Snowboard delivered with small chip - worth getting fixed? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2012, 12:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Snowboard delivered with small chip - worth getting fixed?

Hey guys - looking for some advice about my new snowboard that was just delivered. It's a Rome Gold, I ordered it from backcountry a few weeks ago (no snowboard shops near me had it, and I couldn't find a Canadian website that had my size for a reasonable price). It was delivered today, which is quite exciting, except I just noticed that there seems to be a small section of the topcoat that is "missing"/dented or has been scratched off (see attached pictures, right along the edge of the board). I don't think it would affect the board's performance, but I'm worried it will cause the rest of the topcoat to continue chipping away or cause some other problem.

I'm not sure if it's worth getting fixed - I don't really want to take it into my local board shop to see if they can do anything and end up paying a bunch more money on a board that's brand new. Would Rome or backcountry (not sure if this is a manufacturing problem or a transport problem) reimburse me for any repairs? I'm not sure if it's worth sending it back to backcountry (I wanted it for Christmas break), because I think I have to pay to ship it back (and I might have to pay customs/taxes when the new one got shipped back??)

So my question is basically whether this is not a big deal, whether it's an easy fix for a board shop, or whether it's worth trying to send back to get a new board. Thanks for your thoughts/opinions, and I apologize if this is a stupid question!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg snowboard1.jpg (61.0 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg snowboard2.jpg (71.2 KB, 106 views)
silverwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2012, 12:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

It is kind of difficult to tell from that angle. However, if you can see that it is a section of the top sheet that has chipped away, and can clearly see the bottom of the top sheet from it, then you need to send it back. If snow/water gets underneath the top sheet it will start to delam. Though if it is just a scratch then it is no big deal at all.
AWNOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWNOW View Post
It is kind of difficult to tell from that angle. However, if you can see that it is a section of the top sheet that has chipped away, and can clearly see the bottom of the top sheet from it, then you need to send it back. If snow/water gets underneath the top sheet it will start to delam. Though if it is just a scratch then it is no big deal at all.
I know, it's really hard to get a picture of - I'm not really sure what the bottom of the top coat would look like? When I first noticed it, I thought it was just a layer of clear goop stuff that got left on the board (like when you peel off a sticker and there's some sticky stuff left over) - it's not deep, and you can still see the different colours of the board (it's not down to the core or anything), but you can feel a very small ridge around the scrape. Guess I will take it into the board shop in my city and see what they say. Thanks for the reply!
Old 12-13-2012, 01:19 PM   #4 (permalink)

Also if it is a section of the whole top sheet (not sure how thick the scrape would need to be for this to be the case), is that something a board shop can fix, or I would definitely have to send it back?
Old 12-13-2012, 04:31 PM   #5 (permalink)

Send it back. Backcountry will be happy to exchange and they have great customer service. It is also reasonable to ask for next day air too.
laxinchili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by laxinchili View Post
Send it back. Backcountry will be happy to exchange and they have great customer service. It is also reasonable to ask for next day air too.
THIS

Call them up , email the photo's I'm sure they will take care of you
Old 12-13-2012, 04:42 PM   #7 (permalink)

Yeah I would return it and get it exchanged. No reason to keep a brand new damaged board when you can have one in perfect condition that you paid for...
luna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:16 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks for the replies - I'm just worried it will turn into a big hassle for me (my school exams start next week so I'm really busy right now). I contacted them and they said if I take it into the board shop in my city they will reimburse me for any repair costs. I would want them to reimburse the shipping return costs back to their warehouse, the customs/taxes/duty cost I had to pay when I picked up the board, plus shipping back (hopefully some express shipping method to Canada), plus the customs/taxes/duty cost the second time - do you think they would do this? And I'm wondering how long it would take to get that all sorted out. I guess it could be worth asking, it's just such a pain to think about this when I'm so busy with school! Helpful responses though - thanks everyone!
Old 12-13-2012, 09:32 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwhale View Post
Thanks for the replies - I'm just worried it will turn into a big hassle for me (my school exams start next week so I'm really busy right now). I contacted them and they said if I take it into the board shop in my city they will reimburse me for any repair costs. I would want them to reimburse the shipping return costs back to their warehouse, the customs/taxes/duty cost I had to pay when I picked up the board, plus shipping back (hopefully some express shipping method to Canada), plus the customs/taxes/duty cost the second time - do you think they would do this? And I'm wondering how long it would take to get that all sorted out. I guess it could be worth asking, it's just such a pain to think about this when I'm so busy with school! Helpful responses though - thanks everyone!
Dude... You are making this a hassle. Just ask for an exchange for the board you paid for overnighted to you and they will give you a shipping slip to print to return. No hassle.
laxinchili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:43 PM   #10 (permalink)
Drunk with power...er beer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laxinchili View Post
Dude... You are making this a hassle. Just ask for an exchange for the board you paid for overnighted to you and they will give you a shipping slip to print to return. No hassle.
Cross-border is never that easy.

I hate the parts between winter
Donutz is offline   Reply With Quote