Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Absolute newb, rent? Or buy board? (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/52110-absolute-newb-rent-buy-board.html)

tony477g 12-10-2012 08:06 AM

Absolute newb, rent? Or buy board?

Ive only gone snowboarding once and wasn't very good. This year though i plan on taking a lesson to get the basics down quicker. I could get down the hill i just couldnt turn :dizzy: I was also on a black diamond, Imagine that. Anyway I have three options with the board. Rent which would be $35 everytime i go. Buy a cheaper board considering im new, but i'd have to have it for a while and in the long run it'll probably just sit there. Or just go out and buy a board $350 and up and have that one for a very long time. I already have boots I just need the board and bindings.

chomps1211 12-10-2012 08:18 AM

The "Vet's" here will no doubt tell you this with better detail & reasoning than I can, but rent a board or buy? The Very First thing you should be shelling out money for is boots!!!!

You can get by just fine on a rental board for a while, but good fitting boots will make ALL the difference in comfort and ability to stay strapped in & on the hill for longer periods. Which will also help with skills progression. Rental boots typically SUCK! It's hard to focus on what you're learning and applying good technique when your feet are "Killing You"!

Jm2c!

Lamps 12-10-2012 08:29 AM

Lessons now on rented board is a good way to go, no rush to get the board

chomps1211 12-10-2012 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tony477g (Post 550061)
Ive only gone snowboarding once and wasn't very good. This year though i plan on taking a lesson to get the basics down quicker. I could get down the hill i just couldnt turn :dizzy:

I already have boots I just need the board and bindings.

Fuck!! Next time maybe I should read the whole post a little more carefully, eh? DUHHH!!! (...need a really good "Dumb Ass" smiley here!!)

I did get the part about you planning to take a lesson, which is why I didn't mention it, but Lamps is absolutely correct,.. Money spent on lessons is your best investment in the beginning!!! Pays tons in dividends!

poutanen 12-10-2012 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tony477g (Post 550061)
Ive only gone snowboarding once and wasn't very good. This year though i plan on taking a lesson to get the basics down quicker. I could get down the hill i just couldnt turn :dizzy: I was also on a black diamond, Imagine that. Anyway I have three options with the board. Rent which would be $35 everytime i go. Buy a cheaper board considering im new, but i'd have to have it for a while and in the long run it'll probably just sit there. Or just go out and buy a board $350 and up and have that one for a very long time. I already have boots I just need the board and bindings.

A lot of places will have a deal on lift ticket, lessons, and rentals for not much more than the price of a lift ticket. Go that way for a few days at least and then make a decision.

You really are best off buying something used for $200 or so as a first board. After the first season resell it for nearly what you bought it for, and then buy yourself something fancier.

I know too many people that bought a Lib Tech T.Rice Pro as their first board. Without ever really being on the snow... :dunno:

FacePlant4Free 12-10-2012 09:12 AM

you could definitely get a used setup that is a few years old and wont run you much more than the price of a few rentals.

I was just at my local shop over the weekend and they had some used beginner setups for like 75$. find a shop that does gear swaps and you will def be able to find something as good as if not better than a rental setup.

edit: or you could just browse ur local craigslist for snowboarding gear. maybe you will luck out and get one of those moms cleaning out the house who puts up "nice snowboard for sale. there's a weird eagle painted on it - $100." that is if TimmyTard hasn't already jacked it. Search for his thread. he posts good deals he finds on craig's list.

case and point -
http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/spo/3467409003.html
http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/spo/3412600523.html

wrathfuldeity 12-10-2012 11:41 AM

Another option is a seasonal lease

There's nothing wrong about buying a high end board....it will kick your ass, take you for a ride and perhaps end up with some medical bills....but if you stay with it perhaps you'll be a better rider for it.

I recommend a used twin intermediate/advanced board...so you can learn switch while ur learning. Then it can be your rock, loaner, backup, or give away for stokage points board,

chomps1211 12-10-2012 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrathfuldeity (Post 550116)
...I recommend a used twin intermediate/advanced board...so you can learn switch while ur learning. Then it can be your rock, loaner, backup, or give away for stokage points board,

:thumbsup::thumbsup: I like that idea!! A little "Snow Karma"!!!

tony477g 12-10-2012 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poutanen (Post 550071)
A lot of places will have a deal on lift ticket, lessons, and rentals for not much more than the price of a lift ticket. Go that way for a few days at least and then make a decision.

You really are best off buying something used for $200 or so as a first board. After the first season resell it for nearly what you bought it for, and then buy yourself something fancier.

I know too many people that bought a Lib Tech T.Rice Pro as their first board. Without ever really being on the snow... :dunno:

Ya i looked up prices, its about 50 dollars more than just the lift ticket for lesson, lift ticket and rental. lift tickets 45, 90 for everything. Thats a group lesson though, not sure if i want to take that route though.

tony477g 12-10-2012 04:25 PM

My problem with buying used is that I'm not sure what to look for in a board to see if its good. each time I go those $35 will make a nice dent in my wallet after going a few times. Im also really short at 5'5'' and 125 lbs most everything for sale on craigslist is a 150 plus. Which the guy helping me buy stuff at a local shop told me not to get anything bigger than 150.