Jib Board: Proto good enough? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2012, 04:02 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Jib Board: Proto good enough?

I got 30+ days on my Proto 157 last season: all mountain and lite park jumps etc, love it. Focusing on buttering, jibs, and rails this season. Is the Proto good enough for all that, or would I be better suited with a softer board? I was looking into the Niche Knew.

I'm 5'10" 170lbs unlaiden.

TIA,
'S
ScottVD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2012, 04:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottVD View Post
I got 30+ days on my Proto 157 last season: all mountain and lite park jumps etc, love it. Focusing on buttering, jibs, and rails this season. Is the Proto good enough for all that, or would I be better suited with a softer board? I was looking into the Niche Knew.

I'm 5'10" 170lbs unlaiden.

TIA,
'S
I'm about the same size as you on a '54 proto, and I'm gettin an Evo this week to make my jib board. The main thing I would say is that the Proto is an ADVANCED jib board as opposed to a beginner or entry level jibber. There is absolutely no reason you can't learn to jib on it and make it work for you, but I believe my assessment to be accurate.

You've already been riding it for 30 days? How easily can u flex and butter it?
Old 12-12-2012, 04:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowklinger View Post
I'm about the same size as you on a '54 proto, and I'm gettin an Evo this week to make my jib board. The main thing I would say is that the Proto is an ADVANCED jib board as opposed to a beginner or entry level jibber. There is absolutely no reason you can't learn to jib on it and make it work for you, but I believe my assessment to be accurate.

You've already been riding it for 30 days? How easily can u flex and butter it?
Um, not that well: I've been doing it wrong though (last season) - for a tail press I've been trying to pull my front foot up instead of shift weight back on tail.. I recently got the snowboard addiction video series and that's been super helpful. This will be my 3rd season, my local mountain opens the 20th. I've been practicing on the Proto shifting weight and stuff for presses on the carpet but I don't have enough experience with other boards to know how flexible the board is, I guess it's all relative to what you know.

Last season I did some boxes, jumps, junk like that but I haven't touched a rail yet. I *love* the topsheet on the Proto but think the Evo might be too similar, same board just a tad softer? I was also looking at the K2 WWW - if I'm going to get a new board it better be substantially different from the Proto.
ScottVD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottVD View Post
Um, not that well: I've been doing it wrong though (last season) - for a tail press I've been trying to pull my front foot up instead of shift weight back on tail.. I recently got the snowboard addiction video series and that's been super helpful. This will be my 3rd season, my local mountain opens the 20th. I've been practicing on the Proto shifting weight and stuff for presses on the carpet but I don't have enough experience with other boards to know how flexible the board is, I guess it's all relative to what you know.

Last season I did some boxes, jumps, junk like that but I haven't touched a rail yet. I *love* the topsheet on the Proto but think the Evo might be too similar, same board just a tad softer? I was also looking at the K2 WWW - if I'm going to get a new board it better be substantially different from the Proto.
I agree with snowklinger that while the Evo is a little better for jibbing, there is nothing wrong with using the Proto to learn how to jib, butter, etc.

I've demo'd both the Evo and the Proto, ended up buying the Proto. Personally I agree with you that the Evo is too similar and I wouldn't waste the money (that $400-500 buys you a lot of lessons). The Proto is little stiffer in the tips, hence a tiny bit harder to press/butter but gives you more snap for ollies. In my opinion, if you can't do the trick on the Proto, you will only be able to barely half-ass the trick on an Evo anyways.

Sound like you are on the right track with the Snowboard Addiction. I think taking lessons and practicing the right technique is far more effective than buying the "perfect" snowboard.

Last edited by lonerider; 12-12-2012 at 05:24 PM.
lonerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

After riding with my proto all last year, I find my proto super noodly now..... or maybe my leg strenght just got insanly stong.

But i've had no problemw with my proto with butters and jibs. But I don't really do anything fancy with jibs.... but i do a lot of butters when ever I can.
roboelmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:08 AM   #6 (permalink)
Banned!

FYI I have both because I like the Proto as my "big" day board, I really can take it anywhere in-bounds and I keep the base nice, repaired, tuned and the edges sharp and unbeveled.

The Evo is gonna get beveled detuned and beaten to death.