Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   New Member, First Board Purchase Help! (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/52116-new-member-first-board-purchase-help.html)

texassnow24 12-10-2012 12:56 PM

New Member, First Board Purchase Help!

Hoping you experts can help! I am in the process of looking for my first purchased board and bindings.

Some background...

Skill Level: Beginner- Int.
Type of Rider: Mostly on the groomed trails, however, am looking for a board that I can take to the next level and do a little park/jumps.
Height: 5'10"
Weight:160lb

I am practically a newbie to snowboarding compared to the group on here. I have only ever rented boards, matter of fact I believe it has always been a Burton Cruzer. I am tired of renting, and now would like to purchase a package that would last me fairly long. When I first started, I picked up the sport quickly (maybe because I grew up surfing/skating/wakeboarding) and was cruising just as fast as my crew on the blues within a few hours. With that said, I feel fairly comfortable with getting a better board and investing a little money. I am looking for a board that will do it all. As I mentioned above, I am mostly on the trails, but eventually I would like to try some parks. Even so, I imagine I will always be free-riding the mountains for the most part.

I have already purchased Burton Moto 2012 for my boots. When I went to the local Sun and Ski, the guy recommended the Ride Machete and the K2 Raygun. I am not sure if he recommended these because of certain incentives, but his reasoning seemed fair.

My question for ya'll is whether you agree with the above, and why (based on my level, growth rate, and prior board use), or if you have other recommendations for a board?

I would also like recommendations on the bindings, but I am most torn on picking a board.

Thanks in advance!

:bowdown:

wrathfuldeity 12-10-2012 01:09 PM

the machete or a dirty sanchez....just cause ur a texan and have no business being on the snow.

welcome btw.

that1guy 12-10-2012 01:33 PM

Welcome to the board!

Can you tell us where you will be riding? Since you are from Texas, I am going to assume that you will be traveling up to Colorado or New Mexico? If we know the conditions you will face it will help us help you.

texassnow24 12-10-2012 01:36 PM

Correct, I will be mostly in Colorado, NM.

Any advice?

texassnow24 12-11-2012 02:49 PM

Looking to buy in the next couple days... Any advice from anyone? I am leaning towards the K2 Raygun 159.

jbucks 12-11-2012 09:34 PM

Not sure if you have a store like this in texas but up here in RI we have a store that sells used boards, I got my first board there it was a used k2 fuse with new bindings and i got a sweet deal on it, but if youre just tryin to get into the sport dont spend a lot... on the other hand the k2 raygun is cheaper but i like ride , if you want to spend the money get the machete ive heard there bullet proof for bindings i would go with something from union cant beat those bindings i have the forces and i absolutely love them i rock nike vapen boots with them and there on my ride crush.

Reminiscent 12-11-2012 09:54 PM

Almost any board you get will suffice for your needs. Just nothing from DC, Worldwide industries or anything like that. If looking for a specific model, I suggest the Never Summer Proto CT.

BurtonAvenger 12-11-2012 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reminiscent (Post 550899)
Almost any board you get will suffice for your needs. Just nothing from DC, Worldwide industries or anything like that. If looking for a specific model, I suggest the Never Summer Proto CT.

Don't ever post again asshole.

snowklinger 12-11-2012 11:02 PM

Those are both great boards you have picked out. Because of your skill level there is just no point stressing any further. After some experience you will know alot better what you are looking for.

texassnow24 12-12-2012 09:43 AM

Thanks everyone for the advice! I think I may go with the Raygun, plus if I get the 2012 model, I can save some extra cash! Too bad we do not have the opp. to demo boards down here in Texas.