the local shop and can actually see the product in hand, whether they have older stuff is up to the business. I'd rather go in having some idea of boards I want to see rather then ask the rep what board he thinks I should get
I gotcha...totally understand plus i have a feeling once u get the hang of it your board will be a great investment BUT make sure its one you can have for awhile if ur not done growing! Hahahah

I suggest a 146-149....but thats for ur stats now

Go on frostyrider.com and put all ur info in and it will give u all the boards suited for u....therefore you have the recomended size w an option of goin down one or up one....but def go on there....
Howlingsonnets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:58 PM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by luna View Post
If you want a womans board I have a burton 146 lol but its crazy old from like 2003...
Back then our boards had like NO GRAPHICS on them hahahhahah
Howlingsonnets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:07 PM   #45 (permalink)

When I was starting I bought a Rossi District; crappy board to learn on but I felt I was committed to learn how to ride since I shelled out the cash.

I'm glad I bought a board and not rented since it made me go out more and use it. The only regret I had was my choice in the board I picked, so shop around. Lots of cheap boards for sale, no need to spend too much one your just learning on. After learning to ride you can decide what kind of riding that you want to do, and buy an appropriate board.
NorthCoastRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:23 PM   #46 (permalink)

You already have boots and that is by far the most important equipment to own yourself. Improperly fitted and/or worn out rentals are very painful on the feet and will take away some enjoyment on what will already be some difficult learning days. I have always recommended you rent the remaining equipment until you have gone a couple times. You do not know yet if you will even like snowboarding, you do not know what type of riding you will enjoy doing, so in effect buying equipment now is buying blind. If you do choose to buy first, buy a used board and bindings or something new from a couple seasons ago. You will most likely want something different next season so dont spend too much money. I also feel that a hybrid/rocker design is best for a beginner as you will spend much less time catching your edge and taking flight.

I would venture to say that its far more important that you have proper clothing than anything else. Staying warm and dry on the mountain is absolutely vital to your enjoyment. You MUST have waterproof pants, jacket, gloves, goggles, thermals, warm socks, face mask or scarf, etc. I have ruined far more days from getting too wet or cold than from improper board and bindings. When I started skiing in the early nineties I wore jeans with schotchgaurd spray and a regular jacket and i could never finish the afternoon. ;-)

The most important thing is that you go out and have fun, never give up, and never look back. Good luck!

Last edited by ThirdManWalking; 12-13-2012 at 06:28 PM.
ThirdManWalking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:33 PM   #47 (permalink)

I wish i had a buttpad for the first 4 times i went
Had some zingers shoot from my coccyx to my head those hurt.
jml22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:06 PM   #48 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jml22 View Post
I wish i had a buttpad for the first 4 times i went
Had some zingers shoot from my coccyx to my head those hurt.
Took me 10 minutes to get off the couch first time I went lol swore I had whip lash.....self taught...lol
Old 12-13-2012, 07:10 PM   #49 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howlingsonnets View Post
Back then our boards had like NO GRAPHICS on them hahahhahah
I wish the new ones had less graphics on them! Lol I got a gnu 2 years ago and love it except for the graphics.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:11 PM   #50 (permalink)

I actually think full protective gear speeds up the learning curve, because you're not as afraid to fall. When you catch and edge it's just like meh, instead of OMG that hurts like hell i can't get up.
I'm talking knee, butt elbow pads wrist guard helmet.
jml22 is offline   Reply With Quote