Help here ... - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2012, 04:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Help here ...

Well guys I need some help here!

I consider that I am ready to change level in snowboarding but this is difficult to happen with my current board! I ride a Burton Twin 07 161 (ww259) but it is hard for me to begin ollies , jibbing and butters. I tried a lot with this board but I don't know, maybe the board is too heavy? too long? the camber profile didn't help me at all, and the board is too stiff to do butters! The only thing I achived is some small jumps an nothing more!
What do you suggest? I try to proceed to the next nevel, but it is impossible with that board and I decide to change it. I'd like to fun outhere , do tricks, jump obstacles, jumps (not big jumps) with a tool that can help me !
Thanks anyway
snoWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2012, 04:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

That board is made to be a park board. It could be that it is too big for you, but you know, without the details about your physical person (i.e. height, weight, boot size) this will just be an effort in the hypothetical. Please provide those details.

While equipment can be limiting to performing freestyle tricks, personnel misalignments and unrealized skill can be just as limiting. You may find through the assistance you find here that the board isn't the issue. The need to take a freestyle or general rider improvement lesson might be the better option.
gjsnowboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjsnowboarder View Post
That board is made to be a park board. It could be that it is too big for you, but you know, without the details about your physical person (i.e. height, weight, boot size) this will just be an effort in the hypothetical. Please provide those details.

While equipment can be limiting to performing freestyle tricks, personnel misalignments and unrealized skill can be just as limiting. You may find through the assistance you find here that the board isn't the issue. The need to take a freestyle or general rider improvement lesson might be the better option.
6.2 , 80kg , 13 US size ! The problem ofcourse is board! I tried a friend's board (same board but 157) and all became so easy for me! But I have a lot of toe draging so I have some hard takedowns. I never tried a rocker board also!

Many friends of mine, suggested me TBT Goliath or Whatever but I only studied Burton's tech (cause of marketing ). I do not even know if I need a Camper board, a Rocker one, or a hybrid one, or even more the flexibility I need! For the TBT tech I have no idea if this boards is easy for me to take me to the next level!
Old 12-13-2012, 06:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoWorm View Post
6.2 , 80kg , 13 US size ! The problem ofcourse is board! I tried a friend's board (same board but 157) and all became so easy for me! But I have a lot of toe draging so I have some hard takedowns. I never tried a rocker board also!
While it is true a board with scoop technology(I believe that is burton tech), rocker or even softer flex then a Twin can make doing a butter easier or sliding a rail board slide easier without catching an edge. Riders have been doing butters, boardslides, etc. on boards much stiffer decks then your Twin. Hell, half the veteran riders on here can do butters on decks like a Burton T6 or T7. Nothing equalizes out a rider like proper technique.
I might mention you might want to take a look at more then just the board. Stiff boots can be a detractor when it come to freestyle. A stiff boot can lock out your ankle and require more force to flex and extend. Binding angles and placement in relation to the working edge can effect performance as well.

If you are set on a new board with size thirteen feet you will need to stay on a wide board. Look for boards that have a flex rating under 6-7. Most likely you will need to stay close to the 161 length. Don't go smaller then a 157. A 159 will probably be about right, if not longer. The smaller you go the more likely it is for the nose or tail to feel like it is folding up underneath you when buttering. This leaves more a MUCH smaller range of error. Take a look at boots and bindings that are a little flexier too.

Boards you should look at anyways that I have had more then a passing experience with:
Neversummer EVO or Legacy
Ride Kink
Burton Joystick or Hero(the Hero they do make in a wide now, but it will be a pretty different ride)
K2 Darkstar

P.S. Since this is a park board remember it will be more likely to take damage. Spending a lot of money on a park board is like buying a Cadillac and then taking it to go to the demolition derby. Finding something that gets good reviews for taking a beating and that can keep on ticking.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:53 PM   #5 (permalink)

Very useful infos, especially these for the boots and the bindings! All these years I wear Burton Mission and Burton Ruler! For my new board I choose Burton Cartel (something better than before), hope this is a good thought for me!

For the park you mention, I don't know if a "park board" is perfect for me because in my country the word SnowPark is unknown !
To definite my style, think a more freestyle riding on piste and everything next to (small jumps ...enough for a simple 180,butters etc) BUT forget anything about tube or big jumps and landings!

Plus that the lenght of my previous board (161), seems to be too much for me! As for the Joystick,yes, is an option for me, but , can I really fit in a 158 waist width?

Last edited by snoWorm; 12-13-2012 at 07:56 PM.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Just to give you a range I come in at size 13's and ride boards that range from 159 to 164 all wide boards. I am 6'0" and 220 lbs. The 161 is not too long for you. As long as its a wide board you should be fine. The burton bindings and boots also work well together since they decrease boot length and the bindings have gas pedals. The Rulers are not the stiffest boot out there and should be fine. Cartels are some of the best all around bindings and I definitely suggest them. Honestly though, I suggest taking a lesson based of what I've read in this thread. Lesson's aren't just for beginners. Too many riders think I can ride down the mountain and that is all there is too learn. Instructors don't just teach how to turn. It is just turning allows us to see movement patterns and alignments that allow us to breakdown what a rider needs. We can take the new skills learned into different aspects of riding like ollies, tree presses, pop-180's , etc. I suggest watching some videos if the instruction where you live might not be that great and take that knowledge and apply it in your riding.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:00 PM   #7 (permalink)

Despite taking lessons for all these you mention, I really wonder about the type of the board that I need, because I am going to spend more than 700$ for this setup and I have no money to waste! A Burton Joystick 159W (ww259) should be nice or a Bataleon Whatever 158W (ww263) for example! I ask because I do not know if the most important for me is the waist width and the size to be prefect or the tech and the stiffness ...
Old 12-14-2012, 06:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Waist width since you have big feet is really important, length of board is next, then flex, then technology, and then is it pretty?