Beginner/Intermediate Looking to Purchase First Board - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2012, 05:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Beginner/Intermediate Looking to Purchase First Board

Hey All! I've been a skier since I was about 4 years old and only been snowboarding about 3-4 times. I'm decent...I can turn fairly well but I go slow and am still learning. My biggest trouble is completely getting the board around in a turn and catching an edge and eating it (broke my wrist last time even though I ate it going less than 1 MPH).

But, i'm ready to go again! I'm looking to buy my own gear this year. There's a million options so I'm just not sure what to get. I'm thinking about the Burton super hero wide 158. I'm 6'2" and 190lbs with a size 13 US foot.

I've been doing a ton of research so here's what I've found so far: I think rocker is better for me because it'll make turning easier and more forgiving? I believe I need wide because I have big feet. Other than that I'm just not sure. I'm looking to spend between $300-400 on the board, $200 on boots and $100-150 on bindings. Is there anything else I should know? What boards should I be looking at? I'd like a board to take me from beginner/intermediate to advanced. Whatever makes catching edges more forgiving is a plus too

Also, what shape is better for someone like me? twin? directional?

Thanks for your opinions!

EDIT: I should mention I'm not going into the parks for at least a few years...so mostly just slopes

Last edited by mattybee; 12-11-2012 at 05:27 PM.
mattybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2012, 06:15 PM   #2 (permalink)

A TBT Bataleon board would help to not catch an edge and they have a few all mountain boards to choose from

Bataleon.com
BottleOfSause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:19 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BottleOfSause View Post
A TBT Bataleon board would help to not catch an edge and they have a few all mountain boards to choose from

Bataleon.com

thanks for the suggestion! I've never even heard of this brand. Is there a significant difference in build quality between brands? (like how Apple's build quality is mostly better than their competitors)

I've only heard of ski brands making snowboards (K2, rossi etc) as well as burton and rome.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:14 PM   #4 (permalink)

Doesn't matter too much at this point
i'd spend 100 on a lesson, 50 on a helmet and 30 on wrist guards so you don't break your wrists again
http://www.sportchalet.com/product/w...urPicks&page=1

Would be a good start.
bindings uhhh try to find a deal on like flux tt30s or something.
Boots, just try everything on in the store, i'd spend the most on boots/bindings for sure.

No board is going to significantly help you from catching edges, that's more technique and getting your body perpendicular to the hill and using your front edge to initiate the turn.
jml22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:21 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jml22 View Post
Doesn't matter too much at this point
i'd spend 100 on a lesson, 50 on a helmet and 30 on wrist guards so you don't break your wrists again
http://www.sportchalet.com/product/w...urPicks&page=1

Would be a good start.
bindings uhhh try to find a deal on like flux tt30s or something.
Boots, just try everything on in the store, i'd spend the most on boots/bindings for sure.

No board is going to significantly help you from catching edges, that's more technique and getting your body perpendicular to the hill and using your front edge to initiate the turn.
funny thing is I WAS wearing wrist guards when I broke my wrist and I took lessons when I was younger. I fell so hard I thought I shattered my tail bone...didn't even feel my wrist until I went to take my gloves off and my left wrist was twice the size of my right My tail bone was just fine.

Interesting you say boots/bindings I should spend more on than board. What makes a good binding?

Any opinion on shape of board? directional vs. twin?
Old 12-11-2012, 07:31 PM   #6 (permalink)

That sucks it happens though, there are some good videos on how to fall properly haha, tuck and roll!
Look at the tips section, there are some good videos/commentaries from people as well.

Uncomfy boots will ruin your day, bad bindings will ruin your day
Board is meh you wont notice a difference really from board to board
Just get a hybrid rocker or something then you'll be set for awhile. That carbon credit is a pretty good deal and will fit/last you awhile.

Take the time with boots, seriously. It takes me a few runs to get my boots dialed in but if they're too tight or too loose it's an absolute nightmare and i want to rip my feet off halfway.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:41 PM   #7 (permalink)

cool thanks for the suggestion. I'll definitely take a look at boots in depth. what makes good boots/bindings?
Old 12-11-2012, 08:59 PM   #8 (permalink)

I use flux now, i like them a lot, Flux tt30
I hear good thing about all the major binding brands, pretty much pick something you like i guess if you spend like 200 bucks on them you'll prob just get used to them and fall in love regardless of what you get.
Boots, shrug check out, focus boas, quick lace and traditional laces for systems.
Each company is a bit different with fit so that's the biggest thing.

I would get that carbon credit.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:02 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattybee View Post
thanks for the suggestion! I've never even heard of this brand. Is there a significant difference in build quality between brands? (like how Apple's build quality is mostly better than their competitors)

I've only heard of ski brands making snowboards (K2, rossi etc) as well as burton and rome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokehaus View Post
Snowolf and I have came to an agreement that it was for sure Poutanen's fault. I vote for one year of probation and being forced to ride skis til death.
mrjimyjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:14 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jml22 View Post
I use flux now, i like them a lot, Flux tt30
I hear good thing about all the major binding brands, pretty much pick something you like i guess if you spend like 200 bucks on them you'll prob just get used to them and fall in love regardless of what you get.
Boots, shrug check out, focus boas, quick lace and traditional laces for systems.
Each company is a bit different with fit so that's the biggest thing.

I would get that carbon credit.
what is carbon credit? (sorry if you answered this already)