fat fast bords for a polar bear - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2012, 09:22 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default fat fast bords for a polar bear

Im need your advice to help me find the right board for me if you have time. I have been resurge a lot for a 2 weeks now and cant decide.

Data:
Im 34 years old, weight 110 kg/ca 240 lbs, boot 13 us, 182 cm tall. Typical Swedish Viking Im a strong rider have bin riding for 20 years and competing in alpin skiing before that. So I know snow.

Riding syle:
Idont ride park any more (busted knee and to old and heavy) I love speeed really fast and do carving turns in speeds over 40 m/h. I love also powder when I can get it Its all I do. Idont do any tricks anymore maybe a 360 or backside air on a pow hit. Old school I never ever ride switch.

Environment
In Sweden is most icy gromers, hard pak but in the alps there I spend 2-4 weeks per gear its mostly powder and steep backcountry. 60% icy gromers, 40% powder.

Boards I have ride last 10 years
Salomon Regulate -2002 wide 168 waist 275mm effective edge 1330mm heavy and mega stiff and good edge hold, the faster you go the better it is. Good sides its stable in ultra speed and never felt unscure on it. Bad sides: you have to worke a lot with it and to turn it, bad in powder when the noose digs in to the fresh tuff and give you a back leg burn.

Burton supermodel -2009, 168 rode it one week and dident like it. It was ok stiffnes but to narrow in the waist ca 256mm and I got to drags in harder carves. I returnd that bord and bought a salomon magnum wide 166 -2010 waist: ca 265mm Thes bord I dident like thes bord at all it was to soft flex and felt like it was to small. It woked good in trees in pow but in the gromers it suck big time. I cudent get control over it in hi speeds and the noose was flipping around and lift the hole board upp in bumps really strange. That board ruined my 3 weeks in St anton (alps) and my bad knee was getting worse to ride this board.

Last gear I change back to the old Salomon Regulate and it was like a dream and it was fun to snowboard again. I culd kip up with a my pro siking frends that I cudent do before with the burton and salomon magnum. I compare the regulate to the magnum stand to
each other and the regulate was so mutch bigger board so its understandable that it rides totally different.

But now I want to take part of the new technology in the new boards and its hard to decide what to bay. This is the boards I’m looked in to

Never summer Raptor x 169: a waist at 269mm that’s maybe enough? Is it stiff enough?

Nidecker Megalight X167 All reviews say that a fantastic board but all riders ho ridden it are not as big us I am. Is it really stiff enough?

Nidecker Legend Wat the different here between megalight and Legend?

Jones flagship is to narrow in the waist. Otherwise a good match maybe.

Smokin kt-22 ?

Red air tanker?

Any idée’s ?
lepont is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2012, 05:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Look into the Ride Highlife UL wides, Nitro Blacklight Camber, Flow Solitude, or a Burton Custom X Wide.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:33 PM   #3 (permalink)

im a big guy like you, 6'3 260 and i recently bought a custom x. i love it, its really still so i can carve at high speeds and not have any worries. my girlfriend is an instructor and i would have troubles keeping up with her just because i had a slower board but now she cant even keep up with me, i love it so far
mike9998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I love my kt-22 boards. I have a 159w and a 162w. They make a 166 and 172 also... The magna traction holds great on ice. The clash rocker is great in powder and you can ride a short board than you think which is why I have my lengths. Im 280lbs and they float my big ass pretty well.
Argo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

Skunk Apes Horsepower – Lib Tech

Go with either the 169W HP Ape or the

Skunk Apes – Lib Tech

172W Skunk Ape.

They are directional boards that are wide waist width and built for big guy's. Magne Traction for riding crusty icy crap. It is also a hybrid camber that will float much better than what you are used to.
that1guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
The Rooster King

for a viking i gotta throw out the Venture Odin.

very stiff freeride board only to be ridden by big manly men. custom widths.
ShredLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

34 is "too old" for the park? Damn. I'm 46 and I guess nobody has informed me that I'm too old for the park, yet.

Just giving you a hard time, man. I don't want some 240-lb, battle axe-wielding son of Ingvar coming after me.

Last edited by Planet Boulder; 12-16-2012 at 09:55 PM.
Planet Boulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:14 PM   #8 (permalink)

Don't know how old your boots are, but if they're more than a few years old you might want to look at newer models. Many have some kind of shrink technology that significantly reduce the overall size. This will enlarge your choice of board.

I'm also 34, 225 Lbs, size 12 boots ( w / shrink). I ride a NS Proto CTX (wide). The board is wide enough and could accomodate size 13. However that would be too soft for your style. If you want NS the Raptor X would be perfect for you.

The Smokin and LibTechs are also great suggestion.

If you ride lots of groomer and hardpack, some kind of edge tech really makes a difference.
SimonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

You so need to change your user name to Thor.

Lots of good advice so far. Since you ride lots of pow definitely get something with rocker (at least in the nose) like the highlife.

Since you are in Europe if you have cash to spare I would say the ride from kessler looks like an amzing freeride board that is good in pow.
dreampow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

if you want something slightly more playful than the highlife my vote is the berzerker, but if you really are just pow and hard charging my vote is for the highlife.

Tags
big guy, carving speed, fast boards, freride, wide freeride