help with women's beginners board please! - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2012, 09:19 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default help with women's beginners board please!

I'm just starting out but want to get a board since I plan on going a lot this season to improve myself! I live on the east coast with the awesome icy conditions. I searched through a bunch of threads and here's the list I came up with

flow venus
k2 lunatique
ride solace
ride compact
ride canvas
rome vinyl

Open to any other suggestions! I'm kind of leaning towards the ride canvas but that seems to be listed more as an intermediate board so was wondering if that would be good for me to learn on (I'm still having issues with my toe side turns!).

I'm 5'6, 130lbs. Would 147/148 be a good choice? or 150/151 be better?

And these are the bindings I'm considering (leaning towards the flux...because I like how it looks ).
flux gm30
rome madison
ride bandita
k2 agogo
tofufa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2012, 10:18 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Consider burton feather if you're new rider, or if you're intermediate or advanced, or you want a long term board that you can grow into then burton feelgood in camber (better for ice than the flying V version)
Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:31 AM   #3 (permalink)
Resident poet

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofufa View Post

I'm 5'6, 130lbs. Would 147/148 be a good choice? or 150/151 be better?
depends on the general snow conditions...groomed/hard pack/ice...shorter, longer if lots of pow 6-8"+...but 48-51 is not much difference. If you go longer, perhaps get a bit softer flex.

rome maddies are nice...what my daughter uses, she is 5'4", 125# and rides 144, 148 and 155 depending on the snow and for her skis some 174 fatty twins that are 130mm under foot.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

Default Solace if it's cheap

I started out on the ride solace in traditional camber. It was a good board, good price (a couple seasons old when I got it, paid $150 for a complete setup) It definitely helped me build my confidence riding because it was mellow and predictable; I was able to get down all the runs I tried on it. After a couple seasons I felt like I outgrew it, and wanted something more fun and to try the park, but the board was still in really good shape, so durability wise it's a winner. I'm about your size and I had a 146 which was comfortable.

If you can get it in the upper 140s size-wise and for a good price (like $100 tops, especially because I don't think they make it anymore) I say go for it. Otherwise, I'm sure there will be other, better recommendations coming your way. Sorry, I haven't tried any of the other boards you are considering so I'm no help there.
ashleyalcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 01:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

Did you have a budget in mind?

Have you looked into Arbor, GNU, and Never Summer? They have interesting edge profiles that cut into ice pretty well.
cocolulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 01:38 PM   #6 (permalink)

I know wired has a line of boards that are less than $200 that have been well received by various people on the forum. I know absolutely nothing about them, but I've seen their staff around the forum with give-aways and product reviews. Just something else to consider. They seem like a decent bunch so I'm sure if nothing else they could talk to you about their various house models and name brand boards they carry.

Women's Snowboards For The Female Shredders Of The World
Treegreen is offline   Reply With Quote