fat fast bords for a polar bear - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2012, 12:41 AM   #11 (permalink)

1 vote for the Megalight. It floats in pow and carves well on groomed snow. I cant comment on stiffness for you. I weigh under 150 lbs, ride the 158 version and it is stiff enough for me.
ju87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2012, 06:52 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planet Boulder View Post
34 is "too old" for the park? Damn. I'm 46 and I guess nobody has informed me that I'm too old for the park, yet.

Just giving you a hard time, man. I don't want some 240-lb, battle axe-wielding son of Ingvar coming after me.
hahaha No worry’s man, happy to here that you still going strong in the park.
lepont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:49 AM   #13 (permalink)

Thanks a lot for all tips and advice, Sounds like menny boards will fit me. Is said that I cant try any of them before buying them.

Thies boards are most interesting for me because they are wider then 265mm, the stiffness, and new tech to transmission and effortless edge hold. And I like more freeride spec board then all mountain.

1. Kessler ride 176
2. Nidecker megalight 167
3. NS raptor x
4. KT-22 166 w
5. Ride UL 168/172
6. Lib tech skunk ape 169

Haw would you rank this boards and please motivate way, without thinking about the price.
lepont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:15 PM   #14 (permalink)
Veteran Member

If I was to choose one I would go with the kessler no doubt.

Just my opinion though.

Then maybe the nidecker and Never summer.
dreampow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:08 AM   #15 (permalink)
RJJ

My choice would be the Nidecker Megalight 167XL Camrock.

Not sure about the stiffness for 100KG+, but email Nidecker with your details and ask them, they usually respond really quickly. I reckon it will be fine. This board is designed for the Alps and built here in Switzerland!

My curve ball choice would have been a Burton Fish, but I don't think it will work so well at 100KG (web site says up to 91KG).
I use one in the Alps, OK on the piste to get you to the fun bits, then it is unbeatable in the powder and loose snow. And as for those who think it can only be ridden in powder, watch this.

Stephan Maurer – Full part on a Burton Fish – Whitelines Snowboarding
RJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:40 PM   #16 (permalink)
Veteran Member

As a fellow big man on a snowboard with similar though slightly larger stats than you quoted, I can stand up for the NS boards being solid as I currently ride a Legacy and have ridden a Heritage X and Revolver as well. I can also stand behind the Ride boards though it's been a few years since I've owned one, they were my go to deck for the better part of a decade.

The Smokin KT-22 is also a solid ride and was on my short list when I bought the Legacy a couple of season's ago.

I haven't been on the Nidecker but they make a quality board. Kessler I always think of as more of a Eurocarve hard boot type of board... that's not to say they don't do other things also but that's the stereotype I have of them.

The only board on that list I'm not a huge fan of is the SkunkApe. While it's not a bad board as Mervin makes overall good product I just think you pay a lot for the hype machine they use to pump up their gear. I've ridden them a couple of times over the years and it always just feels like a big, dead plank of wood to me. It holds an edge really well and has some cool graphics but the ride is just boring and had no life to me.
lisevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:09 PM   #17 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Top two would be the raptor and smokin tied.... Second would be the lib. Then nideker.... Would not even consider the others. If it was going to e strictly a race board I would get a Kessler.

Between raptor and kt22 I would get a kt22... Just because I have ridden mine hard and it's still in good condition 30 days deep into a 3rd season.
Argo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:22 AM   #18 (permalink)

You're similar to me in size and style. The two boards that you mentioned that I would recommend are the NS Raptor and the Megalight. Both boards will serve you well but if I had to choose, it would be the Megalight, that's one sick looking board. I'm currently waiting for my Ultralight to arrive. Good luck.
Mpjames 09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:20 PM   #19 (permalink)

i would tie the RaptorX and Megalight...with a slight edge to the Megalight. I think you might get a bit more edge hold on the nidecker with the positive camber between the feet and the serrated edge. as for stiffness i think they are similar. i dont know about durability for the nidecker. hard to find that kind of info, but based on the tech they put into it, it looks to be quite sturdy. i can vouch for the raptor being strong as hell.

dont consider a lib anything if you are concerned with longevity. seen too many delam, edges come loose and really easy to throw in a coreshot over some rocks.

i almost went with a kt-22, but decided against magnetraction. also...i have a friend in south lake who knows the owners and he said they were a bunch of dicks! i dont think that really swayed me too much, but didnt care much for the graphics either. not that any of us choose a board for its graphics!

as for the kessler and ride...i know nothing about those. sorry, cant help you there.

by the way...ive got you beat with weight but wear an 11-12 boot...depending on the manufacturer, and the raptor is perfect, if not slightly wide for me. wish they had a mid-wide last year!
wernersl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:45 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
Skunk Apes Horsepower – Lib Tech

Go with either the 169W HP Ape or the

Skunk Apes – Lib Tech

172W Skunk Ape.

They are directional boards that are wide waist width and built for big guy's. Magne Traction for riding crusty icy crap. It is also a hybrid camber that will float much better than what you are used to.
Totally agree. Another great ride you would enjoy is one of the Lib Tech Banana Magic's.

Another upside is all the graphics are amazing on all three boards.

Good luck!
Brainwashed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
big guy, carving speed, fast boards, freride, wide freeride