Base for a pow board. - Page 3 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2012, 05:23 PM   #21 (permalink)
ETM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra View Post
I can't remember exactly, but look on the Jones site, it says the surface area of the 56 is the same as a 172 or something.
That cant be true unless the hovercraft is much wider, its simply physics. Lets assume that the board is a rectangle just to make the math easy.
The 172cm board is 30cm wide = 516cm2
if the 156 was 30cm wide it would be 468cm2, for the 156 to have as much surface area it would need to be 33.1cm wide.

It does not matter how you look at it the only way you can have increased surface area is by increasing width. There is no magic bullet here.

You can have a longer effective edge by simply taking a 172 and chopping the tail off it, the edge length has not changed although the over all length has but you have still lost surface area unless you regain it with width.
ETM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2012, 06:05 PM   #22 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETM View Post
That cant be true unless the hovercraft is much wider, its simply physics.
The hovercraft is much wider (also has no scoop in the tail so the more of the surface is actually touching the snow... instead of being upturned away from the snow).
lonerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:14 PM   #23 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETM View Post
That cant be true unless the hovercraft is much wider, its simply physics. Lets assume that the board is a rectangle just to make the math easy.
The 172cm board is 30cm wide = 516cm2
if the 156 was 30cm wide it would be 468cm2, for the 156 to have as much surface area it would need to be 33.1cm wide.

It does not matter how you look at it the only way you can have increased surface area is by increasing width. There is no magic bullet here.

You can have a longer effective edge by simply taking a 172 and chopping the tail off it, the edge length has not changed although the over all length has but you have still lost surface area unless you regain it with width.
It's not on the site anymore. This is the only thing I found:

but whatever, you like long boards with swallowtails. Other people like shorter boards. rocker, taper, length, swallowtails...it's all good, they all float.

btw Terje was riding his 59 Cheetah the other day in the Nozawa Onsen trees
Supra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:16 PM   #24 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
It's not on the site anymore. This is the only thing I found:

but whatever, you like long boards with swallowtails. Other people like shorter boards. rocker, taper, length, swallowtails...it's all good, they all float.

btw Terje was riding his 59 Cheetah the other day in the Nozawa Onsen trees
Concluding this, what would you recomend for me. Camel toe or Hovercraft? Pow use only, dry light pow and cold temps. There are some flats but i usually haul ass.
blunted_nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:31 PM   #25 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
don't worry, you'll have way more float than you need with a 160. I bet the 156 would work for you too, if you wanted. I had both the 160 and 156 at my house last month and I felt if I was buying one I'd get the 56 for sure. The nose is so damn long! I can't remember exactly, but look on the Jones site, it says the surface area of the 56 is the same as a 172 or something.
I'd say the 56 floats as much as a 160 fish, yet it also rides like a regular board. It sounds like the perfect split. I might try one later in the season. My buddy, who rode 162 t6's and 64 custom x's got the 56, but he finds it too big and has ordered the 52.

Then again, you'll be totally fine with the camel toe's base.

You're overthinking this. Just go with the one that stokes you out the most. Both will kill it in the pow.
there's your answer, for the second time (from me)
Old 12-11-2012, 10:58 PM   #26 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
there's your answer, for the second time (from me)
That tells me that Camel toe wouldnt be bad... As i am looking into camel toe, do you see any obvious advantage for hovercraft? Ether 158 camel or 156 hovy. Cant decide. probably camel toe. Wish they made it sintered. I know pow board will give me enough float wthout going to size 180, im just scared the camel will be way slower them hovy, ehhhh. Stop thinking my mind......
Old 12-11-2012, 11:02 PM   #27 (permalink)
Veteran Member

In blower pow (cold and dry) you don't have much friction. Stayin on top and planing will have a much larger effect than extruded vs. sintered. And on top of that an extruded base with a good structure will be faster than sintered with no structure. So there's that too.

Camel Toe if you want surfy edge to edge. Hovercraft if you want faster stability.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:12 PM   #28 (permalink)
Veteran Member

hopefully this should end this thread
Old 12-11-2012, 11:14 PM   #29 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek View Post
In blower pow (cold and dry) you don't have much friction. Stayin on top and planing will have a much larger effect than extruded vs. sintered. And on top of that an extruded base with a good structure will be faster than sintered with no structure. So there's that too.

Camel Toe if you want surfy edge to edge. Hovercraft if you want faster stability.
Sick, you always know what to say. Camel toe in 158 and some tt30's coming 21th of december, thanks Nivek.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:25 PM   #30 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I am all knowing and all powerful.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote