Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Setback for powder day, NeverSummer Premier? (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/52412-setback-powder-day-neversummer-premier.html)

stimyg 12-18-2012 12:49 PM

Setback for powder day, NeverSummer Premier?

I'm an advanced east coast rider, currently in Breckenridge - and there's lots of snow! Amazing!

So I'm not all that used to riding powder. I've got my 157 Never Summer Premiere (I'm 5'7" 155lbs if it matters.) The board has a built in 1.5" setback. Should I be setting it back further for tomorrow's powder? And if so how much? (Supposed to get another 12" in the next 24 hours, so they say.)

I know there's no one answer to this. But just throw out some suggestions would be great.

Thanks!

StreetDoc 12-18-2012 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stimyg (Post 554083)
I'm an advanced east coast rider, currently in Breckenridge - and there's lots of snow! Amazing!

So I'm not all that used to riding powder. I've got my 157 Never Summer Premiere (I'm 5'7" 155lbs if it matters.) The board has a built in 1.5" setback. Should I be setting it back further for tomorrow's powder? And if so how much? (Supposed to get another 12" in the next 24 hours, so they say.)

I know there's no one answer to this. But just throw out some suggestions would be great.

Thanks!

My Heritage is setback about the same and I've had no problems in knee deep powder. Remember, powder is slow so steeper is better and don't slow down! That board is a little big for you (IMO, I ride a 158W heritage and I'm 200lb naked) you should be fine.

KIRKRIDER 12-18-2012 01:23 PM

All the way back.

Quote:

Thanks!

hktrdr 12-18-2012 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StreetDoc (Post 554099)
Quote:

Thanks!

My Heritage is setback about the same and I've had no problems in knee deep powder. Remember, powder is slow so steeper is better and don't slow down! That board is a little big for you (IMO, I ride a 158W heritage and I'm 200lb naked) you should be fine.

Erm, I believe the default setback on both these boards is about half of what you guys are describing. 1.5" would be pretty much powder board territory.

Also, he cannot go smaller on the Premier F1 - in fact, NS even discontinued the 157 size...

stimyg 12-18-2012 03:08 PM

Sorry I'm not sure what the default setback is - don't have the board in front of me - but currently I have it set to the default. So the question is, should I go farther?

Just from riding yesterday I felt like it could go back a bit - just don't know what the standard is for this kind of thing, what most people do, on average.

stimyg 12-18-2012 03:14 PM

Also, while I'm at it - I change my stance according to what kind of riding I'm doing. So at times my stance width can change by 1-1.5". And yesterday I was thinking I should widen out the stance I'd had set on there a bit.

With that in mind - is it more the front leg or the back leg that you want to move back, in powder? Or are they equally important? (I know the standard is just to take your usual stance and move it back, just curious which has more influence on the floatability.)

Thanks.

Argo 12-18-2012 03:17 PM

I set mine back 1.5" as tha is m factory setback on my smokin

StreetDoc 12-18-2012 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hktrdr (Post 554159)
Erm, I believe the default setback on both these boards is about half of what you guys are describing. 1.5" would be pretty much powder board territory.

Also, he cannot go smaller on the Premier F1 - in fact, NS even discontinued the 157 size...

I never told him to go smaller, just said that's a large board for his weight. Also I'm 99% positive my factory setback is between 1-1.5" on my heritage.

hktrdr 12-18-2012 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StreetDoc (Post 554187)
I never told him to go smaller, just said that's a large board for his weight. Also I'm 99% positive my factory setback is between 1-1.5" on my heritage.

Wrong, that board is perfectly fine in size for his weight and riding.

Also wrong on the setback for the Heritage.

hktrdr 12-18-2012 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Argo (Post 554181)
I set mine back 1.5" as tha is m factory setback on my smokin

I thought you had the KT-22 (1" setback)?

What is it with people in this thread not knowing the setbacks on their boards?