Does my snowboard needs a fix already? - Page 4 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2012, 03:42 PM   #31 (permalink)

Hi Forum,
This weekend I did go to the snowboard shop. The guys did tell me that I had to get it fixed or else the backside might loosen due to the rapid temperature changes (from cold to warm).

Now about the costs. This stupidity cost me 130 US dollars (120CHF) to get it fixed. I will show you guys a picture of the fixed board friday.

Again thanks for the advice!
Doppelgänger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2012, 03:58 PM   #32 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelgänger View Post
Hi Forum,
This weekend I did go to the snowboard shop. The guys did tell me that I had to get it fixed or else the backside might loosen due to the rapid temperature changes (from cold to warm).

Now about the costs. This stupidity cost me 130 US dollars (120CHF) to get it fixed. I will show you guys a picture of the fixed board friday.

Wow, I would recommend not going back to that shop ever. No way that is anywhere close to 130 worth of work.
AWNOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:05 AM   #33 (permalink)
duh

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWNOW View Post
Once again you demonstrate typical desk jockey retardation by lacking the ability to comprehend English while thinking you are proving a point after putting words in my mouth. I'll have to upload some photos of some actual damage that will compromise a board to help you understand. I know it's hard when you spend all your time out in the Midwest looking at your board, but for those that ride regularly, that is no sweat. Stop over thinking it, it's a snowboard not a Mercedes Benz.
My desk is in Mammoth, right where it's been earning me a living snowboarding for the last 25+ years. One of the skills I learned while in this world is the know how to fix that damage the right way. I have seen plenty of worse damage, but damage is damage and when left untreated will more than likely lead to much bigger problems. Would I have charged the guy $130.00, hell no.

No a snowboard is not a Mercedes, but it's also not a skateboard. Fixing a ding like this is done for the same reason you fix a ding in your surfboard, you spent a lot of money on the equipment and want to get the most use out of it for the longest possible time. Same reason you change your oil, the car runs either way but a well maintained car runs better and lasts longer.

The damage on that board WILL affect the ride, the board is edge high in the impact area which will lead to a catchier ride. The bubble in the base is an area where the base has delaminated from the core, shaving the base with a blade won't reattach the base to the core. There is obvious separation in the sidewall bond which will allow water in, that needs a proper lasting seal. That's just the damage I can see from a few pics, but what do I know?

P.S. I get a lot of time to "look at my board"s while I'm regularly riding 120+ day years.
duh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:55 AM   #34 (permalink)
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelgänger View Post
Hi Forum,

Not suprised at the cost, this is what you will/should get:

click for a brief little photo how-to.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:31 AM   #35 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I paid $35 for a similar (worse actually) dent in my edge. They cut out some of the base next to the impacted edge, straighened the edge, hammered down the raised area, then sealed the "incision" with ptex. I would not pay $130 for your damage, which is much less severe than my $35 fix.
onthefence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:43 PM   #36 (permalink)
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthefence View Post
I paid $35 for a similar (worse actually) dent in my edge. They cut out some of the base next to the impacted edge, straighened the edge, hammered down the raised area, then sealed the "incision" with ptex. I would not pay $130 for your damage, which is much less severe than my $35 fix.
The difference is that what you got was a $35 fix. Except I used my own hammer at home to do the same shitty repair for free.

For $130 you will get the kind of fix that I linked.

This is apples vs oranges so what you would or would not pay isn't really relevant. Sounds rude? Sorry the internet is mean not my fault.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:20 AM   #37 (permalink)

Hi Forum,

I just got my snowboard back from the repair shop. The guy from the shop helped me and couldn't really explain how the actually fix the board. It is very unnoticeable now and I will continue snowboarding next week. Here are a few pics as promised. Next time I will definitely look better were I put my board!

Again thanks guys and take care.

Doppelgänger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:11 AM   #38 (permalink)
Veteran Member

pretty...but I probably would have just left that little dent alone. It wouldn't have affected your performance or speed. Boards are saturated with epoxy, so, it wouldn't have taken in water, either.

granted, prices are much higher in europe, but I think those people at your shop saw you coming and took advantage of you. By the time you get a couple of core shots and other dings, that little dent will look like nothing. I, at least, would have waited until more significant (non-DIY) damage and got a bundle repair deal at the shop.
extra0 is offline   Reply With Quote