Getting One Magtek, need some advice... - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2012, 02:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Getting One Magtek, need some advice...

So I've decided to get a Rossignol One Magtek, and I could really use some expert advice before I plunk down $600. First of all, I'm 5'10, but only 125lbs, so none of the size charts online are very helpful. I can choose either a 153 or 156cm model. As for my riding style, I fit into the advanced category, and I mostly do blacks out here in Colorado. I don't do any park stuff - I just like to go fast. So my first question is, which size?

Second, what bindings and boots would go well with it? I know very little about what my options are, and what would be compatible. My current setup, in case anyone wants to know, is a Burton Clash 150/Freestyle bindings/Freestyle boots (I've had it for probably 8 years, and I only just moved to CO, so cut me some slack!). Incidentally, how strongly would people recommend that I get new boots? I'm very satisfied with my current ones, but I don't know whether they'll diminish the quality of my new ride...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
pyite is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2012, 03:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyite View Post
....they'll diminish the quality of my new ride...
exactly this...
freestyles are your bare bones gear. doesnt need to be burton... you could hop on the rossi expeirience's or even the cudas.

will yours work... yeah. is there something better... yeah. buts its $.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:21 PM   #3 (permalink)

If bombing the hill is your thing, 156. I ride a similar style, 6' 195 lbs on the same deck - 159 and love it

Give it a nice wax and you will find it fast and stable. It rides well switch, toss at it what you may and it keeps coming back for more. Enjoy
Oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:49 PM   #4 (permalink)

It is, thanks. What bindings and boots are you set up with, since we're into the same kind of riding?
Old 12-10-2012, 06:14 PM   #5 (permalink)

If you don't do park checkout the rossi krypto... I got one this year and rode it first time this weekend... In love with it...
laxinchili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:09 PM   #6 (permalink)

I have an older pair of Burton Tributes ( which I hope to replace sooner than later ) and 2011 Flow NXT - AT's on my Rossi

I am a big Flow fan as I also have a pair of 2013 NX2-AT's on a Lib Tech Lando.

The new NX2's are stiff, solid and responsive. They are great for charging the mountain. If I was shopping, they get screwed to the Rossi in a heartbeat.
Oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:25 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by laxinchili View Post
If you don't do park checkout the rossi krypto... I got one this year and rode it first time this weekend... In love with it...
I just looked up the Krypto and now I might be leaning toward that, since it seems more focused on freeriding (nice suggestion!). What kind of runs did you ride it on over the weekend, and how did it perform? (obviously favorably)

BTW what bindings and boots do you have

I did a little research and came up with Burton Cartel + Burton Rulers. Thoughts, anyone?
Old 12-10-2012, 07:30 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldman View Post
I have an older pair of Burton Tributes ( which I hope to replace sooner than later ) and 2011 Flow NXT - AT's on my Rossi

I am a big Flow fan as I also have a pair of 2013 NX2-AT's on a Lib Tech Lando.

The new NX2's are stiff, solid and responsive. They are great for charging the mountain. If I was shopping, they get screwed to the Rossi in a heartbeat.
Hmmm, I recall having seen positive comments about those before. I'll definitely look into them too. Thanks!
Old 12-10-2012, 10:10 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyite View Post
I just looked up the Krypto and now I might be leaning toward that, since it seems more focused on freeriding (nice suggestion!). What kind of runs did you ride it on over the weekend, and how did it perform? (obviously favorably)

BTW what bindings and boots do you have

I did a little research and came up with Burton Cartel + Burton Rulers. Thoughts, anyone?

I got a whole new set up this year.
I got Salomon F22 boots - Copped some from last year (wanted all black) for $150... down from $280!
Amazing amazing amazing... coming from Burton Rulers this was a huge step up. I never realized my old boots were cutting blood flow to my toes!! I can make this as tight as my strength allows me to pull the quick lace system and remain in total comfort. It stays put the rest of the day too. I wear 11.5 boots and the -1 size footbed keeps me on a normal Krypto at 252mm waist width (I was considering the MW if I got other boots).

Flow NX2-AT: Before my hiatus from snowboarding, I was about to make the jump to Flows. I got some Salomon SPX Pros instead, and I was very happy with them. However I have decided to steer more towards freeride exclusively, and wanted something stiffer. The NX2-ATs seemed perfect.
It took me literally 3-4 runs to get them dialed in and then I did not worry about them again.
The rear entry system is a very nice luxury. I am the only boarder in my group and just making my ski buddies wait for 1 minute to strap makes me feel... eh... like an old man being waited on. These are in instantly as I get up from the lift and I'm down the hill.
Comfort was perfect.... all day. Bindings are a great match with the boots. Compared to my old Burton Rulers + Salomon SPX Pros, this is a HUGE step up.

Now for the Board:
I am coming from an 05 Rossi RS - a stiff all mountain cambered deck. I loved this thing and still do, but I wanted to sample some of the technology that has emerged in the past couple years.
The Krypto has camrock (all mountain amptek) and magne traction. It took me a little bit to get used to how grippy the edges are with the latter. The first time I just totally thrown into my to edge was surprising.

The camrock is awesome. I went up to crystal mt where they had some fresh pow all week (though not as much as steven's). This thing floats just so much more effortlessly than my 161 RS with the rocker tips... It allowed me to go harder in steep and deep terrain than I normally would. The rocker tips also made this 163 board feel way smaller than my old 161.

Overall, I am very very happy with the board. If I ever become good enough... and worthy enough... in the coming years, I might upgrade to a Rossi Experience. We shall see.

Check out this review!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sf6tRv5CKFs

and my setup!!!:

Last edited by laxinchili; 12-10-2012 at 10:19 PM.
laxinchili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:07 PM   #10 (permalink)

sick setup andgood color scheme!!
Weipim is offline   Reply With Quote