Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Stance Option (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/52201-stance-option.html)

longboardsrule 12-12-2012 10:55 AM

Stance Option

Just bought a NS Raptor 169, first time with a Roc/Cam board. Coming off a 167 Canyon. Always had the stance as far in the back seat as you can go. Is there any need to go this far back on a R/C board? I was thinking 1.5" back of centre, any suggestions?

Also bought wife a 155 feel good V, I set it up 1.5" back of centre, any suggestion if I should move this forward or leave it. Shes intermediate and I think she will not tinker with her stance, so I would like to get it right the first time and leave it.

wrathfuldeity 12-12-2012 11:01 AM

Try it and if needs dialing in, tweak it...may even have to do it a few times but might as well get it right so it rides right with you/her....really no reason not to get it dialed in...don't want to be spending time fighting it all day or for the season. And ime, the higher end the board requires calibration to your riding and can be kind of finicky until its dialed...but when it is, you will notice it just clicks in and performs.

SJ10 12-12-2012 11:18 AM

If I recall the profile on the raptor is set back. I rode my raptor x 169 centered (in the holes) and had no problem with float. In my opinion the RC boards ride best from the center.

The primary adjustment from camber is using body position to keep centered instead of having the board (camber) do it for you. Everything on an RC board happens from the center as opposed to the tips on a camber stick.

Stance setback really depends on what board you're riding and in what conditions. I haven't found much advantage to moving the bindings back any more than the the built in setback when riding anything other than deep pow.

hktrdr 12-12-2012 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longboardsrule (Post 551166)
Just bought a NS Raptor 169, first time with a Roc/Cam board. Coming off a 167 Canyon. Always had the stance as far in the back seat as you can go. Is there any need to go this far back on a R/C board? I was thinking 1.5" back of centre, any suggestions?

Also bought wife a 155 feel good V, I set it up 1.5" back of centre, any suggestion if I should move this forward or leave it. Shes intermediate and I think she will not tinker with her stance, so I would like to get it right the first time and leave it.

Is there anything specific to your riding style or conditions that makes you want to deviate from the reference stance for your boards?

snowklinger 12-12-2012 04:01 PM

You should ride that beast on the reference points and only adjust if its uncomfortable. It was designed to perform with your weight on those points, its already fucking huge. A deck that size will probably float you in bottomless snow unless you weigh like #275+ (without moving the bindings).

grafta 12-12-2012 04:07 PM

I tend to think the post above is correct. Mount your bindings centered on the inserts. I think you'll have a hard time engaging the sidecut properly if you are behind the reference. NS R/C feels to me like it works well with forward initiation of turns and aft movement through the turn, it'd be harder to get over the nose to pressure that beginning of the turn if you mess with how the board is designed. I'm sure NS has it dialed :thumbsup:

Silver King 12-12-2012 06:06 PM

1.5" is quite a lot for that board. Like others have said, leave it alone for awhile.

lonerider 12-12-2012 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longboardsrule (Post 551166)

Stick with the reference stance - that is already like .5" set back on the Raptor... so having it all the way back would be like 2" in reality. The board designers already considered what the best setback woudl be for you. You should not have any float issues with that 169 cm so I don't see the need to add additional setback.

For you wife, again... use the reference stance. 1.5" setup back is extremely and would only be good for deep powder riding and will be detrimental to any regular snowboarding she will be doing (i.e. don't do it!)

hktrdr 12-12-2012 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lonerider (Post 551403)
Stick with the reference stance - that is already like .5" set back on the Raptor... so having it all the way back would be like 2" in reality. The board designers already considered what the best setback woudl be for you. You should not have any float issues with that 169 cm so I don't see the need to add additional setback.

For you wife, again... use the reference stance. 1.5" setup back is extremely and would only be good for deep powder riding and will be detrimental to any regular snowboarding she will be doing (i.e. don't do it!)

I believe the setback on the Raptor is actually 0.75" to 1.25" (depending on whether you look at setback relative to board length or effective edge/sidecut).

Agree that pretty much anything over 1" is already VERY directional freeride oriented and 1.5" generally makes no sense for anything but deep pow.

lonerider 12-12-2012 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hktrdr (Post 551461)
I believe the setback on the Raptor is actually 1" to 1.25" (depending on whether you look at setback relative to board length or effective edge/sidecut).

Oops... I was using this link and managed to read the wrong line somehow when I was flipping between the bottom and top of the page (where the row headers are).