My Xmas bonus came early. Need some assistance on a new board... - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2012, 02:55 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default My Xmas bonus came early. Need some assistance on a new board...

So my Xmas bonus came a little early and I need some advice from the experts on a board purchase.

Stats:
5"10"
165lbs
boot size 9.5

Been riding about 8 years now, I'd say I'm between intermediate and advanced. I live in the Midwest and ride about 20+ days a year out West. I ride about 70% back country, trees, steeps, and groomers, and 30% park. I do go for every little natural jump and cornice when possible. As I know this has been asked a hundred times from everyone looking for the same help as me, I'm primarily looking all mountain POW board that I can take out West, rip through the trees, but still allow me to have a little play-ability in the park. And pressing or buttering a board is not really up my alley. Spins, and hitting a couple of rails is pretty much the extent of me in the park, but again, I'm about 70-30 all mtn vs. park.

I'm looking between the following:

T.Rice Pro HP 157
Never Summer Proto 157cm

Also, with my current height and weight combo, would a 157 be to big or should I look at the T. Rice 153/ Proto 154??? I have heard the T. Rice rides bigger than it is, and I'd prefer a shorter board to maneuver around trees, but don't want something that's gonna be too short for POW. Would a 153 or 154 be just as fine for me in POW?

Any help from the enthusiasts is appreciated. Thanks!
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2012, 03:09 PM   #2 (permalink)

I would demo both of the boards that you are looking at if at all possible. The T.Rice is a great board, but I've never ridden the Never Summers.

If you haven't looked at it yet, I would look into the Lib Tech Banana Magic. The Factory is already out of them and I can't recommend the board enough for how you describe what you ride.
Brainwashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:40 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainwashed View Post
I would demo both of the boards that you are looking at if at all possible. The T.Rice is a great board, but I've never ridden the Never Summers.

If you haven't looked at it yet, I would look into the Lib Tech Banana Magic. The Factory is already out of them and I can't recommend the board enough for how you describe what you ride.
Thanks B-washed. Unfortunately out here in the Midwest the only guys that can demo boards are the guys who work in the local shops and they usually got them all checked out, (that is if the shops allow demo's - some places only allow rentals which are like rossie's or beginner burton's.) The inventory for demo boards are slim to none and aren't as stocked as I've seen it out West. Sucks...I'll read up on the Banana Magic. Any suggestion on what the right size would be for me?
Old 12-17-2012, 05:02 PM   #4 (permalink)

I own the 157 Banana Magic, but I do zero park stuff. I might go in there this year with my son and I wouldn't consider the Magic a good dedicated park board, but I have seen an amazing rider in the park on one, and he ripped on it. I know my local Lib Tech shop owner wanted to get a Banana Magic and he is another great park rider as well as and over all excellent all mountain and big air rider.

In the widwest, if you don't get much deep snow (I don't know what your conditions are first hand) I think you could get away with either the 157 or the 154. The 157 is a touch longer than my old 159 and rides solid on the hard pack.

I weight 175 with out gear. If I wanted a more playful length for jibs I would personally go with the 154, but I wanted more deep snow/powder float and have a 159. I had it in 14"-24" of light powder yesterday and I'm actually surprised at how well it floats. I think this is due to the pronounced nose kick and the rocker or 'banana' that the board has. If you don't get as much deep in your area, you might be happy with the float of the 154. I haven't ridden one but it might be enough float for me and I wouldn't know.

The Magic is a carving machine. If you like to carve and haul butt, this board is a good time. It has Lib's tightest side cut and feels like it can carve circles.

I know that my local shop owner went to order a 157 and the factory is out of them. Now he can't get one directly and he is going with the T.Rice with the powder nose as a second choice. If you decide you want the Magic, I wouldn't wait too long to pick one up so you make sure you get one.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
I own the 157 Banana Magic, but I do zero park stuff. I might go in there this year with my son and I wouldn't consider the Magic a good dedicated park board, but I have seen an amazing rider in the park on one, and he ripped on it. I know my local Lib Tech shop owner wanted to get a Banana Magic and he is another great park rider as well as and over all excellent all mountain and big air rider.

In the widwest, if you don't get much deep snow (I don't know what your conditions are first hand) I think you could get away with either the 157 or the 154. The 157 is a touch longer than my old 159 and rides solid on the hard pack.

I weight 175 with out gear. If I wanted a more playful length for jibs I would personally go with the 154, but I wanted more deep snow/powder float and have a 159. I had it in 14"-24" of light powder yesterday and I'm actually surprised at how well it floats. I think this is due to the pronounced nose kick and the rocker or 'banana' that the board has. If you don't get as much deep in your area, you might be happy with the float of the 154. I haven't ridden one but it might be enough float for me and I wouldn't know.

The Magic is a carving machine. If you like to carve and haul butt, this board is a good time. It has Lib's tightest side cut and feels like it can carve circles.

I know that my local shop owner went to order a 157 and the factory is out of them. Now he can't get one directly and he is going with the T.Rice with the powder nose as a second choice. If you decide you want the Magic, I wouldn't wait too long to pick one up so you make sure you get one.
How tall are you brainwashed? This board would primarily be my POW board for out West, so main concern is the floatiness of it out West and whether or not the 153 of the T.Rice will hold up or 154 of NS. Out here it's hard pack and ice, so there's really nothing to shred or rip unless i head up North. Also do you notice the board to be chatty at all at steeps? From what I have read on some of the reviews of that board, that was the common theme with it. Obviously, different skill levels, and conditions vary and contribute to one's review on a board. But just wanted to know ur thoughts.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:59 PM   #6 (permalink)

I'm 175lbs and 5' 9" - 41 years old. Strong Intermediate skill level. Was a snowboard instructor for two seasons in 1990-92 at Mt. Hood Meadows, OR. and one season at Crystal Mt., WA in 1996-97. I used to race alpine boards and ran plate bindings in the 90's on Mt. Hoods bullet proof ice. I'm now 40 years old, and riding with my son and working on riding fakie or switch at speed. Woohoo.

I personally wouldn't consider the Banana Magic a dedicated powder board, there are some really amazing boards for that... If you are looking for a dedicated powder board for trips to the west coast I think there are better options. If it was me I would want a board with a narrower tail than nose with some setback. The Magic is a true twin.

I would look towards the Lib Tech El Nina or the Jones Hovercraft or Capita Charlie Slasher or the Burton powder boards ala Fish, Malao, but for a stiff twin tip that carves really well the Magic is better than I would have expected in the powder. I would consider the Magic more of a "quiver killer" board where it's good all around with a slant towards carving.

I can get a little "thrumming" from the tail at very high speeds on icey hardpack when I am really flying but I wouldn't consider the board chattery or unstable at speed. Not to try to put words in his mouth, but the local shop owner agree's with this opinion. We were talking about the Magic last night and how well rounded it is. I personally feel like it's better in more area's than any board has a right to be, while still being a twin tip freestyle board.

What reviews are you reading? I'm like to check them out too.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
I'm 175lbs and 5' 9" - 41 years old. Strong Intermediate skill level. Was a snowboard instructor for two seasons in 1990-92 at Mt. Hood Meadows, OR. and one season at Crystal Mt., WA in 1996-97. I used to race alpine boards and ran plate bindings in the 90's on Mt. Hoods bullet proof ice. I'm now 40 years old, and riding with my son and working on riding fakie or switch at speed. Woohoo.

I personally wouldn't consider the Banana Magic a dedicated powder board, there are some really amazing boards for that... If you are looking for a dedicated powder board for trips to the west coast I think there are better options. If it was me I would want a board with a narrower tail than nose with some setback. The Magic is a true twin.

I would look towards the Lib Tech El Nina or the Jones Hovercraft or Capita Charlie Slasher or the Burton powder boards ala Fish, Malao, but for a stiff twin tip that carves really well the Magic is better than I would have expected in the powder. I would consider the Magic more of a "quiver killer" board where it's good all around with a slant towards carving.

I can get a little "thrumming" from the tail at very high speeds on icey hardpack when I am really flying but I wouldn't consider the board chattery or unstable at speed. Not to try to put words in his mouth, but the local shop owner agree's with this opinion. We were talking about the Magic last night and how well rounded it is. I personally feel like it's better in more area's than any board has a right to be, while still being a twin tip freestyle board.

What reviews are you reading? I'm like to check them out too.
2 reviews that I read were on evo. And I stand corrected, I'm looking more for an all-mountain board but with more emphasis on POW as 70% of my sessions are thru trees, backcountry and groomers. Thanks for the info though!
Old 12-17-2012, 09:19 PM   #8 (permalink)

Any other good advice?
Old 12-17-2012, 11:12 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned!

I'd go with the 154, but the 57 would work fine. Proto.

FWIW lined my Proto up with the old profile Evo (non-blunted, still RC). My 54 had matching contact points as the 58 Evo (extended rail length, blunted tips).

A blunted Proto or Evo is not the same in CM for comparison with other boards IMO.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:43 AM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

157 Lib TRS over the rice.
Lstarrasl is offline   Reply With Quote