Base for a pow board. - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2012, 11:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Default Base for a pow board.

Will extruded base break my deal compared to sintered in pow? Looking at Bataleon camel toe, considering that i would wax it the same as my sintered base on my billy goat.
blunted_nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2012, 11:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Sintered base is a must on a pow board. Only time I would say it doesn't matter is for a beginner that won't notice the difference and on park boards that are going to get destroyed anyways.
Triple8Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:28 AM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple8Sol View Post
Sintered base is a must on a pow board. Only time I would say it doesn't matter is for a beginner that won't notice the difference and on park boards that are going to get destroyed anyways.

I say the opposite, sort of. I say it's not a must. If the board is cheaper than a sintered one then sure, go for it. Don't let it stop your purchase. I just don't like extruded bases on expensive lib techs.

I had a first year capita charlie slasher, which has an extruded base...and it rode fine in powder.
Supra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:37 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Does it mean that if i want a high end pow board, extruded would be that much of a difference? Fuck, why would bataleon make a extruded base on their only pow board. That leaves me with Jones Hovercraft. Triple, have you rode any extruded base pow boards? Because im guessing that pow is the opposite from groomers and you dont need slick to get going. I dont really know but lib techs with tnt base are retarded for sure.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:00 AM   #5 (permalink)
ETM
Veteran Member

If its steep who cares, if its not you want all the speed you can get.
The price difference between extruded and sintered base is like $10 for a board and thats buying a small order for just 1 board. For a big manufacturer it would be about $3 I reckon.
There really is no excuse for using an extruded base on a powder board IMO.

Hovercraft is small for you IMO.
ETM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:08 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETM View Post
If its steep who cares, if its not you want all the speed you can get.
The price difference between extruded and sintered base is like $10 for a board and thats buying a small order for just 1 board. For a big manufacturer it would be about $3 I reckon.
There really is no excuse for using an extruded base on a powder board IMO.

Hovercraft is small for you IMO.
Your saying i can custom order a camel toe with sintered base from Austria for 10 dollars more? And your saying that 156 is too small or 160? I ride a 162 all mtn and you can down size because of swallow tail....
Old 12-11-2012, 02:09 AM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by blunted_nose View Post
Does it mean that if i want a high end pow board, extruded would be that much of a difference? Fuck, why would bataleon make a extruded base on their only pow board. That leaves me with Jones Hovercraft. Triple, have you rode any extruded base pow boards? Because im guessing that pow is the opposite from groomers and you dont need slick to get going. I dont really know but lib techs with tnt base are retarded for sure.
When will you stop spewing this nonsense? Lib-Tech TNT bases are perferctly adequate bases. In fact, they are arguable superior to some of the 'sintered' bases on the market.
hktrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:17 AM   #8 (permalink)
ETM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Your saying i can custom order a camel toe with sintered base from Austria for 10 dollars more? And your saying that 156 is too small or 160? I ride a 162 all mtn and you can down size because of swallow tail....
No you cant order a custom one, what Im saying is they should have spent the extra $3 and put a sintered base on it.

THis is all IMO but you are of similar stats to me and I ride a 164 all mountain but a 180 for powder. Instead downsizing for swallowtail you should try keeping the same or similar length and utilizing that length in the nose. It works a treat. You will wish you had more than 160 when you are in the deep stuff. The hovercraft is a great boad with great design principals but its not built for the big boys.
ETM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:27 AM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hktrdr View Post
When will you stop spewing this nonsense? Lib-Tech TNT bases are perferctly adequate bases. In fact, they are arguable superior to some of the 'sintered' bases on the market.
Ok, sure. Tnt base is what they call an extruded base. Just sayin'. If im spending that much for a board, it better have sintered base. And the way extruded bases are made makes them inferior to sintered, no matter how good they are. Anyways, ETM, what are your stats. Im about 200lbs and the 158 is rated for me, while i read that downsizing for a pow board will give you more maneuverability while taper, setback and swallow tail keep the float.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:37 AM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Ok, sure. Tnt base is what they call an extruded base. Just sayin'. If im spending that much for a board, it better have sintered base. And the way extruded bases are made makes them inferior to sintered, no matter how good they are. Anyways, ETM, what are your stats. Im about 200lbs and the 158 is rated for me, while i read that downsizing for a pow board will give you more maneuverability while taper, setback and swallow tail keep the float.
Wrong.

10 characters (actually just 1 simple character - blunted_nose)
hktrdr is offline   Reply With Quote