burton vs gnu - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2012, 12:38 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default burton vs gnu

I'm 6'3" 275 lbs with a boot size of 12/13 (depending on brand). I ride a burton baron 172 right now, but I'm looking for a new board that is shorter. I want to be able to play around more on runs instead of bombing stuff all the time. I ride mostly groomers, tree runs and powder whenever I can get it. I go into the park on occasion.

I'm wondering how short I can go considering my weight. I have kinda narrowed my choice down to a burton custom flying v or a gnu rider's choice. They each come with a 162W and I'm wondering if that would work ok with my weight.

Also, how does the magne-traction compare to the frostbite edges? I live in MN so I typically deal with man-made crap and icy conditions, but I make trips out west when I can. I need something that will do well in powder/tree runs as well.

Thanks for your time

Last edited by beercrafter; 12-18-2012 at 12:42 AM.
beercrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2012, 02:27 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beercrafter View Post
I'm 6'3" 275 lbs with a boot size of 12/13 (depending on brand). I ride a burton baron 172 right now, but I'm looking for a new board that is shorter. I want to be able to play around more on runs instead of bombing stuff all the time. I ride mostly groomers, tree runs and powder whenever I can get it. I go into the park on occasion.

I'm wondering how short I can go considering my weight. I have kinda narrowed my choice down to a burton custom flying v or a gnu rider's choice. They each come with a 162W and I'm wondering if that would work ok with my weight.

Also, how does the magne-traction compare to the frostbite edges? I live in MN so I typically deal with man-made crap and icy conditions, but I make trips out west when I can. I need something that will do well in powder/tree runs as well.

Thanks for your time
I really don't think you need to worry much about edge bite at 275 lbs. You are putting way more pressure into the snow than most of us. So I wouldn't worry too much about magne vs. frostbite.

Personally I would be looking at the Flow Rush 163w. One of the best all mountain twins I have ever been on. Flow's sidecuts are grippy and smooth, rolled base between the feet with the boob implants makes it super smooth, and tons of snap.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks Nivek. I looked at the Flow Rush online and it seem like a board worth researching. I will see if they have one to look at next time I go over to the house.

The thing I was more concerned about with my weight was the length of the board. I hope a 162/163 can handle all of my husky goodness.
beercrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

You mentioned the GNU riders choice, of the two I would give it the nod. You're not much heavier than me, I would be nervous going below 166cm, it's largest size. Also GNU has a great rep and is American made. Good luck.
Mpjames 09 is offline   Reply With Quote