Considering a Bataleon Goliath - TBT has me nervous - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2012, 04:12 AM   #11 (permalink)

I like TBT especially if you are starting to carve. It makes carving so much easier. Edge-to-edge it is really fast and it takes very little effort.
scrotumphillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2012, 12:58 PM   #12 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_Pin_Rich View Post
... I wonder if they continue to refine it on next years boards.
I doubt it. They "refined" TBT last year, but the tech has been pretty much carved in stone already a decade...because it was killer from the start.

one of the things that draws me to TBT is the glide. My home resort frequently gets massive amounts of snow (1 ft+ per storm) combined with the fact it has more than it's fair share of flat spots. You really need the most glide/speed possible in this situation. TBT's edges don't drag like standard boards...add a sintered base and a fresh wax and I'm the slipperiest guy out there.

Last edited by extra0; 12-18-2012 at 09:32 PM.
extra0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:52 PM   #13 (permalink)

I like the sound of this extra0. Sounds like a skateboard with good bearings
BottleOfSause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:52 PM   #14 (permalink)
Veteran Member

In my experience most people riding TBT and not liking it are either not adaptive enough or are trying to ride it like a traditional based camber board. It blends benefits of camber and rocker. I rode the original Whatever and it is still one of my all time favorite boards. Once on edge it drives like camber. Before that it drives between the feet as that's where you have edge contact. Realize that and change the way you rdie to compensate and its great. And as far as it being sketchy on jumps. Wasnt for me. I loved the feeling off jumps. The only thing it takes some real time getting use to is technical buttering. But if thats a concern dont get a Goliath or camber for the matter.

The Goliath is a fantastic deck. Grab one.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:37 AM   #15 (permalink)

rode my whatever for the first time today, loved it.

Last edited by RickB; 12-17-2012 at 12:40 AM.
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:12 AM   #16 (permalink)

Hi RickB, The Whatever has caught my eye as well, specs look very similar albeit on the softer end of the scale, and its cheaper to boot, I assume in part because of the extruded base.

Bataleon recommended me a 157W , I wear size 11 boots, 150lbs, would you guys concur?
King_Pin_Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:03 AM   #17 (permalink)
jza

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWBoarder View Post
You do have to lean it over more to lock in the edge on a groomer, and that felt weird to me, but I did get used to it.
That is a personal opinion but a completely false one at that... TBT actually allows you to NOT have to have the board at as high of an angle to engage your full edge. The boards flex us also what helps you engage the full edge.

Fuck the haters. TBT is The Best Technology that has been used in boards since a metal edge. If you are scared to try it, try it. Go in with an open mind and dont chuck it after one run. It will feel weird at first, but you will adapt to it just like you would with any new board.

If you are comfortable with your riding TBT should never cause any troubles for you. I've ridden mine in all kinds of conditions and the only time I've felt "squirrel-e" on it is when I am on a flat and going slow because with any board no matter if it V rocker, flying v, fat kick, flat dick, semi circle whatever tech some companies are coming out with these days they go with the fall line.

Don't let other peoples words dictate what board you buy, because no two riders are the same. Your best bet is to hit up a Bataleon demo day in your area and try out as many different boards and the different flavors of TBT to see which one best suits your riding style.

Just my two cents.... let the flame war start.
jza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:07 AM   #18 (permalink)
jza

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_Pin_Rich View Post
Hi RickB, The Whatever has caught my eye as well, specs look very similar albeit on the softer end of the scale, and its cheaper to boot, I assume in part because of the extruded base.

Bataleon recommended me a 157W , I wear size 11 boots, 150lbs, would you guys concur?
How tall are you? and what brand/model of boots are you riding?
jza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:09 AM   #19 (permalink)

I'm 5'11. Size 11 Nitro Boots, Model Barrage. The effective length of the boot is 32cm (I say effective as the heel is slightly chamfered )

Certainly am curious about this TBT, might give it a shot!

Seems to be similar to the 26 vs 29er debate going on in cycling, certainly sparks strong opinion anyway.
King_Pin_Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 01:33 PM   #20 (permalink)

i went with the 58w (even though i dont need wide technically) i'm a lot bigger than you, but i wanted something short (for me) and playful.

i'm sure you could handle the same 158, but maybe shorter would be a lil better?

my take on bataleon/tbt. flat out love it. I had taken a pretty long break from riding and when i came back to it i was blown away by all the reverse camber shi going on. it was fascinating to read about. to make my return to snowboarding i bought a ride slackcountry (i had notions of cherry picking the best days for powder) and did not like it. Probably too much rocker for me.
i got an insider deal on it and it was still super new that i sold it with no problems. I demo'd some other rocker boards and didnt really get along with them either. Started reading up on bataleon and watched their videos and mentally i had already drank the coolaid. Bought a 161w TheJam from the classifieds here. Getting off the lift for the first time was awkward, and the first 1/2 of my first run i thought i had made a big mistake, but by the time i got to the bottom i was completely sold. A few more runs that first day and i felt that i'd never want another style of board. Had never had a board sooo quick edge to edge and super stable carving. (the whatever i have is not as much of a badass as the Jam, but its a winner for me just the same)
I love the feeling of being able to rail a turn and have that camber to push agains/rebound out of into the next turn.

/tldr i have a full hard on for tbt

your results may vary but its worth a try
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote