My Xmas bonus came early. Need some assistance on a new board... - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2012, 05:40 PM   #11 (permalink)

Interesting comparison between three different Lib Tech's with varying stiffness's and banana.

Lib Tech Skate Banana vs Banana Magic vs Attack Banana snowboard reviews by Board Insiders - YouTube
Brainwashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2012, 01:03 AM   #12 (permalink)

You can't go wrong with either board but I'd suggest the NS Proto. Excellent reviews and magazine awards. Great reputation that's backed I believe by a three year warranty, which is one of the longest in the industry. It's a true do everything board. Good luck
Mpjames 09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:30 PM   #13 (permalink)

So I just got back from one of my Tahoe trips this season and I rode for 4 days. 3 out of the 4 days, I borrowed my buddies 2010 Custom X which is pretty beat up, but for the most part held up its own.

The 3rd day I actually demo'd out TRice Pro 157 from one of the local shops. And what I gathered for my experience on the board is that turn initiation seemed to be much harder and difficult than the X and my other previous boards. Trying to kick it back when going through the trees seemed much more work. Magnetaction is great though(actually a little too great as I ate it on a cat walk catching an edge). When I returned to the shop, and commented on the TRice to one of the local guys, he actually recommended to me the Banana Magic as well. Granted the TRice is a pro board, and I would classify myself to be an intermediate to advanced rider, but my concern is if the Banana Magic will have the same difficulty with turn initiation? Is this something I can expect from the Banana Magic as well, and if so, do I move to look at either the NS Proto CT, Premier, or Heritage?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:22 PM   #14 (permalink)

I would say that the Banana Magic doesn't want to readily fall into a slow speed turn. It's a pretty stiff and aggressive board over and really needs to be paid attention to and really wants to be laid on edge to turn. At slow speeds such as in bumps I have needed to really push the tail around some to get it to swing a turn. Not a big deal to me at all, but slow speed easy turn initiation isn't this boards claim to fame. This board wants to be carved, and spun into a jib... then carved again.

The Magic is pretty stiff, and while I think it's an amazing all around board I wouldn't say that easy turn initiation is it's strength. Tight carves that would stand up to a Custom X/TRS are where I feel it's strength lies - all while being a true twin tip with rocker to help with powder float and flatland forgiveness. For a stiff board it's pretty playful, but it's still a stiff board like the T.Rice.

If you want a board that's easier to initiate slow speed turns with but is still very well rounded, I would steer you towards the TRS or Attack Banana. I would enjoy either one of these decks andthey seem to be softer flexing and therefore easier turn initiation. I think the trade off might be losing that sweet carve stability though.

I think you should try to demo the Magic if you can. You need to be able to make your own impressions of it. I can't speak to the Never Summer boards but they seem like they have an outstanding build quality.

Last edited by Brainwashed; 01-22-2013 at 03:31 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:24 PM   #15 (permalink)

It's tough when you use a demo board to gauge how much you might like it . It's doubtful it's freshly waxed and tuned so that could contribute to your lack of turning ability with that T Rice. I've never ridden the Proto, but I've heard nothing but good things and that it is truly a do it all board. After 8 years of ridi g I'm sure you could get any board to turn, it just that you haven't had a chance to dial it in to your unique setup.
Mpjames 09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:39 PM   #16 (permalink)

That's a good point, you can get any board to turn with 8 years of riding under your belt.

Have you ridden a C2 or "banana" board before? I feel that my Banana Magic actually like to be driven from the rear foot more than any board I've ridden before. I have to assume it's a trait of a rocker board, but it occasionally throws me off.

I think once you get used to it you will really enjoy a C2 board like the T. Rice or the Banana Magic.