Jibsaw a good board for me? (recommend anything else?) - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2012, 07:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
JSU

Default Jibsaw a good board for me? (recommend anything else?)

Hey everyone,

This is my second season boarding and I started doing jumps a little while ago. I'm 6'0/190lb with a 10.5" shoe and I'm currently using a Rossignal 156cm unidirectional board from the beginning of the century... I've hit about 50mph and can cruise at about 35mph (alpine replay) on this thing but would like something some better stopping power and the ability for more control. I plan on spending the majority of the season on the east coast and I hear they have a lot of ice there (I'm from SoCal). So I've been looking into boards with edges like MTX or Frostbite. I'm also on a budget.

I found the 2012 Rossignal 158cm mid-wide Jibsaw for a bit under $200. Do you think this fits the bill? Would you recommend anything else? I'm not really sure how I'd go about demoing boards and it may not fit into my schedule.

Thanks!
J
JSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2012, 11:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Picked up a 2012 Jibsaw this season from Evo and I've ridden it twice thus far. It was my first twin and my first experience on a non-traditional cambered board, so I can't compare it to other boards of the same ilk. All I can do is give you my impressions of the board.

I've read reviews suggesting that it can get squirrely at higher speeds, but I threw everything I had at it on Saturday and it held up as well as any board I've owned. I gunned it hard down the scant few groomers that were open (unfortunately, none of the groomers had any hits, so I had to "force" some small jumps). Because the park isn't open yet and because no good jumps are available in the limited open terrain, I can't speak for kickers, rails, whatnot, but I will say that I was pleasantly surprised at how easy the learning curve was for me with respect to hybrid camber and MTX. I did notice, however, that the MTX bit pretty hard, and that took a little bit of getting used to (as expected), but nothing to worry about. Handled the chop quite well.

I did slide out unexpectedly in a couple of places, but that may be more due to my continuing to get accustomed to completely new (to me) technology.

The flex is about mid (5 or 6) and isn't noodly at all, which is nice because I transitioned to it from a very stiff board. Most of the online reviews I've read have been spot on as it relates to what I could actually test it on thus far (save for the one or two comments suggesting that it wasn't as good at speed). Still a lot more testing to come once more terrain opens up at my local mtn or the backcountry becomes decent.

I ride mine with a set of Flow Trilogys (softer than I would like, but the price was right).

Hope this helps?

Last edited by Planet Boulder; 12-16-2012 at 11:13 PM.
Planet Boulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
JSU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planet Boulder View Post
Picked up a 2012 Jibsaw this season from Evo and I've ridden it twice thus far. It was my first twin and my first experience on a non-traditional cambered board, so I can't compare it to other boards of the same ilk. All I can do is give you my impressions of the board.

I've read reviews suggesting that it can get squirrely at higher speeds, but I threw everything I had at it on Saturday and it held up as well as any board I've owned. I gunned it hard down the scant few groomers that were open (unfortunately, none of the groomers had any hits, so I had to "force" some small jumps). Because the park isn't open yet and because no good jumps are available in the limited open terrain, I can't speak for kickers, rails, whatnot, but I will say that I was pleasantly surprised at how easy the learning curve was for me with respect to hybrid camber and MTX. I did notice, however, that the MTX bit pretty hard, and that took a little bit of getting used to (as expected), but nothing to worry about. Handled the chop quite well.

I did slide out unexpectedly in a couple of places, but that may be more due to my continuing to get accustomed to completely new (to me) technology.

The flex is about mid (5 or 6) and isn't noodly at all, which is nice because I transitioned to it from a very stiff board. Most of the online reviews I've read have been spot on as it relates to what I could actually test it on thus far (save for the one or two comments suggesting that it wasn't as good at speed). Still a lot more testing to come once more terrain opens up at my local mtn or the backcountry becomes decent.

I ride mine with a set of Flow Trilogys (softer than I would like, but the price was right).

Hope this helps?
Awesome reply. Thanks

The next question is whether the mid-wide model or the regular one would be better.

Thanks!
J
JSU is offline   Reply With Quote